Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi and welcome! I can only speak from personal experience....I walk my lot off lead every day but it's been a long, hard slog, especially with Alfie, he's 2 and a half now and I only just trust him! I walk them in the same forest every day and we all know it very well, I don't walk them early morning or evening as there are always deer about then and as someone in an earlier post said, once they're on the chase nothing will stop them, they go deaf and the nose takes over, you really do have to get their attention before they start, you'll get to know the body language before a chase, just distract! I would suggest practising recalls with a long line attached first, lots of repetition and treats (Beagles are such foodies!) make coming back to you really fun! Once you are confident that have a reliable recall on the long line you can try it without a lead but I would suggest within an enclosed space first. You can (and should) do this from the day your Beagle comes home...every time your puppy is coming towards you, say come or whichever command you prefer for recall in an upbeat tone and use lots of praise, pup will soon learn that coming to you is great!
Use small treats, Beagles are prone to weight gain if overfed, but I think treats are so important to train a hound!
Good luck and we look forward to seeing some photos soon

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.