Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lol so, took Cassidy to my grandmother's house today. And I was like, what the heck, let's see what I can do to traumatize my dog (not really)so....I jumped in the pool...with Cassidy in my arms...lol I should have taken a picture. Did you know beagles sink except their ears and nose? lol has anyone had their beagle in water and can they swim? Do they enjoy it?

·
Registered
350 Posts

ohhh, dont do that!!!

LOL!

we took bonnie and clyde on a boat trip at 4 mo.
had little life jackets for em. they looked like turtles!! it was soooo cute, but when we dipped em. ohhhh nooooo.
it was bad.
then bonnie fell in.
now at 13 mo, they will wade in, no prob, but i havent seen them swim yet.
champ avoids the water like he knows there are crocodiles.
i wish you had a pic too.
C.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Hehe. Mine have never been near large bodies of water, though there is a defunct hot tub in our back yard (heater is broken) that we plan to tear out and replace with a koi pond. Who knows whether the dogs will learn how to fish once that happens...

Spock loves showers and has come around to liking baths.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Awww, poor little Cassidy! Jersey went swimming once. She paddled as fast as her little legs could get her back to the shore. Now, she'll go in a little, but as soon as those bad waves (and we live on the Gulf Coast, I use the term wave very loosely here) come close, she's out of there. LOL!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie hates water. She won't go in a wading pool,even when her visiting doggie friends do, and if we are at the beach and the tide is coming in she runs the other way as fast as she can drag me.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I wish we had a picture of Cassidy in the pool!

We sometimes go for walks out on the tidal flats when the tide is out, and as we are coming back the tide is often coming back in faster than we are so that we will encounter areas where the water is up to our knees or higher. The hounds are so funny - they will stoically continue to walk through the water as long as their paws can continue to touch the bottom (the most humorous is when you can see Booker actually sucking in her stomach to avoid it going into the water) and then they just continue dogpaddling automatically as soon as they can't reach the bottom anymore. Booker is actually quite a good swimmer (she floats well...), although she clearly isn't happy about it, and just plugs along in a forward direction as long as she has to until her feet touch the ground again. Moose gets a little freaked out if there is too far to go, and sometimes starts to sink or lose his direction and start to swim in circles - so we make sure one of us is walking close to him so he doesn't get worried. Popcorn is a pretty good swimmer as well (again, she floats well...), but is clearly somewhat freaked out by the experience (as she is with most experiences) and therefore again we try to keep close to her in case she needs some help. Buzzy hasn't been out to the tidal flats yet - can't wait to see how he is in the water!

·
Registered
847 Posts
We've been dealing with this too.

When we fist got Bodie last year it was the end of August. He was 8 weeks old at the time. Since it was still hot we put him in the water with us and let him swim about. These excursions were for maybe a minute and then we let him out and he ran around. Shortly thereafter, he fell into the pool one morning. Fortunately we caught him quick enough and scooped him out. But since then he hasn't wanted to get in the pool. He'll go right up to the edge and look at it. But doesn't want to go in.

A couple of weeks ago we got a life vest and took him in with me. We spent maybe 2 minutes and again he didn't seem to be enjoying the experience. We haven't pressed it since but I'd like to devise a plan to better expose him to water and hopefully get him more comfortable with coming in.

During the summers we spent at least one day a weekend in the pool. We'd really like for Bodie to be able to come in a swim around with us. We know he'd really like it once he gets comfortable with the water. But I don't want to be causing more psychological damage by exposing him to it wrong.

So if you've taught your dog how to swim and enjoy the water please share your experiences. I'd love to learn for you what worked and what didn't.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Duke and Violet don't seem to be fans of water. They have been to lakes/rivers and they prefer to stay far on the bank and have no interest in going near the water. But we do have a few irrigation ditches in our walks around the CSUF ag fields and they do want to go sniff around them and seem much more interested, but I steer them far away.

Beagles are much different than our prior experience with the labs. Our old house had a pool and the labs would chew through the wood slat gate to get get to it. We finally learned to leave the gate open so we could stop replacing slats and they took full advantage.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
As for how to go about teaching a beagle to swim, the only time we've been able to get our guys to swim is when they have no choice - but not by throwing them into the water (although Popcorn fell in once when we first got her - I think she thought it was just a clear surface and was a little shocked when she discovered it wasn't!).

