Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've always loved Beagles and I'm at the point where I can finally get one so I've been looking into adoption. My girlfriend currently has a 5 year old Pomeranian who would have to basically give his ok to any new dog. Does anyone have any experience with Beagles and Poms together? Is there any chance that the Beagle may think the Pom is prey and try to hunt it? If anything happened to the Pom my girlfriend would die, and I just want to make sure it would be a good fit before I proceed with an adoption. The Pom is generally well mannered and laid back, keeps to itself. We used to watch a rat terrier and they would play a little bit, although the Pom made sure to assert it's dominance rather quickly. How do you think a young Beagle would take to him? The dog I'm looking at is actually a young (6 months) female Beagle/Basset mix.

Thanks.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I can't imagine a Beagle trying to hunt down another dog....

My guess is that, because Beagles are such high energy animals, you may have a problem with a young dog irritating an older dog...we see that when we take Quinn and Grayson to play with other, older dogs. However, I doubt it's anything that can't be fixed.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Ha. My grandma has a pom/shih tzu mix that has coexisted happily for 9 years with a beagle/basset hound. The only problem was that the pom mix was younger than the beagle/basset and would tug on his ears trying to get him to play.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally Posted By: EveHa. My grandma has a pom/shih tzu mix that has coexisted happily for 9 years with a beagle/basset hound. The only problem was that the pom mix was younger than the beagle/basset and would tug on his ears trying to get him to play.
Ha, that's adorable. That's how I would hope these dogs would get along although I think the Pom would be the one standing, that dog is a complete showoff whenever there are new people or cameras around.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally Posted By: Quinn&GraysonI can't imagine a Beagle trying to hunt down another dog....

My guess is that, because Beagles are such high energy animals, you may have a problem with a young dog irritating an older dog...we see that when we take Quinn and Grayson to play with other, older dogs. However, I doubt it's anything that can't be fixed.
I didn't think the beagle would hunt another dog but I read one person on yahoo say that their beagle seemed to mistake their pom for prey and kept going after it. That's the only one I've read though, and I never really trust Yahoo answers.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I volunteer with a beagle rescue and we place lots of beagles in homes with other dogs. Most do well with larger or smaller breeds. I think a lot depends on individual personalities. We always require that the dogs meet prior to an adoption. At least that way if there is an instant dislike you can see it and figure out if it is something that can be worked with.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Originally Posted By: blackngold4877
Quinn&Grayson said:
I didn't think the beagle would hunt another dog but I read one person on yahoo say that their beagle seemed to mistake their pom for prey and kept going after it. That's the only one I've read though, and I never really trust Yahoo answers.
Are they mistaking attempts to play for 'hunting'? My beags love to chase each other around the house. When Lilo is just veggin out, Java will often try to instigate buy pretending to lunge at her. I think it's quite innocent and they really enjoy roughhousing.

From what I've read and seen, Beagles are really sociable dogs and really enjoy being in the company of others (with a caveat being that each dog has its own personality).

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Well, I have Daisy my 28lb Beagle and Max my 9lb mini dachshund. I had Daisy first for almost a year and then I got Max. He has been alpha dog from day 1. They do play well together.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 5 year old female beagle, and a 1 year old Pomeranian. My beagle was less than impressed when I brought my little fur ball home. She wouldn't let him eat out of her dish, sleep in her bed, sniff her toys, or lay by me. She was VERY territorial. So, I got him his own stuff, and let him sleep by himself for a few weeks. He would cry and cry every night in his kennel. One morning, I woke up and my beagle was sleeping next to his kennel, with her nose up against the wires. After that, she was his new best friend. I think that Beagles are just bound and determined that they are the "alpha dog". Now, they are the best of friends and get along great. It will depend on each dog's personality. My beagle personally hates every dog she sees, until she comes to the conclusion that they are not a threat, she will growl, bark, and attack. But she's the most loving dog that I've ever owned. She just doesn't like other dogs by her house, her people, or her things. I think that you will be okay, just watch the poor little pom for the first few weeks. Let us know how it works out :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I read that you have to be careful with beagles and other types of animals, not breeds of dogs. but I think this is just a myth as my Gordie tries to play with my neighbours cats all the time. and at the pet store he shows no ill will to the bunnies and guinea pigs they have, he isnt even interested in them. wild bunnies though is a whole other story.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think you'll be fine, just give the dogs an initial meeting before you adopt a beagle? If you don't see any immediate dislike then I'm sure it'll be fine. Alfie's best friends with all different dogs, some that aren't even half his size! He's got collie friends, yorkie friends, an english bull dog friend.. And so many other breeds too! And he plays so gently with the little yorkie, and then rougher with the big dogs :) I think it'd be a good idea to get your beagle different toys/bed etc than the pom-pom x

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have a 5 year old female beagle, and a 1 year old Pomeranian. My beagle was less than impressed when I brought my little fur ball home. She wouldn't let him eat out of her dish, sleep in her bed, sniff her toys, or lay by me. She was VERY territorial. So, I got him his own stuff, and let him sleep by himself for a few weeks. He would cry and cry every night in his kennel. One morning, I woke up and my beagle was sleeping next to his kennel, with her nose up against the wires. After that, she was his new best friend. I think that Beagles are just bound and determined that they are the "alpha dog". Now, they are the best of friends and get along great. It will depend on each dog's personality. My beagle personally hates every dog she sees, until she comes to the conclusion that they are not a threat, she will growl, bark, and attack. But she's the most loving dog that I've ever owned. She just doesn't like other dogs by her house, her people, or her things. I think that you will be okay, just watch the poor little pom for the first few weeks. Let us know how it works out :)
beagles shouldnt be agressive with other dogs, they are pack dogs. you dog is territorial agressive, and you are her property in her opinion. She is resource guarding you. some one will get hurt one day if you dont fix that

1 - 12 of 12 Posts