Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we all know beagles origin is to hunt. What you people think of that? I know many who are p***** off /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif hearing that "hunting breeds" are used for something else. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
I don't have an opinion on the matter but wanted to say that this is a family friendly site so please watch your language.

I'm also going to add, that all of us are very passionate about our beagles and the beagle breed overall. That being said, If you have a thought, opinion or feeling on the matter please discuss it in a calm & respectful manner.

Thank-you for you help in keeping BW running smoothly and being a pleasant place to post :thumbup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, if someone is hurt of the language. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif
As a Finn it's not obvious for us which are the really bad words. That p... we can here all the time from our TV and foreign series.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Hunting isn't as common as it once was, it's no longer a necessity of life. Most people go to the local grocery store or deli for meat. I don't think the hunting breeds are in demand for hunting the way the used to be. I know there are still hunters and beagles used for hunting and I have no problem with that, as long as the dogs are well taken care of. But beagles make wonderful loving pets. As long the dog, whatever that breed may be, is safe and loved and healthy, then I'm okay with wildlife hunters, or the mighty tennis ball hunters.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Lucy and Flora are mostly snack hunters. They have counter surfing down to a fine art. Flora has been known to hunt mice :thumbup: and helped catch and dispatch some young squirrels infesting our garage.

I have no problem with either hunting beagles or house beagles, as long as both groups are presented with enough exercise, stimulation, and time with their humans. I would hate to see such a loving breed disappear just because hunting is no longer a necessity.

Without beagles, who would warm my bed before I climb in for the night? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sylvia

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
:angryfire: is when hunters mistreat their dogs, whether they're beagles, pointers, retreivers, whatever. As long as people treat these wonderful babes with the lovingkindness and respect they deserve, that's what's most important.

·
Registered
308 Posts
My Wonder Twins are hunters. They hunt squirrels and birds and mice and rats. So far only had to deal with dead fledglings in the spring. While I would love to have some of the hunter out of them at times (like this week when they smelled something as they were being brought inside and bolted), I adore hearing them tongue every morning.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
I could never hunt, but have no problem with others who do, as long as they are not cruel and make a clean kill. I have been upset on many occasions when seeing beagles or other hounds, locked in kennels and only taken out by their owners when its time for the Sunday hunt. This is a common occurance in France. Our two were mistreated for the first 5 years of their lives, in research labs, so I think they have every right to a cushy life now. I am not ashamed of treating them like members of our family. They still show a few natural traits like killing mice. What is your opinion on the subject?

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Tammy:
My Wonder Twins smelled something as they were being brought inside and bolted.
"Wonder Twin Power--Activate!"

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The Bagel lives to hunt but his hunting partner (me) sure hinders is fun. I won't let him dig up just any hole he sniffs as I fear he might dig up an venomous snake. I won’t let him off lead as I don’t want him to be coyote supper, or a morsel for a cougar. I won’t let him play with badger, I pulled him away from the Gila Monster he cornered and prevent him from disturbing the coiled rattlesnakes he has discovered. I’m just not a good hunting partner pack member.

My Bagel is a great companion and proper pet. I suspect the person or person(s) that abandoned him at the pound (tied him to a tree outside the pounds so I never knew his first name) didn’t acquire him as a hunter. I just wish I had a place for a real pack (safety in numbers) so I could just release the hounds in the desert and let them hunt. The Bagel and I spend lots of time tens of miles from the nearest other vehicle or human so I won’t fret on the non-natural dangerous if I could reduce the real natural dangers of the desert!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Snoopy hunted down one of our chickens when he was a pup /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif , but that's the most hunting he's done. He doesn't seem fussed by our rabbits, he's more of a "birdwatcher". Other than that he hunts flowerpots, washing on the line, my seedlings... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
My hubby hunts and next year I would love to take the dogs out on an on-leash chase, they would have a blast for sure in the bush all day, they just love to follow scents. I have nothing against a hunting dog as long as they are treated properly and not discarded after the hunt (which unfortunately happens too often around here).

·
Registered
308 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Genie:
Quote:Originally posted by Tammy:
My Wonder Twins smelled something as they were being brought inside and bolted.
"Wonder Twin Power--Activate!"
They weren't feeling so wonderful after we drove around for an hour and finally found them---inside a neighbor's privacy fence. Lillie got her feelings hurt badly while Chloe was like, Dude I just HAD to check it out! Hubby was none too happy but atleast they are home and safe!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm from Finland. So it's in Scandinavia. And I'm very eager to hunt with dogs. My breed is Drever. Quite similar to Beagl in looks and use.
They are also very nice dogs at home and almost all the population is used to hunt hares, foxes and deers. First ones has been exported to Canada and US during last years. They are just maybe something 10 dogs there now alltogether.

And you have there lots of rabbits beagls to hunt? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Does anyone know also some other good beaglsites?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by A doghouse:
I could never hunt, but have no problem with others who do, as long as they are not cruel and make a clean kill. I have been upset on many occasions when seeing beagles or other hounds, locked in kennels and only taken out by their owners when its time for the Sunday hunt. This is a common occurance in France.
Most hunters here take their hounds out a few times weekly, others are just weekend hunters. I'm included in the latter category. I live in the city, so don't have the opportunity to run them more than 2-3x a week.
Keep in mind though, that even if only taken out once a week, a good hunt normally lasts several hours. Hunting dogs, even the ones taken out once a week, get more exercize and mental stimulation in a few days than most house pets do in a month. I have plenty of my pups in pet homes, but these people are screened thoroughly and I match the pup's temperament to the family. It normally turns out that the pet families do not get the most active pup in the litter, because I know most average families cannot deal with the activity level of this breed. That's something to consider, especially with the high rate of Beagles in shelters. They are being dumped for behavioral issues, and that stems from the breed's inability to be kept in inactive family situations.
I'm of the opinion that hunting s not cruel, it's a part of life. I know MANY hunters who use their rabbit hounds as their "meat pack". I see nothing wrong with wanting fresh killed meat in lieu of grocery store meat which can be processed, old, or which was raised with questionable methods. My family used to own a farm many decades ago, and killed their own animals. Their chickens got to live a normal life, eat real food (not the processed garbage being fed commercially raised chickens), smell fresh air and bathe in the sun until the day they died. Same with the rabbits my family raised ... Same with the hare I hunt with my Beagles. They live a normal life before they are shot or dispatched by the hounds. I can't see how people would say that its acceptable to buy commercially raised meat from a gorcery store, therefore we shouldn't hunt anymore, when the grocery store meat lived a miserable life before it was killed. Either way, that's life. Animals die to feed other animals and people. It's cruel, it's not a Disney movie, it's a fact of life ...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts