Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you guys will know the answer to this. I know that the AKC only recognized the 13 & 15 inch beagles as the 2 breeds but what is the difference between the ones with wider heads and stockier builds than the slimmer ones?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I don't know anything official but, since participating on this forum, I have noticed that our non-American beagle members have, generally speaking, a stockier build and a squarer (word?) head. Am sure someone will come along with more specific info ...

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya, that is exactly what I am talking about. Someone was saying that there is only 1 breed which I know but there are definitely distinct differences between Caleb, Leila & Sally to Sydney or Spencer.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Spencer's Mum:
Ya, that is exactly what I am talking about. Someone was saying that there is only 1 breed which I know but there are definitely distinct differences between Caleb, Leila & Sally to Sydney or Spencer.
I agree. I think it is one breed, but different blood lines. If you will import a european/australian beagle to the US you'll get those gorgeous bulkier squarer (I think it is a word) beagles here. If I'm not mistaken, there are some breeders that have those. Take UNO for example.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I am from the Uk and I always thought that US Beagles were square and stocky until I joined this forums the only US Beagles I had seen were from show lines and they resemble Uno's type,so perhaps it is all down to the breeding behind them.
In the UK Beagles from BYB and puppyfarm type breeding are not generally of the show type build,but are much finer and leggier.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Not sure about the differences inthe beagle breed, but my labs are two different body shapes. The male is leaner, with a taller body and longer legs and his head is thinner with a longer nose.

I was told that the difference in the labs has to do with a field dog's lines as opposed to a show dog's lines. The field dog is thinner and longer and the show dog is stockier with a more square head and broader chest.

Maybe beagles have the same differences as labs for the same reasons. Just a guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts