Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have to get rid of Bear,He attacked Kona this morning.
Konas ear is torn open,and was bleeding alot.
The vet cleaned it and said just watch for no infection...
One of the problems i am having with this is i never seen it coming to this extent,The dogs have always had some problems(the joys of a multi dog home)but never this bad.
I am torn on what to do with Bear(currently in his crate),Should i put him to sleep?or just rehome him?I am so upset because maybe if i seen it coming i could have done something to prevent the fight.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I am sorry about Bear, if you are looking to no longer have him, I would relocate him. For me, putting pets down is never an option unless for serve health reasons, perhaps he is better in a home without other pets. I know it's tough choice but you gotta do what's safe for your pets and what's fair for Bear too. Hope you are able to find something for him.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Ok - first, I take it you are really upset by this? It did happen earlier today rite - time has passed and hopefully you have had a little time to calm down. I am at work rite now so can't go into a lot of detail but a few facts before any rash decisions are made. Bear is your lab/MastiffX rite and Kona was a rescue turned failed foster - meaning you kept him/her? How old is Bear - is this a new behavior for him? He may need a complete vet check to see if he is having a new physical problem that could make him act out - it happens.

Gotta get back to work - leave the dog in his crate for now UNLESS and only if you are around to supervise 24/7.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sorry you are going through this! I do not know Bear or Kona or the history behind them, but I would not put down a dog for well, being a dog. Dogs fight just like people fight. Sometimes dog personalities clash with one another.

If this is a new behavior for Bear I would have the vet run a full blood panel including thyroid. Unfortunately, I just had to put my 4 yr. old show dane to sleep in December due to a very low thyroid. His behavior started to change the beginning of December with sudden little, minor attacks on my other danes. The full blood panel with thyroid done revealed low thyroid. Unfortunately, the attacks escalated to not just dogs, but people. I am not saying this will be the case with Bear, but something to check out.

If blood work is normal, than you might want to hire a professional animal behaviorist and/or trainer to come to your house to evaluate both dogs in their home setting. Something could have set off the dogs that you didn't notice.

In the meantime, keep them seperated, and keep all toys, bones and beds away. Leash one of them all times if possible so you don't take another risk of it happening again.

It can work, I know it can because I have gone through it and know a few other people that have.

Also, are you sure they weren't playing? My dogs have come away bleeding and yelping from playing.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hi, I personally don't know the background of you and your canines, however; This did not happen to someone elses dog, He did this to another animal that lives with you all, which is concidered family.

If this is a rare thing for bear to do, I would get him checked out
I would not have him put down, I would question WHY this happened perhaps over food bones etc..? if that's the case separate when feeding or even giving treats, normally pets work it out, if it's not working out, Relocate Bear without other animals this would be best I suppose, good luck, and peacefull thought to you and your pets:)

·
Registered
251 Posts
My question is which dog did you have first? If Bear was your first, and fine until Kona came on the scene, it could be jealousy and Bear should not be removed, but rather Kona be relocated. Doesn't seem fair to Bear if it goes the other way around...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay a quick background,They are both rescues i have had Bear about 8 months now and Kona 6 months(on and off including foster).
Bear was the cause of it there was no food around not even a toy on the floor,Kona was walking by him and he lunged and well attacked Kona.Umm in most ways this is a new behavior but yet in alot of ways it is not,He has always lunged,barked,growled at strange dogs but never our dogs in the home.
And unfortunatly it is not as easy as get rid of Kona and not Bear....If Bear does this to my fosters,Kona and Kass this is not going to work,yes i can stop fostering,yes i can get rid of Kona but in the end i can see him doing it to Kass and well Kass has been my companion for too long for me to get rid off,So in the end i will loose alot more than just one dog if i keep Bear(he has been snippy with all the dogs now)
Bear has a vet appointment on Thursday then by the weekend i will figure out what to do.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well an update Bear will be going to stay at a friends place for a few days until his vet visit and we get all the results then figure it out from there.

·
Registered
650 Posts
When I read the title I thought a BEAR (as in grizzly) attacked Kona! Sorry to hear that you're going through this, and hope that everything works out well. Tummy rubs for Kona that his ear is ok.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I don't know if this is the sort of thing that you want to hear but I do know people who have had problems with inter-pack aggression between their dogs and with the right guidance from a behaviourist have been able to fix it. I think you have more chance of fixing it than you would if you had two dogs who just didn't get along and were constantly fighting.

If it was me I would be contacting a reputable behaviourist ASAP to assess the situation so I knew if it was able to be fixed or if rehoming was the best solution.

I don't live the US so I can't recommend anyone in your area, although I can highly recommend contacting Suzanne Clothier as I'm sure she will be able to point you in the right direction;

http://flyingdogpress.com/

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bear being gone is only temporary until we get all the vet results,because if it is something medical until treated he will attack again so currently best solution is to be with my friends until we find out.Then i will take it from there,And i already know a behaviorist as we have one that helps the rescue group.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
I would be upset too. But I would consider them both my children and would do everything to work it out to keep them both. Sounds like you are doing this now. Good luck and I hope it all works out.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I too thought that BEAR in the title was an actual bear.

I'm glad you have a solution for now until you can see what the vet says.
I hope that Kona is feeling better and on the mend. How scary!

Keep your options open and use your resources (especially the behaviorist) and see what your options are after you've gotten the vet results.
Best wishes!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry i have had internet issues today,Well it does not seem that Bear has any actual medical issues that the vet can find.
Kona has been very traumatized though,He will only leave his crate when he needs out,acting very depressed(not his usual playful self).
But we have decided Bear will stay on the farm,They have no other dogs and Bear is loving the country air and being around the horses and such the farm is only 10 mins away from us and everyone there has fallen in love with him

We have offered to pay for a behaviorist to talk to the new home.
I am sorry that this is probably the ending most people did not want to hear but all the dogs are happy(except Kona,but with some work i hope he will be the same dog i remember) with the current arrangement.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: Kass's momI am sorry that this is probably the ending most people did not want to hear but all the dogs are happy(except Kona,but with some work i hope he will be the same dog i remember) with the current arrangement.
What we want is what is best for you and the dogs and it sounds like you have found the perfect solution -- please know that we support you! I am sure that, with time and lots of love from you, Kona will start to feel more secure venturing out of his crate. Perhaps the behaviorist has some suggestions to help along that process.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I think you are incorrect in assuming this was not what we wanted to hear. I think more of us are thrilled to see Bear living out his life on the farm than thinking you would have him put to sleep for his unacceptable behavior. I think things turned out great for all. Give Kona some time to heal physically and emotionally and I think he will be okay. Glad things are working out for everyone.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts