Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I got a 1 year old beagle not too long ago. So now I have two.
My question is that the new one, Squeeker, is always wanting to play. She hangs off of Snoopy from the time I get home untill it's time for bed.
I have noticed that Snoopy doesn't always want to play, but he still lets her chew on his ear and so forth. He doesn't get mad, but I can tell that sometimes he just wants to hang out and relax.
Should I be putting a stop to the excessive playing after a while?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I'm trying to assess the same thing with Buzz - I think I agree with Chloe's Mommy that you should probably leave them alone and let Snoopy set the boundaries himself... although with our pack Booker and Popcorn have no qualms about telling Buzz to buzz off when he starts to annoy them, but I do worry that Moosie doesn't have the same strong personality to tell Buzz when enough is enough. But maybe it just means he doesn't mind Buzz gnawing on his rear leg...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Does Snoopy have a crate or some way to escape?

If Snoopy really wanted the hanging and ear chewing to stop, he would stop it himself. Maybe he finds it relaxing. Let them develop their own relationship, as long as there's no danger involved.

Two beagles are much better than one, in my opinion....
Enjoy them.

Sylvia

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Summer and Kali play often. And occasionally it gets out of hand and Summer puts a stop to it. If so, it usually ends with Summer growling. Thats usually enough to let Kali know its over. If Kali doesn't take the hint, Summer will get nasty and bloodshed has resulted (nothing serious). So we keep an eye on them when we are with them. I constantly tell them to play nice, because they know not to get me mad, because I WILL get involved.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He does have his own crate, but he doesn't like going in it, so I know he won't use it as a safe spot. His safe spot is the rest of the house, ha ha.
He doesn't get made at all, it's just that he is a complete lap dog as well. He has his way of asking for affection (it's a paw on my hand)
I was just wondering because he will come up to me asking for some affection and Squeeker will still be hanging off of him.
It's really cute to see them together, but I was wondering of I should restrict playtime for maybe just half and hour to an hour so I can have some time giving Snoopy some one on one affection he is craving for.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Gosh, I'd consider yourself lucky to have a Beagle that can be entertained by your other one. Bodie's an only child and relies on us for entertainment, play and companionship. Although we enjoy showering him with love, it is taxing on us at times too.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Snoopy has always been such an extremely patient dog. If I am ever really busy to the point where I cannot give them attention, he never forces it upon me. He will simply go off and snuggle close to Jabroni (my basset hound terrier cross)
I am not at all worried about a fight breaking out, I was just wondering if I should let it be, and let him deal with it.

But then I was thinking maybe if I enforce a half hour to hour of break time from playing, it may instil a little bit more discipline with Squeeker. She is still quite young.
(Just so she learns to listen in all types of situations)

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
We have the same exact situation with Duke and Violet. Vi is constant, non-stop play and Duke does get tired of it. I think he's afraid to give her too much back because Cassie has gone after Violet a few times (female dominance issues and grouchiness...though Cassie doesn't do anything but scare Vi) and Cassie got in trouble so Duke thinks he will get in trouble if he goes after Violet.

He does discipline her at times and lets her know he's had enough and a few times there's been a tussle, though nothing serious and no blood or injuries at all. More than anything, Duke tries to get away from her, so he'll jump on the spa if they're outside, since she can't. Last week, I noticed he was spending evenings on our bed. Don't know if it was because of the sudden cold or to get away from Vi. That's when I did step in, close the bedroom door and make Violet behave if Duke doesn't want to play. It seems to be working well, to the point where now Duke has gone to her for play a few times, which he never had a chance to do before.

·
Registered
889 Posts
We have a similar problem with Daisy and Rocky. Daisy is ALL play and Rocky gets irritated sometimes. There's really never been a fight but he'll definitely let her know when he's had enough. There have been a few times where I've put Daisy outside or inside away from Rocky (only has to be for a few mins) if she just won't quit messing with him, but most of the time they're fine. They've been like that since we got them from the humane society together. I would say Snoopy will probably let Squeeker know if he's had enough. It sounds like Squeeker needs some of her excess energy run off. Maybe an extra walk for her would help release some of it and give Snoopy a break.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts