Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what the heck is it?

6-8 inches long
All natural, no preservatives
Brand: Merrick

Ingredients: Beef tendon/pizzle
Source: All products raised and processed in the U.S.A.
Packaged in the U.S.A.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Pizzle is a proper word for that cut of meat. I’m less concerned with protein from those parts than some of the other parts that make it to non-Kosher franks. I’m less excited about other “meats” like Head Cheese and ain’t to keen on a fine meal of Haggis but that reflects my cowboy upbringing.

Quote:Originally posted by Marley's Mommy:
guess I won't be buying that one for Marley. Nope!
If that offends your eating sensibilities, steer clear of Rocky Mountain Oysters.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I've given the girls these and they do like them. There safer than Raw Hyde and it takes them a while to eat them. I'e also tried Flossies by Merick. These are bull tendons and there in a spiral shape.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Marley's Mommy:
guess I won't be buying that one for Marley. Nope!
My thoughts exactly. :pukey: Jersey will not be getting one of those in her stocking!

I have given Jersey the spiral ones by Merrick, the flossies? She loves, loves, loves the Merrick sow ears. They are huge pig ears and they are puffed with air so they are really lightweight. She keeps sniffing at the pig snouts when I take her into the pet shop but I refuse to buy those. They look too gross.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
They may sound gross but you will have one really happy beagle if you give one to them, my two LOVE them and it really helps to keep their teeth clean. I was grossed out at first but when I saw how much they liked them, I didn't have the heart not to give them any more.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Spencer's Mum:
They may sound gross but you will have one really happy beagle if you give one to them, my two LOVE them and it really helps to keep their teeth clean. I was grossed out at first but when I saw how much they liked them, I didn't have the heart not to give them any more.
I couldn't agree more. Its a little odd, granted, but there's nothing Hunter likes more. It does smell, and it makes him a little gassier than usual, but he absolutely loves them.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I just found out about bully sticks not that long ago. From what I read (here and other places) they are much better for the pups than most other chew treats. Mine love them.

Sure, they smell. But so do pig's ears, etc.
I've been cutting them (good luck) in to short, (4 inch) pieces so they get eaten all at once and don't end up laying around the house.

I'm not really bothered by the idea of what they are. Heck, my dogs eat POOP! :pukey:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Chase Mommy:
Quote:Originally posted by Karebru:

I'm not really bothered by the idea of what they are. Heck, my dogs eat POOP! :pukey:
Exactly. I heard of them before. My other dog loved it.
I agree with you two. I also like that they don't ahve preservatives, and the idea of finding uses for more parts of the animal instead of it being thrown out.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Quote: pfr, does it take them longer to eat the pizzles than the flossies? Gage inhales flossies, and I'd like to get something that'll last longer
It takes them a little while longer, but it also depends on the dog. We give them as special treats. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.