Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since her surgery, I've been allowing beasley a little more room than usual while I'm away at work. Instead of crating her, I've been leaving her in our kitchen with a baby gate. She seems to responding very well to the extra space. No accidents.

Well this morning, I did as I usually do, leaving her with some toys in the kitchen with the gate up. As I was pulling out of my parking spot, I realized that I had forgotten my cell phone, so I pulled back in and ran into the house. When I opened the door, who was waiting patiently for me? Beasley. Just sitting right at the front door looking up at me like nothing was wrong.

I went over to the kitchen to see if I had forgotten to latch the gate, or if she had pulled it out (which she had gotten close to before). But nope, the gate was up. I guess she learned to climb...I had to laugh at that.

So, back in the crate for her today. Maybe I'll have to get a taller baby gate or something.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
What a neat trick!! Of course, a beagle named Beasley would have to be very smart!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif My daughter is into geneological research and discovered a whole line of my ancestores named Beasley!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Marley loves to stand on two, and jump so I had no choice but to get a high gate from the start. I am afraid as he grows, he will outgrow the gate and jump over. He is already close at 5 months old

·
Registered
25 Posts
Aww...

Bo learned how to do that right away. She was only 2 months old at the time. Now, we've got an exercise pen, our temporary fencing, set up for her in the back. She climbed right out of that 48' sucker. Amazing, yet VERY annoying

·
Registered
134 Posts
I hope Snoopy doesn't read this - so far he hasn't legged it over our baby gates yet. ( he has gotten out of our backyard a few times in the past week though....so we are getting a new fence...$5000...one expensive beagle indeedy!! Worth every cent though :biglaugh:

·
Registered
326 Posts
After Sally and Leia's expedition from climbing over their box and eating all the cat food, we decided to get a HIGH baby gate. This worked until a few months ago. We both thought we were going insane, we swear we closed the gate, but we'd get home at night and find one frantic little Leia outside because agile Sally had got over the gate somehow. Leia would be too the point of hyperventilating sometimes.

One day I heard the gate rattling and banging, so I thought I'd sit there and watch. The little turd, she would get her front arms up over the top and hook on, while her little back legs scrambled to get some grip on something and scale the gate. She looked pretty happy with herself afterwards!

We can't do anything about the gate, but we do always make sure the gate to our room is closed. If they are inside, their inside. But most of the time the gate keeps them outside. If anything it's a deterrant.

(... Erin)

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
This reminds me of the time our last beagle, Spotty, was on heat. A tiny Jack-Russel would get over a 6ft wire fence to get in our garden. He would 'walk' up the fence and once at the top throw himself over. Amazing he never hurt himself.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Just to ilustrate we caught Gwenni as aa 12 week old puppy climbing like a cat

Very funny

Gwenni thinking I want outta here

Getting ready for the great escape

Up we go

Up up and away!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
heehee...look at Gwenni's ears in that last one!!! what a determined little look on her face! too cute!!

I'm sure Snoopy has been logging onto beagle world and reading the messages when I'm out...this morning he was on the wrong side of the baby gate when I came back from dropping the eldest at school....cheeeeeky beeeeagie!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
None of my dogs have ever been able to climb stuff(atleast that I know of, lol!), but they always find someway to escape. Once my dad opened the gate of their pen to go feed them, and Cowboy juked him with a spin move and he was GONE... until we got the cheez out!lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts