Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know, I've been struggling with potty training issues with Maggie from the get go. Tomorrow she'll be eleven months old, and she's still far from being considered potty trained. She pretty much goes outside on command, but continues to both pee and poop in the house whenever she feels like it...usually 1-3 times/day.

My biggest concern however, is that she pees in her sleep very frequently. She sleeps through the night, and never needs to get up to go potty, and has only had one accident on the bed since we've had her.

It's during the daytime that she bedwets. We can take her outside, she'll go potty, then she'll come in and play for a little while, then decide to take a nap on either the sofa, one of the beds, or her crate. At least 2-3 times a week, she pees in her sleep, and doesn't even wake up...she continues sleeping and laying in her pee.

We've tried waking her up and taking her outside as soon as she decides to take a nap, but it still happens. Does anyone have any idea why she pees in her sleep during the day, but not at night? We've had her checked in the past for UTI, and nothing. We also control her water intake. I'm just so frustrated.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Has the vet checked for anything other than UTI? Sometimes after they are spayed, the have problems controlling their sphincter (I hope that's the correct word).

Worth a try....

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only thing the vet has checked her for is UTI...that was back when she was between 4-5 months old. He did a complete blood count and a chemistry panel when she was 6 month old, right before her spay, and that would have shown if she had any kidney problems, and it did not. Also, I just can't figure out why she's able to hold it all night, but not during the day when she's napping.

I know some dogs have problems holding their urine after they've beed spayed/neutered, but Maggie has been doing this long before she was spayed. I guess since she'll be turning a year old next month, it's starting to get on my nerves. She REALLY needs to be potty trained.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
honestly i was where u were a month ago , like really really frustrated. My pup is only 5 months though. We are almost 100 percent i'd say like 95. The way we went, was when he peed or pooped inside, we'd yell and say no and look really upset and IMMEDIATLY, right away!, plopped him outside in the yard alone. usually for about 15 mins. Because pups have short memory spans it has to be RIGHT when their doing it or right when they finish. Get really upset and angry faced even if your not and say no! and plop him outside. Everytime he went outside he got LOTS of hugs and kisses afterward. Now that part isn't even needed we just open the door he goes by himself does what he needs to and runs back to the door to be let in. Idk if that'll help but its what we did and it worked, it also helped with pooping at night in the crate, since in the morning he got scolded and a bath following by being alone drying in the family room which as you know puppies dont like to be alone. So yea thats what we did. hope it helps somewhat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Maybe your dog's personal hygine is low. She must pick up some habbit that living with her waste product is not so bad. I train my dog to poop inside. I have a small space set up for him with a lot of news paper at the moment. I am planing to build a toilet (indoor garden with toilet system under it) for him in that space.

I used to put him in a crate during the night when we first got him, he only poop in the crate when it's over his limit (5+ hours) because I thought that he might magically hold it...which was my bad.

Alright, back to my suggestion. If you caught your dog during the act DO NOT say NO just startle him Ah! should be enough but you must feel really upset that he potty inside the house. Dog can sense that. I dont have to speak or scold or praise him verbally anymore. They sense it automatically if you are really bond with them. After you Ah! her, she might stop, lift her up (which will physically stop them from poop or pee) but dont charge her. Take her outside calmly. Put her down and let her finish. While waiting, ignore her and keep saying command.

Originally Posted By: SephlyEverytime he went outside he got LOTS of hugs and kisses afterward.
Praise her RIGHT AWAY. Try to pet her and feel happy about it when she potty outside. If you praise her verbally or give them treat...some beagles will take that oh, poop is good. If I want treat...just poop). You can praise her AFTERWARD when she knows to potty outside. Hugs and kisses will increase a chance of losing your bealge in off leash tracking. They take it as a sign of submissive.

You must time a praise and scold at the right time. I know one beagle that must have careless trainer. The trainer must praised the poor dog when he spot and pat a mine during trainig. That dog keep patting every mine (live one on patrol) stead of barking or sit in front of it ever since.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hmm...I don't think it sounds like Maggie is purposely urinating indoors. From the description, it seems she is pottying during her sleep (which may be medically related vs. behavioral)...all these suggestions are fantastic at potty training though.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey had the same problem Gale. She was totally housebroken but I'd find an occassional wet spot. Sometimes on the floor, sometimes the sofa, but always in a spot where she had just been napping. Then one day I was sitting with her on the sofa. She was napping and I looked down at her and saw the urine just flowing out of her. Has Maggie already been spayed? Sometimes when a dog is spayed before they have their first heat, it can cause problems. Their bladder walls don't strengthen enough and when they relax while sleeping the uring flows out. It can happen sometimes even if they had their first heat. My vet did some testing and came to the conclusion that this was Jersey's problem. She is on a drug called PPA (Phenylproponolamine) for it. Right now she's on 12.5 mg/2x per day. It's cheap (costs me $24 for a 2 month supply), no known side effects and works wonderfully. There is also a natural product called Leaks No More that I know Judy has had a lot of success with on her Maggie. I would let your vet know what is going on and have him check Maggie out some more.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally Posted By: NathayutMaybe your dog's personal hygine is low.
I don't think her hygine is a problem, she cleans herself regularly, gets her teeth brushed every day, and gets a bath every two weeks. We pretty much do everything you suggested as far as scolding and praising, but she just doesn't seem to care.

Momtothreebeagles - I do work during the day, but my son is home during the day and he is diligent about taking her out for potty breaks. I'm home on the weekends, and the same thing happens then as during the week.

Jen - Thanks for the info on the medication, I'm going to give the vet a call and see if he can see her this week. She's been doing this since before her spay, but it definitely seenms worse since her spay.

Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions, we're just going to keep plugging along and hope she finally gets it.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
My Li'l Girl's on a small dose of PPA, too. She used to have the accidents while sleeping, and the PPA has completely stopped them. As Jen said, it's very inexpensive.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Popcorn never peed when sleeping but when she was younger she used to poop when sleeping - also definitely unpleasant. Several vets said that simply could not happen - notwithstanding that I saw it with my own eyes - so we never got to the bottom of why it was happening. She eventually just grew out of it - thank goodness. Hope you can sort out the problem and get a solution.

And we do feel your pain in the meantime - since over the past few days Buzz has started peeing anywhere and everywhere... including in our bed at 5 am yesterday morning (joy), several times when he has been playing with Moose, and then later on yesterday on the bed again just out of the blue (he was just standing there and it happened - he didn't lift his leg or anything). He is getting tested for a UTI (waiting for the darn culture to grow now), which hopefully is the problem since that seems to be easily fixed with antibiotics, but I have also been away on two separate work trips the past week so maybe the upsetting of his new routine has something to do with it. Whatever it is I really hope we can get to the bottom of it soon - we are completely out of duvets and duvet covers at this point (between the ones he has peed on and the ones he has eaten) and the washing machine is running full time... when we ran out of duvets we put sleeping bags on the bed instead and then he peed on one of those - needless to say he is now banished from the bedroom and I had a chilly night's sleep last night!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts