Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just a quick question about beagles and jumping...I know this is a common puppy thing but we are really struggling with it. My son is little and so the playtime can get dangerous when Benji gets too excited. He also jumps up on everything! My sons highchair, the glass sliding door if he's put outside, my kitchen bench when I'm cooking. It is driving me mad! The only thing that keeps him busy in a treat toy but then I feel like I am rewarding the negative jumping behavior. Any advice?

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
Hi, I recommend keeping your puppy in a restricted area. I created a fenced in area within my dining room and moved some furniture to keep it secure. It's a pain but eventually you can make changes as your puppy gets more mature. That said, I couldn't figure out how she was escaping until I saw her easily jump over 3 feet.
How old is your dog? Is your puppy biting? Its a stage they go through and should be monitored. Go to SEARCH on this site and put in keywords like biting to read past posts or read up on that. Your child is young, apparently, so watch carefully that behavior.
This stage will pass but it takes plenty of patience and consistency in training. Im a puppy survivor so Ive been there. Keep us posted we're here to help.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I agree - Cassie knows!!!! Just like you would restrict your small child's movements (because they can self-destruct in seconds - lol) you need to restrict your puppy's movements too. And since puppies - and dogs - get over-excited by a toddler's higher pitched voice and erratic movements (and 'free' food), you should restrict contact - and never leave them alone together. Think about a crate - not as a punishment, but as a 'quiet time' calm down area - your toddler should never 'trespass' in your puppy's 'den' - dogs need a place of refuge too. One of the most important things that we can teach a child - or a puppy - is how to calm themselves in a positive manner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts