Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been noticing some increasingly strange behavior between Myra and her little brother. We have a spot that the dogs like to 'go', so once or twice a day we head out and spend a few minutes down there to take care of business. The spot is within sight of the house. The dogs are fine on the way and when we are there, but when we are on the way back Myra gets really aggressive toward her little brother, growling and pinning him basically the whole way back to the house. Some nights she won't let off enough for us to walk, unless I get her on such a short leash that she can't get at him. She is fine with him the rest of the time, they sleep in the same bed and cage on a regular basis, and they are not aggressive about each other's food or water.

Have any of you seen this sort of behavior in your kids? I can only think it's some sort of barn sour reaction to heading toward the house, but when we are close to the house she has no problem at all and they both walk calmly up to the door and go inside. Her aggression never carries over inside the house, it's like she is a different dog just when we are on our way across the field back to the house.

Should I not be encouraging them to 'run home'? The little one is really good about running to the door on his own when he's done with his business outside, even if we are a little distance away. Myra is pretty good but more likely to get distracted if she sees something to chase. I figured it was a good thing, to get them used to coming home if they are ever outside alone (god forbid). Is there an underlying doggie-psychology at work that makes Myra protective of her way home?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Maybe she is upset when she is not the first one getting to the door. She was there first, so she is trying to maintain her "lead" role. If that is the case, maybe you should keep the little one on leash as you head back and let her stay off leash.... just a thought.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I think Eleanor has it figured. I suspect Myra is the lead dog and the pup, in sprinting to the door isn't showing proper respect for Myra (At least in Myra's mind) so she is setting him straight. The key is your supposed to "follow the leader" and the pup, in winning or even competing in the race back to the den is showing “neglect of Myra.” It will all resolve itself in time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts