Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a lot of similarities between beagles and toddlers, and I'm wondering what other BeagleWorlders who both beagles and kids think.

When comparing beagles and kids,

Beagles are smarter, until the child is about 3. After that, the beagles are still ahead because of experience, until the child is around 4 or 5.

Children have opposable thumbs. The beagles realize that is an advantage.

If necessary, you can leave a beagle in a crate for a while. Child Protective Services frowns on this practice. (Honest, she went in herself! With her blankie and doll! She was napping!)

Children grow big enough to clean up their messes.

Beagles do not need college educations.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
667 Posts
hehe...dont have any kids YET, but I have often wondered how different it will be when we do!!

manda

·
Registered
865 Posts
I do, I do - I have both! Two beagles (1 & 8) and an almost 2 y.o. son! Here are some of my thoughts and things I have noticed...

-I wish Lucky enjoyed his crate as much as my son enjoys Lucky's crate! (my son could play in there for hours if I let him - he loves getting in the crates.)

-My son can drink face first out of a water bowl as well as the beagles.

-The beagles steal food from my son every chance they get. My son gets even by flopping on them while they are napping (yes, we are trying to stop this! Luckily, the dogs are really good sports where the toddler is concerned - just as long as he keeps forking over the cheerios.)

-My son likes using his little potty, Lucky likes licking and chewing the little potty.

-I wish my son liked his toys as much as the dogs do.

-Both of them have the same attitude at dinner time - Quit messin' around mom and hand over the food.

-Both are at their cutest when they are sleeping.

-Both think a roll of toilet paper is all you need to have a good time.

hmmmm...that's all I can think of at the moment. I am sure I will think of more!

·
Registered
400 Posts
LOL. What a hilarious point. Buffy, your comparisons made me crack up.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
In my opinion, it's a lot harder to get mad at a Beagle who's messed up, because they have the perfect 'guilt' face. With the toddlers I've met who get in trouble, they leer at you. My nephew does!

LOL Menolly has been stealing my nephew's food too, only he thinks it's a game now and has been FEEDING the dog! My dad still calls it 'stealing' and puts the dog outside, but Joseph makes absolutely no effort to gaurd his food- he thinks it's a game. he has gotten menolly in trouble quite a few times.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Well, as a first grade teacher, I have noticed that beagles are a lot like first graders. I have to be careful because I often carry treats in my pocket for Maggie, I also carry plastic nickels in my pocket as rewards for kids. They earn nickels, trade them for quarters and when they have a dollar buy something at my store. I am sure that someday, I will give Maggie a plastic nickel, or give the kids a dog treat by mistake. I also find myself saying sit in a firm voice and holding up my hand and saying stop when kids run in the hall. I told my principal that training first graders and training beagles is about the same thing.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Originally Posted By: KelliShaverLOL I happen to own one beagle and one first grader, and I agree!

Also, neither runs out of energy, always running and jumping around the house, until bedtime hits and then they collapse into a heap and are asleep in about 2 seconds.
Yep, I also have a first grader and he and Daisy are full of boundless energy.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm so glad I'm not alone!

My first grader runs circles around the beagles. Of course, they are seniors now. I wish my kids would fall asleep as easily as the beagles...

One more similarity: They all want to sleep touching mama!

And the come command works about as well on either.

SWB, to get the equivalent of the beagle innocent face on a toddler, speak in a different language. My husband speaks only German to the kids, and gets that innocent, whatever are you talking about? face.

The beagles are bilingual now....

Sylvia

1 - 11 of 11 Posts