As I mentioned in my previous post, we take them to tidal flats where the tide is (slowly) coming in, and then they basically just are walking through the water until it gets so high that they can't touch the bottom anymore. At that point instinct appears to take over and their footstep motions just become dogpaddling... and as long as we are there beside them (for Popcorn and Moose at least) so they don't get disoriented, they just basically start paddling along in replacement for the walking they were doing when they could touch the bottom. And the water isn't deep enough that anything too traumatic will happen, if they really start to freak out and stop dog paddling (and really only Moosie has ever done this - and only one time) - we just grab them and pull them over to a spot where the water isn't as deep and they can touch the bottom again.

Not sure what the option would be for those not in a tidal area... although I do remember one time I had to go answer the phone in the middle of bathing Booker and left the water running - when I got back it had gotten high enough that she was just starting to have to dog paddle!

·
Registered
14 Posts
be careful... and always use a dog life vest. Also be sure to be extra vigilant with the Beagles ears.. getting them into the water can result in chronic painful ear infections if it gets out of hand.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Teddy loves water, especially showers he closes his eyes and sticks his head up to the spray i'll def. catch a picture next time it looks hilarious. He'll also jump into the pool no hesitation we keep an eye on him as he def. doesnt' swim as well as our retriever did but for the most part he's ok. Once it ACTUALLY gets warm (as in above 80 degrees for more then two days) we'll probably purchase him a little kiddie pool to lay in.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Ours love our lake but only go in as far as the leash will allow. I wouldnt let them swim in a swimming pool because of the chemicals people put in. A kiddies paddling pool in the garden sounds like fun.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Snoopy had never really been in the water but she was always curious. One afternoon we took her to a local state park and when she saw the geese swimming...you guessed it...she went right into the lake and was in hot pursuit. I had her on a 16' lead and had to reel her in but she seemed to love it. Now if I could only get her to love bath time!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Sadie grew up on boats, and she loves it. She fell in once, and never again! We were stopped, and kind of let it happen so she would learn from it. (We are VERY careful with our pups in the boat.)
She can swim, but would rather not. She'll wade in up to her knees, but that's about it. If it's really hot, we'll take her in the water and hold her. She puts up with it, but I think she would rather cool off with an ice cube rub down. Sparky was pretty much the same way. He was a good swimmer, but didn't really like it.
We've had Bebe out once so far. She was terrified of everything.
The sounds, the movement, even the tiny waves, when we went to the beach for a potty break. All totally new experiences for a 4 1/2 year old girl.
She wasn't so scared that she turned down treats,though,
and she seemed to enjoy the fresh air while we were anchored. We're just going to have to take it slow with her.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Colby loves the water. He'll run right in. He would rather not have to actually swim but will if he sees a bird or if you throw a stick in the water. I have a pool but it isn't opened yet and I only got him in December so I'm not sure how he'll like the deep pool.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Maggie loved to swim! It was hard to keep her away from ponds/lakes but, with our alligator population, we have to be very, very careful. I never took her into a pool but I bet she would have loved that as well.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
before Murphy got hurt, he loved the water... until a ocean wave knocked him on his keaster. After that her was leary. Then he got paralyzed.

Part of the recovery was swimming. Back then they didn't have underwater treadmills and pools for dogs. Murphy swam in a Horse Training pool. His first time out, he was in a life jacket. He lasted 5 minutes. But over 6 months, he shed the life jacket and was able to swim for 30 minutes continuously. Try that being partially paralyzed. After that crossing deep water was not an issue for him.

Summer loves the water...period. Kali can live without it.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Awww, you may have scared your baby doing that.

We have a swimming pool in the back yard. We have had it for 3 years. Pooh Bear fell in once and sank, swam to the edge with my husband coaxing him. We had just had it installed and we let them out into the back yard, he didn't know it was there and went running right into it. We had kept them out of the back yard during the construction of the pool. Sadie won't get in. Pooh Bear certainly won't get in after his scare. Ours don't like the pool one bit. We have tried to pick them up carefully and gently walk into the pool holding them, but they freak out. so we don't push the matter. It is fine that they don't like the pool.

·
Registered
205 Posts
JoJo is very weary of water. She's never been swimming with us, but if her bath time is any indication, she'd be very, very stiff and won't move...thus sinking.
I'm quite sure she'd be very afraid if we tried to get her to go near the water.

Growing up, we had a lab/bloodhound mix that was a great swimmer. He LOVED the water.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Originally Posted By: judymaggieMaggie loved to swim! It was hard to keep her away from ponds/lakes <span style="font-weight: bold">but, with our alligator population, we have to be very, very careful</span>. I never took her into a pool but I bet she would have loved that as well.
Okay, alligators are definitely not something I've ever had to give consideration to here!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts