Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents promised me a puppy when I graduate and I would like to get a beagle. We live in the suburbs with a big enough backyard but we also own a ranch with about 100 acres. I have read in numerous places that it is very important to keep them in an enclosed area because they tend to roam but would the dog be okay to take up to the ranch on the weekends?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
First of all, welcome! Once you get your Beagle you should introduce him (and yourself) in the introduction forum.

Personally, I wouldn't let Chloe off leash unless the area is fully enlosed. I even check the dog runs in the city. When they are on a scent, they zone out and hell will freeze before they will listen to you (there might be highly unusual cases, but I wouldn't trust those 100% either).

You can set up an invisible fence, but I would keep an eye just in case...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunatly I can't put an invisible fence up at the ranch but we do have one at our house. Do you think it would be ok in the country for a weekend off leash?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think it's almost impossible to predict as it will depend entirely on your dog, and, to a lesser extent on its training.

Personally, I let my dog off her lead everyday, and when I visit friends who have an unfenced property in a very isolated area she spends all weekend 'free range' and absolutely loves it. But I know her, have spent a lot of time training her, and trust her not to wander off too far. Another dog could well be completely different...

·
Registered
837 Posts
It goes against a beagles instinct to be able to walk off lead reliably.

No ethical beagle breeder or rescue group I know would sell a beagle to someone without a fenced area, so you may have an issue getting a pup to start with.

I'd build a run or get a small part of your yard fenced. Beagles can not be trusted off lead. Ensuring your dog is in a secure yard is part of being a responsible dog owner.

ETA: Hoping that your pup won't have the more than 100 year old beagle instinct to run and scent is in my opinion not a responsible attitude to go in with. The breed is known for roaming, they are known to be very unreliable off leash and whilst some dogs in the breed may be better than others you can't just hope for the best. Know the breed inside and out and go in prepared

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I wouldn't call them unethical. I don't have a fenced yard, and Daisy does just fine. Personally, I don't see a fence as a requirement so long as you are willing to do walks, dog park trips, etc.

I wouldn't let Daisy off the lead in an open area, but it all depends on the Beagle and the training.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I wouldn't ever let daisy and rocky off lead but I have a friend who got her beagle as a pup and can let her off in her unfenced backyard. I guess it all depends on the dog and the training! Good luck and welcome!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi and welcome! I can only speak from personal experience....I walk my lot off lead every day but it's been a long, hard slog, especially with Alfie, he's 2 and a half now and I only just trust him! I walk them in the same forest every day and we all know it very well, I don't walk them early morning or evening as there are always deer about then and as someone in an earlier post said, once they're on the chase nothing will stop them, they go deaf and the nose takes over, you really do have to get their attention before they start, you'll get to know the body language before a chase, just distract! I would suggest practising recalls with a long line attached first, lots of repetition and treats (Beagles are such foodies!) make coming back to you really fun! Once you are confident that have a reliable recall on the long line you can try it without a lead but I would suggest within an enclosed space first. You can (and should) do this from the day your Beagle comes home...every time your puppy is coming towards you, say come or whichever command you prefer for recall in an upbeat tone and use lots of praise, pup will soon learn that coming to you is great!
Use small treats, Beagles are prone to weight gain if overfed, but I think treats are so important to train a hound!
Good luck and we look forward to seeing some photos soon

·
Registered
67 Posts
Originally Posted By: Shelby LaRaeUnfortunatly I can't put an invisible fence up at the ranch but we do have one at our house. Do you think it would be ok in the country for a weekend off leash?
You could look at a wireless fence system. They tend to work better, anyway, as they're harder to escape from, and portable.

We have a PetSafe Instant Fence and it works great.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: DaisysMomI wouldn't call them unethical. I don't have a fenced yard, and Daisy does just fine. Personally, I don't see a fence as a requirement so long as you are willing to do walks, dog park trips, etc.

I wouldn't let Daisy off the lead in an open area, but it all depends on the Beagle and the training.
Yeah but there is a difference between responsibly knowing your dog can't be let off lead, and containing it to the house, than the OP who said hopefully she won't roam to far. IMO it is not responsible to let a dog roam anywhere uncontained - no matter the breed.

You cannot risk having a beagle and thinking that you'll be lucky and get one with a low drive or less instinct to scent. Scenting and therefore the urge to roam is built into most beagles and you can never guarantee you can override that instinct.

I don't know any ethical breeder or rescue group who would let a beagle go to a home where the owner will allow it to roam - keeping it contained to the house and onlead in an open area is a bit different

ETA: A little story a woman I know quite well, who has been breeding beagles for more than thirty years, was telling me the other day. She sold a beagle to a well known and respected dog trainer who as the dog was maturing proudly told her that he had taught his beag 100% reliable recall in any situation. He let the dog off lead in unfenced/uncontained areas every day, and it always proved reliable when it came to recall. One day however when the dog was about 5 years old, the trainer had it off lead in a big area and the beagle picked up a strong scent - he ran straight over the field and onto incoming traffic, was hit by a car and died instantly.

This man was certain he had 100% reliable recall built into his dog. He had been a dog trainer for *years*. But the fact was that his beagle had an instinct that had been bred into him for centuries and on that one day he picked up a scent no training could override the dog's instinct.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Welcome to BW! It's smart to come here and get lots of advice before getting a beagle!!

I did want to add that invisible fencing isn't the most reliable for beagles, either. Once they figure out that it only hurts for a second a rabbit, squirrel, cat, etc. may be more than enough to lure them out!

While I agree that it is ENTIRELY up to that specific dog. In general, I don't think beagles SHOULD be trusted off leash! Again, that's not to say that there are not exceptions or extensive training, but if this issue could be a deal breaker, I would say to go for another breed!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts