Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, first time posting on here but it’s been very helpful reading other posts as I’m a first time beagle owner.
I’m looking for advice on walking my beagle, he’s almost 1 years old and walking him is awful, he constantly pulls, dashes all over the place, howls at other dogs, he goes to doggy day care a couple times a week and has lots of interactions with other dogs, we’ve tried so many different harnesses, leads, his favourite treats, teaching him commands which he understands but ignores when we are out in public, very headstrong and definitely has selective hearing 🙈 sometimes I dread walking him because I know it’s going to be awful and sometimes so embarrassing!! I honestly don’t know what else to try..

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Welcome.. my dog is now 9 years old. Ive tried every type harness. Ive given up walking my dog for my health reasons. The one and only harness that came close to working the best is called the PERFECT PACE halter. It looks like the "gentle leader" you can find in the petstore but its not the same.. the Perfect Pace has a different and safer connection. You can get one on Amazon or Bold Leads website.
I highly recommend that one..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello,
I feel your pain. My beagle, Belle used to (and still does when we go out) walk horribly on a leash. I also tried everything, but I found the training tool that works for us. I use a check chain and lots of sausage pieces! 😅 First, teach your beagle to walk on a leash at home. Once he has mastered that, take him to a place that has less distractions, but enough that it will still challenge him. Build up on this, slowly working your way into busy areas like parks, main streets, etc. That way, if you notice him not responding to your commands you can take it back a step and continue working with him until you think he is ready. It may seem like a lot of work, but believe me, it is worth it. I've done this with my beagle (now almost 3) and she walks fine on her daily walks. Although she has some fear issues that we are working on, but that's another story. (She is a big scaredy cat LOL)
Also, teach him the ''watch me'' command. It is very helpful!
I hope this helps you, and I wish you luck.
It will be all worth the effort in the end.

- Zoe (the Hooman) and Belle (The Boss)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey everyone, first time posting on here but it’s been very helpful reading other posts as I’m a first time beagle owner.
I’m looking for advice on walking my beagle, he’s almost 1 years old and walking him is awful, he constantly pulls, dashes all over the place, howls at other dogs, he goes to doggy day care a couple times a week and has lots of interactions with other dogs, we’ve tried so many different harnesses, leads, his favourite treats, teaching him commands which he understands but ignores when we are out in public, very headstrong and definitely has selective hearing 🙈 sometimes I dread walking him because I know it’s going to be awful and sometimes so embarrassing!! I honestly don’t know what else to try..
Well I am still working on this AND there is progress. First give up the idea you are going for a nice walk. Second use a harness so it doesn't hurt their necks. Third its all about you, nit them. I take my 2 beagles out by first allowing me through the door or gate first. It sets the tone who is pack leader. At 1.5 and 2.5 years they now know if they run down the gangway, we dont go. They stay at my knee or behind me. Now for the unconventional walk...here's where I am still working at it. If they pull I stop and wait, or go the opposite direction. So you see we don't really go for a walk. Alot of stopping, turning. I used to walk in the street and go between every car, up and back, they didn't know what I was doing and started walking behind me! So I progressed to the street only...some progress here...the neighbors stopped asking me if I was lost! Why do I walk in the street. Less squirrels, and they focus on me better. I am progressing them to the sidewalk but as soon as they start the pulling, we stop, turn in opposite direction of their pulling, or I go back to streets again. It is working. NEVER pull them or give into their pull. Simply just stop moving until they stop, or go in another direction of their pull. I did this process with my 85# lab and he walked like a show dog. It took time, but it worked. Oh and bring treats and reward for good walking only. Time, patience, time, it will work. Just start telling yourself we are going out, give up on the conventional walk for now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Oh if you have a yard, let them run freely first and after to get that out of their system. No yard? I would run them up and down my stairs a few times first. Then remember who first out the gate or door.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well I am still working on this AND there is progress. First give up the idea you are going for a nice walk. Second use a harness so it doesn't hurt their necks. Third its all about you, nit them. I take my 2 beagles out by first allowing me through the door or gate first. It sets the tone who is pack leader. At 1.5 and 2.5 years they now know if they run down the gangway, we dont go. They stay at my knee or behind me. Now for the unconventional walk...here's where I am still working at it. If they pull I stop and wait, or go the opposite direction. So you see we don't really go for a walk. Alot of stopping, turning. I used to walk in the street and go between every car, up and back, they didn't know what I was doing and started walking behind me! So I progressed to the street only...some progress here...the neighbors stopped asking me if I was lost! Why do I walk in the street. Less squirrels, and they focus on me better. I am progressing them to the sidewalk but as soon as they start the pulling, we stop, turn in opposite direction of their pulling, or I go back to streets again. It is working. NEVER pull them or give into their pull. Simply just stop moving until they stop, or go in another direction of their pull. I did this process with my 85# lab and he walked like a show dog. It took time, but it worked. Oh and bring treats and reward for good walking only. Time, patience, time, it will work. Just start telling yourself we are going out, give up on the conventional walk for now.
Hahahhahahah, i think people think i am homeless, i sitt on the dloor sometimes and just watch people around. Last night i was able to do a small run with him, i was shouting yess yes like crazy so he won't stop and it worled 😅.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My beagle enjoys walks. But before the walk, he acts like I'm taking him to his execution. I show him the harness and he lays his head down. I put on the harness and leash and tell him we're going for a walk. He has to be pulled outside half the time. Mostly, he's extremely hesitant. But once he sees he's not getting in the car, he's cool and is happy to walk. What's with that? The car is in the garage. And car rides aren't always to the vet or groomer. In fact, he's okay with getting into it when we do go somewhere, which isn't often. He's not into car rides.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts