Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you take your beagle out on the boat? If so, does he/she wear a life vest? Toby is going out on the boat for the first time today. We mostly cruise around since we have a 17 month old son (no going real fast!!!). We may stop at an island and let them run around a bit.

I stopped by Petsmart to look at the doggie life vests and was completely unimpressed. The one for Toby's size was bulky and looked really uncomfortable. He was on the smaller end of the Medium, but was too big for a small. I didn't buy it because I really think he would have been miserable in it.

I would love to hear about and/or see what you use, how you like it, and where you purchased it! I definitely don't want to leave Toby at home, but I do want him to be safe and comfortable!! Thanks!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I think each dog reacts differently near or around water.

For instance, we can't keep the lab in the boat. She thinks the crab traps in the water are balls and she jumps off the boat to get them. She has to be watched very carefully and on a leash when on the boat.

Molly on the other hand, wants to be by you when she is in the boat. You have to lift her off the boat onto the beach.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We take our two dogs out one the boats constantly. Our beagle even gets to go sailing with us. We have two lifejackets for each dog(one on the dog, and an extra one by the pool). If you have a local boating store they will a lifejacket that is less bulky, and more functional. I have one of these
http://www.altrec.com/ruff-wear/k-9-float-coat-dog-life-jacket
One of these:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...A&cm_ite=netcon

And finally two of these:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...A&cm_ite=netcon

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great!! Those look much better than the ones in Petsmart. We are going to take him today without a jacket for a short trip. I don't think he will try to jump out or anything. It's just that with a small child on the boat, my attention has to be on him constantly and I don't want something to inadvertently happen to Toby.

OOOOOhhhh...and we will be visiting a city with a Cabelas next week. My husband will be so happy when I say, "Honey, can we go to Cabelas?" LOL!!!

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
When we took Spencer on the pontoon (sp?) boat the first time, he didn't have one but I will probably get them one for this summer when we go to the cottage. I would just rather be safe than sorry, they have not had much practice with swimming.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
We still have Snappers old life-vest, it is the 1980's style foam
moulded-over by white vinyl. "Super soft" was the brand name.
Snapper was a surprizingly bad swimmer, so this item was perfect
for him! But he loved to go fishing as he loved to steal our
anchovies when we werent looking! (Our elder members know the full tale about Snapper & his anchovie stealing antics)! But
thankfully, every beag after him has been a great swimmer & did
not need to wear the vest after they grew to adult size!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts