Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there!

I'm thinking of buying a beagle. My heart is set on this breed and one other - the Bichon. Are these two breeds good together? (one is quite lazy and the other active, one needs little grooming, the other a lot - seems to balance each other out)
Should i get them together? i read somewhere you weren't supposed to raise two pups together as they grew up best pals with each other instead of you!
Also - are beagles good with cats? should i get a kitten first, raise it for a year or so then add the dogs or the other way around?

Also - do beagles like the cold? i'm talking alpine temperature in the winter, ski resort temp. just incase he/she wanted to come on holiday with me!

thanks for your help. :wave:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I have no experience with the Bichon breed. But as far as raising two pups at the same time, people do it all the time. With Beagles it may actually be a benefit as they are prone to develop separation anexity(sp?). Having another pup around may help. But you will also need to be twice as patient and vigilant.

Beagles are hunters so they do love being outside. However, prolonged exposure to cold temps are not good for the Beags. They have a coat that will not sufficiently protect them. They have very little coat on the belly which is designed for moving through the woods while tracking and also helps helps with heat disapation which is no good in the snow or cold for long periods.

A Huskey or Malamute have coats that helps sutain life in the cold, Beagles do not.

Cats and Beagles can co-exist, several on this site do it. Just not my "cup of tea" so to speak.

Good luck /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
786 Posts
To answer your first question, yes beagles and bichons will get along. Our neighbor has a bichon who always comes over and plays with our girls and they are one month apart.

Second quesion about the cats. Most dogs and cats will get along. I have one cat who is 11 and he has been raised with several different breeds of dogs. The biggest being a German Shephard and the smallest being the beagles. The girls realize he has nails.....and will chase them. No they probably will never sleep together, but as long as they can get along thats fine.

Third I have two litter mates and I'm sure you'll hear alot of different reasoning for raising together/to not raising together. I keep each in a seperate cage and at night they sleep apart. As long as you can treat them as seperate indiviuals that should be fine...

Good luck and I hope this helped?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I have a grumpy old cat and a beagle puppy. Sox doesn't like to play Caesar but he always tries. I'm sure if they were raised together they would get along fine. As for the cold and snow, Caesar loves it! He dives into the snow head first, rolls in it, eats it...loves it. I will take him for a walk and I'll be cold but he wants to stay out and I have to drag him inside. I once heard that dogs who are in the snow a lot grow more fur between the pads on their paws and Caesar has very furry paws. He can't stay outside long in -30 degree weather though. That's Husky weather. But Caesar does just great our Canadian winter. I think it depends on where your raised, just like people. I hope this helps.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Hi Sarah, welcome to beagle world. Two pups can be wonderful or double the trouble and expense. Puppy training is hard work. We rescued two beagles a year ago (5 and six years of age) and they have been a great comfort for one another.
I see you like travelling, do you know all about the requirements the UK have for entering the country with a dog or cat? The first time requires 7 months preparation. If you want the full details let me know. We travel to the Uk several times a year with our two.

As for the cold, beagles are quite hardy as long as they are not locked out in the cold for long periods.
Whereabouts in Scotland are you? We are off to Scotland next month with our pack! First to England, then Wales before heading north to Perthshire.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
My friend has a Bichon, and her personality is sweet and lovable just like my beagle. Bichon's must be groomed, but they don't shed (a plus!); Beagles don't have to be groomed (a plus!), but they do shed.

Either breed will be a great companion, and from my limited experience, they would also be friends for one another.

However....I would choose ONE and raise it/housetrain it/obedience train it BEFORE getting another pup. Whatever bad habits one has, the other will learn.....(just ask the mother of any twins)
ON the flip side, they will LOVE being together when you're gone.....but be good to yourself and adopt one at a time.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Welcome Sarah, all the way in Scotland! :bounce:
Let me tell you, it is very excited getting a puppy, I was too! But you must commit yourself with a lot of hard work. With Charlie, I had him when he was 14 weeks, boy, I thought I plunged back into taking care of a new born infant! You must take the pup out regardless of what time in the night for his potty, in the cold, sometimes several times at night. Not to discourage you at all, it is very rewarding afterwards. I'm talking about 1 puppy, 2 pups, I do not think I can handle....it's just me. Puppy chews too, so prepare for all these before you make up your mind. Having regreting later on will be too sad for the puppy. A lot of us here on board like to adopt a rescue, you may want to consider that too. There are lots of wonderful beagles out there waiting for a lovely home just like yours. But of course the choice is yours. Good luck!!! And welcome again.

Charlie mom

·
Registered
889 Posts
Firstly welcome to the site Sarah :wave:

I would say to get one pup at a time. Training one pup is hard enough. When the pup is fairly well trained and in a routine then think of getting another pup. I would get the Bichon first and work on its recall then when you get your beagle pup it will follow the Bichon and learn quicker.

When the dogs are about 1 year old then introduce the kitten as dogs accept kittens alot better than cats accept puppies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts