Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadie and the cats are coming around. Learning tolerance, anyhow.
Now for the next big test...
We have a small hen house with an enclosed run in the back yard. It's been vacant for a few years, but I have a new flock of chicks coming in a couple of weeks. They'll be secure in the coop. No problem there. And I don't expect Sadie to snuggle up to them, but I would rather they weren't her main focus of attention every time she's let out. I guess I'll let her smell them up good when they get here... "These are not prey. They belong to Dad." :nono5:
Any thoughts? Any experience with Beagles and farm animals?

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
My mother and step-father have 5 hens, a rooster and a duck.

Abby would chase them around the yard and a couple times she caught one. The one time she caught one, about a year or so ago, she carried it around by the neck until we all ran after her and screamed. Luckily she didn't kill it.

Now, they have a fence within the main yard fence for the chickens and whenever we go there the chickens are either secured in the coop fence or "put to bed" in their house before Abby roams the yard. She sniffs around the coop for a few minutes but then goes on about her way for the rest of the time she roams.

·
Registered
344 Posts
My girls have been around chickens quite abit, my mom breeds a certain type of chicken.

I think if you are getting chicks and you try to show Sadie them as they grow, you should be ok. But I am not sure....My parents chickens are not allowed outside of their enclosed yard since they can and would wonder away, so my girls have no opportunity to chase them... but they are interested in oh their poo....

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Having grown up on a farm, my guess is, you'll have to teach Sadie the birds are off limits.

I can't wait for pictures and Sadie stories.....let us know how it goes! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

1 - 4 of 4 Posts