Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an update from Beasley's 2nd vet visit. She's gained weight. Now she's a whopping 11.5 lbs...And her ear infection has cleared up...so no more ear drops!

She does have what the Vet described as a dog-version of Diaper rash. I guess she gets so low to go potty that she splashes on herself. He suggested just using normal diaper rash cream, any suggestions?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Good vet report, especially about Beasley's ear infection! Re diaper rash cream -- head out to your nearest CVS and grab all the jars of "Dr. Smith's Diaper Rash Cream" that you can find. It is being discontinued and is 1/2 price and is the best stuff around. Every time I pass a CVS, I go in and buy them up so, if you live in the Tampa Bay area, you might have trouble finding any left! :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
When my son had bad diaper rash (as in second degree skin irritation), my favorite was always Kroger Brand Diaper Rash cream. I found that it was thicker and stayed on much longer.

~Denise

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I used hydrocortisone 1% on Charlie once out of desperation. It worked, but careful she won't lick it. Check out the petstore, they might have something. Or soaked a sponge of light baking soda water, clean the affected area. A friend told me it worked.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
I've also used Otomax on Miss Shiloh for this problem. You get it from the vet--it's more of a liquid than a cream, and it can also be dropped into the ears for ear infection. It's not greasy or sticky.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Another suggestion re urine irritation -- get some baby wipes (not doggie wipes -- they are outrageously expensive -- I buy the newborn wipes as they are especially gentle) and give her a gentle wipe after she urinates. Then, 2 or 3x a day, after area is dry, put on the diaper rash cream. The reason I like the Dr. Smith's is that it is quickly absorbed into the skin and, therefore, doesn't end up on the carpet! Maggie must like the feel of it -- she is great about letting me put it on.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Suzy has not had any type of irritation but every other day I do wipe her areas with a baby wipe. When Suzy goes potty she does it half female and half male. She squats and lifts a leg! Poor beagle she may be confused /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Suzys mumma:
Suzy has not had any type of irritation but every other day I do wipe her areas with a baby wipe. When Suzy goes potty she does it half female and half male. She squats and lifts a leg! Poor beagle she may be confused /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
Really, I just wipe his behind with a bath towel, I have some used old ones in the garage.
Charlie is 1 1/2 years old, still kind of confuse of pee pee and poo poo. He would stand on his one hind leg,lift up the other and poo instead. :biglaugh: There are times he lift it up too high he trip over.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts