Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all......My beag just turned 1 last week. I am relatively new to dog ownership and have a general question. I have had Buddy since he was 9 weeks old and he is just a great dog. I struggle with maintenance, especially clipping his nails and brushing his teeth. This maintenance starts out innocently enough then turns into a wrestling match especially with nail clipping. Do you all brush your beags teeth regularly and if so, how do you make this important process less stressful for pup and dad? I doubt there is hope for me with making nail time, less stressful...Any advice would be appreciated....

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Welcome :wave:
Charlie is spoiled, I take him to the groomer, because I can not handle him myself!!
For $8 they do just the nails, I had him groomed for $20 some dollars, including nails, brushing teeth, anal express, ears clean and a nice bath. But I do not do it often enough. Lately I've been giving him raw chicken wings, cleans his gum and teeth.
Charlie is digger, so he does not need to have his nails clipped often, he claws them out digging in the yard.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
If you're determined to change the stress level for you and your dog, then nail clipping and tooth brushing can be 'taught' like any other command...with patience, praise and consistent practice.
I had to attend obedience classes (had never trained a dog before; didn't know how)and learned how to be the 'alpha'.

However...... :biglaugh: paying the vet or groomer bill every so often, and reducing your stress level is a great alternative! It's quick,easy and stressless for you. There is nothing wrong with that!! :thumbup:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to the BW pack!

Nail clipping can be tough. My two will let me do it when necessary, but usually I let the groomer handle it while taking care of the rest. FYI: They go to the groomer every 2-3 months. You coud always have your vet do it when you at there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for the advice....The groomer option seems to be an easy alternative. I guess I viewed the groomer as trainer/owner failure on my part....The best option is the one that works.....Thanks again....This site has been invaluable to me as a novice beag owner...

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
I cut Spencer & Sydney's nails about every 2 weeks, they just let me do it. I sit over the bath tub with them on my knee and do them. It has never been a problem with my two.

For their teeth, I use a dog tooth brush with dog tooth paste and they actually likeit. I brush as much as I can get and hope that by having the enzyme paste in their mouth that it will do the trick.

For ears, I use baby wipes. Just fold them and wrap it around a finger. Takes a couple seconds and it's all over. I do their ears every 2-3 days. With Spencer's food allergies, I need to monitor how clean his ears are because if he reacts to something, he gets ear infections.

·
Registered
35 Posts
In our clinic, we trim nails a lot. I have found that doing the back feet first makes it easier, and a lot of times we get comments that the dog is so good for us but a terror to clip at home. Could be a stranger is better for somethings for some dogs!

Another thing, Pfizer has introduced a new canine dental vaccine, aimed at reducing periodonta disease (Porphyromonas Denticanis-Gulae-Salivosa Bacterin). We are using it on a limited basis, mainly smaller dogs, who we tend to see with more dental problems. We have had several toy dogs have a reaction to it, however, so we are not diving in hard, and the jury is still out on its long term efficacy. If it does what it says, however, it would be another way to help dogs keep thier teeth and avoid systemic illness that comes from periodontal desease.
Go to the pfizer website for more info, or ask your veterinarian.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
We find that, with the exception of the dewclaws, our three beagles' nails are kept pretty short just through the fact that they do a lot of walking on ashphalt and concrete - I guess that is the positive side of living downtown where we don't always have nice paths and grass for them to walk on! For the dewclaws we do cut them ourselves sometimes, but more often just acknowledge our failure as dog owners and get the vet or groomer to do it (same with the anal glands).

For the teeth, we try to make sure they have enough things to chew to keep their teeth relatively clean and for the most part the vet says they are fine as a result without having to do anything more in the way of regular cleaning (again, being the bad dog owners we are...). Our oldest, Booker, does sometimes get some plaque build-up, but she seems to have to go in for surgery every couple of years for something or other and therefore we get them cleaned at the vet if they need it and she is going under anyway.

Our biggest problem is the ears - Booker is okay with our cleaning hers but Moosie seems to sense when we are coming with the cotton balls and will take evasive action... and Popcorn seems to be learning from Moose to be terrified of the process. Any suggestions on how to make ear cleaning less of a hassle?

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
How is it that those of you who do your own nail clipping (the dog's that is) so it without cutting the quicks and exsanguinating them?

I vividly remember my husband trying to clip my little beagle mix, Jake's, nails and I came home from work with Jake bleeding from a couple of his nails and Jeff trying to stop the bleeding with candle wax.

How do you safely clip black toe nails when the quick is not visible?

·
Registered
540 Posts
We have our girls ears and nails done about every ten days or so while they are at doggie day care. We also get them a kennel bath with nails and ears once a month. Cecil will let me clear her ears as she loves the feeling afterward. Brandy will give me a little problem at first, but will give in. I try to clean ears once a week. We tried the nails, but too stressful on all parties. Nails and ears are free at the vets and at day care, just ask. Baths are $15 when combined with day care. They are a little more if only bath (which includes ears, nails and anals). The girls love how they feel and smell after their bath and are so very shiney. They absolutely do not roll in anything to rid the smell. They will roll in their straw as usual, but smell good. Acutally, our girls never smell doggie, thank goodness. I highly recommend the less stress method.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Gingergoose:
How do you safely clip black toe nails when the quick is not visible?
I place calvin on a table (all his nails are black) where I can see them better; he behaves better on the table; I lay him on his side and "shave" his nails. When you start to see a black center in the nail, you don't go much farther in the trimming process. It reminds me of a bullseye in the middle of a dartboard. I use my clippers just a little at a time.
There is a product called styptic powder which you can apply to the end of a nail if it does bleed. You can buy it at the pet store to keep close at hand 'just in case'.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The first time we took Vinny to the Vet for nail trimming, we got a very polite note that read "next nail trim, we recommend sedating Vinny". :rotflmao:

We got such a chuckle out of that, you can't imagine. And he was only 6 months old. He is much better now though.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I welcome you and Buddy to beagle world!! I have 2 beagles and I brush their teeth about once a week. I started from the first week. Only for a few seconds at first with lots of praise, then longer and with treats after. I can not clip the nails, I have to take them in to the groomer. Hunter howls as if I am killing her, and that is only when she sees the clippers, and Casey fights and won't settle down. I find that I don't have to have them done too often.
They behave much better for the groomer.
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Dear "BD"... puppies & young adult dogs hate having their nails clipped, but "do learn to tolerate the experience"! Seek your vets advice if this is your first one...but in time you will learn how to trim their nails & (distract them) from that experience! Most dogs "act as if you are skinning them alive" the first time! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif But as they learn to trust you, you can easily start by just trimming the "lethal tip's" of their nails by "bribing them" with a "tasty treat" to distract them! :thumbup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts