Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're getting a Beagle pup in around 2 weeks (Can't wait) however we've done lots of research on how the puppy will be with our existing Rabbit.

The Rabbit is a house Rabbit, around 5 years old.

Now I know and understand that Beagles are hounds that are especially good at seeking out Rabbits, however what so you think to the notion that if the puppy is introduced to the Rabbit at an early age then things will be fine?

Any ideas as to how I should introduce them to be friends - or are we playing with fire??

Booboo is very dear to us (our Rabbit) and we would never keep them together unsupervised.

Regards

·
Registered
582 Posts
What did you find out in your research?
Early acclimation is the key if it can possibly work at all. (and that doesn’t mean it will)
It all depends on the animals. Will the rabbit stand up for itself against a wild and crazy puppy that will soon outweigh it?
Our cats get along fine with our beagles but, does a beagle without any hunting training still know the difference between a house cat and a house rabbit? Has the purpose for which the breed was developed become an instinct that they will automatically act on?
You hear amazing stories about cross-species friendships. (Usually along with cute photographs people send in emails.) You never know.
Going in, I would definitely Have a backup plan as to how you’re going to house them separately, and how your going to manage giving them each the time and attention they individually need, if you end up having to keep them separated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi - I am terrified.

Most people say that as long as the Rabbit sticks up for itself and that we get them socializing very early then they MAY grow up as buddies.

Boy I would love that...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Since it's a pup you're getting, if you socialize them from the beginning, and set the boundries for the beagle - they should be fine (never count on anything).
It is in their genes to go for the rabbits, but there are exceptions. If you see that it doesan't work, just keep them apart!

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Abby was brought home to a house with a guinea big and she has done very well. Most of the time she doesn't pay any attention to the pig. Just to be safe though when our GP is out of her cage Abby is crated.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
JoJo's breeder has "wabbits" here are some pictures of her "babies" with "wabbits".

Admittedly, these were TINY baby beagles - and a fully grown rabbit, but I suspect that if the pup is supervised well and raised with the bunny (and not left alone with it), they will at least tolerate each other.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
One member here (don't remember who) had a hunting falcon when they brought their pup home, and they made friends.

I also remember somebody who raises chickens and was worried about how their dog would do.....(was that Karebru?).....sorry I don't remember how that all turned out.

I think with work and discipline, a dog will learn that your house rabbit is 'off limits' for hunting. Good Luck....can't wait to hear how it all turns out.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quote: I also remember somebody who raises chickens and was worried about how their dog would do.....(was that Karebru?).....sorry I don't remember how that all turned out.
Yes. That was me.
Sadie was full grown when I brought the chicks home. When they were big enough to be put outside, I took her in the coop to let her check things out. The chicks all bunched up in one corner, terrified. Sadie walked over, gave them a good sniff, and licked them all till they were slimy. :rolleyes:

Raj,
All I can say is, please make sure you know ahead of time, what you're going to do if they don't get along. :thumbup:

Here's Sparky "helping" me collect eggs...

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've always had birds and dogs together, and discipline and boundaries are key from day 1. Never unsupervised, either. All my dogs and birds have gotten along well and ignored each other, but I don't usually keep them together too often. I do 'separate but equal' time with me. My bird's cage is really big and in my room, so he chills there and Henry leaves him alone. Henry's got a crate and his own 'room', so I'll often put him up to let Dixie (cockatiel) roam the house. They both know about each other and know I don't favor one over the other. Dixie also grew up around my older dogs that he would alternately preen/boss around! He's almost 4 now. He called for my dogs for days after they passed away (Buddy in June 2006 and Daisy in July 2007). He seemed just as heartbroken as I was.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I suspect a happy adkusted house rabbit will train the puppy well and they will be friends for life. My Bagel doesn't chase anything that doesn't act like prey. If a stray cat bolts, he chases but the feral cats that adopted us didn't bolt and the Bagel soon learned to ignore them. I think the while chase is in their genes there desire to make friends is also in their genes and any animal who wants to be friends will be excepted as a friend.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
I sure don't know. But I hope you will keep us posted on what you find out. Remember the Disney movie "The Fox and the Hound"? A baby fox and a baby hound become friends.

Good luck!!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Well good luck! I still have nightmares at memories of our first beagle coming home with a rabbit she had killed. We dont know whether it had been a wild or tame rabbit, but it ended up as a beagles dinner!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Good luck too! I don't know if I could stand the thoughts of maybe one day walking into the house with a dead rabbit.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I remember someone from the old DogJunction site who had field beagles and house rabbits. The beagle lived in the house as well. They got along fine, but these beagles were exceptionally well-trained. I'd guess that any rabbit living in your house, often handled by you, and socialized with the puppy from a young age, should be fine.

I agree though, never leave them together unsupervised, and have a plan B.

Sylvia

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
I remember that one, but it was most likely an
adult beag that knew/accepted them as an
established part of the family! Like Duke had to do with Spot the cat! Snapper was the first to
deal with her, & did "well by beagle standards"
but there was "no love lost between them" when it
was a competition for our attention! :evilgrin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts