Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got Lola last week she’s 10 weeks old, we were told that she was full beagle but after some research we have come to the conclusion that she is a mix. She’s very food oriented and have tried to use that when coming to training her but we seem to make some progress then take about 10 steps back. Any advise is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Advice? Get used to the backwards training progress.. LOL. did you pay for a purebred? Hope you post lots of pictures. You can find good advice here.

6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Advice? Get used to the backwards training progress.. LOL. did you pay for a purebred? Hope you post lots of pictures. You can find good advice here.
I meant to write advice but for some reason it came up with advise lol. Yeah I thought I was getting a full beagle not a mix but I love her all the same. I’ve been reading up on beagle and springer spaniels but it’s hard to know if she has more traits of her beagle side or springer spaniel side. Thank you

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I meant to write advice but for some reason it came up with advise lol. Yeah I thought I was getting a full beagle not a mix but I love her all the same. I’ve been reading up on beagle and springer spaniels but it’s hard to know if she has more traits of her beagle side or springer spaniel side. Thank you
You can do genetic testing. I used Embark for both my dogs. Very pleased with the results. Also like that it tests for many genetic health issues. Natty Boh is a shelter mix. He is 65% beagle. After that, in order, he is Pomeranian, Pekingese and Chow chow. One of Natty Boh's parents was purebred. Ironically, my German Shepherd mix is about 75% German Shepherd and neither of her parents were purebred.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I got Lola last week she’s 10 weeks old, we were told that she was full beagle but after some research we have come to the conclusion that she is a mix. She’s very food oriented and have tried to use that when coming to training her but we seem to make some progress then take about 10 steps back. Any advise is greatly appreciated
Oh I bet Lola is a beautiful pup! 10 weeks is very young, don't expect a long attention span from a puppy. If you keep her attention for 10 minutes, that's great! This is gonna sound odd, but it's often the owner that needs the training (education on how to train for the breed) then mix in the personality of your pup. Good you are reading up on the breeds. She may respond to praise or play more than food. Clicker training is a good way to get your pup to focus on sound and not treats.

My beagle / lab mix looked like a beagle and was a trash troller but she loved swimming, frisbee and fetch (for hours). My beagle, Ally, could care less for fetch, wouldn't get into the water past her "elbows", and food oriented. I made the mistake of relying on food and I was really training her to get treats. Once I had myself trained, we did better but she always had more of a desire to sniff than to receive praise (or treats). I had to accept she was not going to be like my beagle/lab mix who would hang on every word I spoke. She may surprise you as she grows because Springers are usually very attentive to their owners. Fingers crossed!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts