Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4th of July is comming up and I was wondering if anyone has any tips for keeping your dogs calm when fireworks are going off. In Southwest Wshington, almost anything goes in the fireworks department. Firecrackers, roman candles, morters, are sold everywhere. The street a few houses down actually shuts down the street to hold their own fireworks display.
Our first year at this house we thought it was great. Just sit in your own backyard and see a show that was almost as good as a professional display. Now with dogs, it is a nightmare. Last year we tried going to the coast, which worked real well, but that won't be possible this year. Shooting fireworks is also legal here for about 5 days so just going away for a few hours isn't a complete fix.

Any advice???

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The last ten+ years the Bagel and I have ventured out to watch fireworks about three times a year - the New Years Eve Fireworks on the Las Vegas Strip are less than a mile from our house and until last 4th of July nothing phased the Bagel. We joined several dozen of our friends for a picnic and personal fireworks display in the middle of a dry lake. The Firecrackers, aerial bombs never cause a problem until one twirling zinger thingy went astray and chased the Bagel around my feet as it bounced off the car I was sitting next to. The dang thing was bound and determioned to get the Bagel. He took a dim veiw and insisted watching the rest of the night from a <span style="font-weight: bold">position on my lap</span> which made eating a hot dog a tad bit difficult. He appeared to had no problem New Years Eve but he now stay a bit closer to the bob.

Now the Bagel is not spooked by gunshots and such, loves thunder and insists dragging me out in the rain because the smells are so beagle pleasing but any dog whom is unnerved by loud noises may never tolerate fireworks. Other than taking your dogs for a ride, keeping the windows up and getting a far distance from the excitement, the only thing you can do is let your terrified dog hide in the closet under a a big pile soft well used (Your smells are very comforting) clothes while you talk to them in a soft soothing voice and suffering with them. Bagel and I feel bad for you and your dogs

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
We are in Western Washington and although there are supposed to be limited hours for selling and shooting fireworks, they have already started here on a small scale. Maggie is nervous but won't get really stressed until the 4th. We put her in her crate and keep the TV on and I usually turn on a fan hoping to mask a little of the sound. My friend has two dogs that are not afraid. She is bringing them over this year to see if Maggie might be more relaxed when she sees they aren't bothered.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Its hard in your situation because there will be fireworks going off any time, not just the official fireworks, but I am wondering if you can take your pup with you to see the official fireworks. I tried that with arty and he was so happy to be outside and also where there were LOTS of other people (including a crazy little chihuahua) that he kind of forgot about the fireworks.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Here they are only allowed fireworks on new years eve. It was a nightmare with our last beagle, Spotty. She used to go crazy and feared she would have a heart attack. All we could do was put our window metal-blinds down and play either loud music or put a film on. But she would still hear the odd banger. You must stay indoors with your beagle.
Our vet did try sedation but it didnt really work and the dog was drousy too long.
Our present two dont mind fireworks, but we still take precautions.
I just wish fireworks would be banned or restricted to a few minutes in organiser hands, not sold to the public.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
As a pup, Murphy used to love fireworks. But after her got hurt (during his recovery - alone at home), an old woman lost control of her car and crashed into our house, literally. Luckily, she hit a stone column and didn't come through. But the noise must have been loud, because ever since, T-storms or fireworks send Murphy into the shakes and he runs for cover.

Summer doesn't mind.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I am soo glad I'm not going to have my Beagle until nearly a month after the Fourth is over. How awful would that be, adopt a dog and have it run off in fright the same night! Fireworks are still legal around here and our dogs always went berzerk every single year.

Good luck, everyone!

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
I agree--fireworks should not be sold to the general public. Only to professionals who have organized shows. Aside from the noise that scares our babes, there are always people who injure themselves, and others, handling fireworks. When Shiloh was younger fireworks and thunderstorms didn't bother her, but ever since we were caught in canon fire (long story) she's been afraid of both. I just try to stay close by, and reassure her that everything is okay.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I have to agree that they shouldn't be sold to the general public.

Our older dog **** is terrified of thunder or fireworks. So lately stome storms have been rolling through so all he does is drool and shake. Now with the 4th approaching my lovely neighbors will be starting with the fireworks.

Now I'm starting to notice Jasmine gets paralyzed. She doesn't shake, just walks around with a scared look on her face. Almost like slinking around. Then I have Maggie who could care less and can't figure out who the other two are acting wierd?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
We only can buy safe and sane fireworks around here, not that that stops some fools from buying mortars and shooting them off, which scares the crud out of me! I'm so afraid embers will start my roof on fire from the ones that are too close.

We have already had some going off around us, just the crackly noise makers and some whistling pete's. Duke was really young last year and they didn't bother him, hoping the same goes this year. They stay inside, so the noise is really muted.

We used to have a shepard when I was a kid and he was so afraid of them that he would literally peel back the metal screen door to get inside the enclosed patio. Poor baby.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts