Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took Shiloh to the park this weekend. He loves arooing up the trails and meeting new people. I ran across a lady about my age (50) and she said, What a cute little mixed breed. Well, Shiloh is an AKC Beagle but that's not what bothered me. After I told her he was a Beagle, she said, Honey, no he's not. Anybody know's ALL full blooded beagles have a white blaze on their face. I just smiled at her and kept walking. Have you ever heard that? I've seen alot of beagles with no blaze. Shiloh has white under his chin (gosh, I've got to get pics of him to show you guys)and the usual tri-color markings.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have absolutely never heard that one before - maybe she got mixed up with Beagles having white on their tails. I have seen many Beagles without white markings on their faces but not sure I have ever seen a full-blooded Beagle without at least a small bit of a white tip on their tail.

She sounds like the lady that me and Shasta were talking to at Petsmart one day - she was very confident that Shasta was a Bassett, no matter what I said to convince her otherwise. To me, the dead give-away for Bassetts are their longer ears and their stance - neither of which does Shasta have.
I felt like wanting to get Shasta's papers but I even doubt that would have convinced her.

There is something about people like that who really get my blood boiling - it's like, lady, I've lived with this dog for a couple of years or more and I spent the money to get her registered - I think I know. (Ok, gotta settle down now - gotta get some work done)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
People are great, arent they

Attachments

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
As a breeder I can tell you that many purebred Beagles do not have a white blaze. Some that start out with one as a puppy lose it as they mature also. Sorry that you and the rest of us all have to endure people that think they know everything.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
If you look to your left there and see my Miss Bones, Beagle of the Month
you'll notice no blaze on her face. She has a very faint patch of white fur on her nose that looks like she bumped into someone holding a paint brush dipped in white, but that is it. I think we've all held misconceptions before, but it takes a special kind of person to not keep an open mind and be willing to be educated... and another kind of person entirely to so boldly contradict someone who actually knows that about which she speaks. Wow!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Donna,
Shiloh looks just like your beautiful beagle. He was the only one in the littler that didn't have a blaze. He definately has the white tip on his tail!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eve,
Miss Bones is gorgeous. I am going to get a disposable camera this weekend and take some photos of Shiloh.

I can't wait for you guys to see him!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Our sweet girl MiMi doesn't have a white blaze, either, and she is a show champion (now retired).

I had a similar conversation just last weekend with a know-it-all who also described our MiMi as a 'field' beagle. When I corrected the KIA to explain that she was bred for show/breeding, he completely blew me off. Oh, well.

I didn't argue, but chalked it up as someone who really doesn't know what he is talking about.

·
Registered
350 Posts
she said, Honey, no he's not. Anybody know's ALL full blooded beagles have a white blaze on their face. I just ....

.....told her she was a fat piece of dog doo doo and that everyone knows that people as stupid and crass as her should be spayed or neutered!!!!!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Ugh - people. We get that attitude a lot with Booker, who is the only one of our rescues who actually came with AKC papers, but has a wavy coat. At the first beagle event we went to after getting her one of the breeders who is involved with the group pointed out (with clear contempt in her voice) how her coat was wavy... like that somehow disentitled her to be at this stupid event because she clearly wasn't a real beagle. She does have a blaze on her face, though - although Moosie and Buzz don't.
And there was a beagle in our neighbourhood that didn't have a white tip on his tail - he had papers too...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: BookerMoose
And there was a beagle in our neighbourhood that didn't have a white tip on his tail - he had papers too...
Now that's unusual! It's not something I've ever heard of or seen although you can always get those rare genetic anomalies! Bit like beagles with liver colouring or mis marked labs.

As most would know beagles are bred to have at least a white tip on their tail so that they can be easily spotted from a distance when in the field on a scent.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think a pat answer to all these ignoramouses is called for.
Such as:

That was the belief at one time, however the knowledge now, recognized by the AKC, is that,[insert stupid fact here], is common in many purebread beagles.

(I hate Know It Alls!)

·
Registered
251 Posts
That's like saying all Germans are blonde or that every African is black...sheesh!

Here's Rocky....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I've never heard anything so ridiculous in my life lol.

I had a row with someone once who said much the same thing to me because Rosa couldn't possibly be a pure bred Beagle because she wasn't tall enough....she's 14 inches high....doh

·
Registered
786 Posts
My girls I adopted from the ASPCA. Long story made short,they're mother was brought in pregnant to my vet and thats where they were born. So they never actually saw the ASPCA.
So from my vet looking at the girls and seeing them grow he would guess they are 99.9% all beagle. And the one thing he said how he could tell is by the white tip on there tail?

Some people think they are authorities....

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I have gone through the same thing. Coco is not your typical Beagle tri-color (and doesn't have a white blaze either) and it twice the size of a normal beagle. I got into it with a lady one time at a park about he not being a full breed beagle because of his size, weight (35lbs) and lack of white blaze on his face. I know he is because I got the papers when I bought him to prove it. I didn't feel the need to keep arguing with someone so stubborn
so I remember saying, It doesn't matter what he looks like to me because I know what he is and I will love him regardless and that pretty much quiet her

1 - 18 of 18 Posts