Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all i live in London and have just had my dog (Max, a 14month old tri-colour beagle) weighed at the vets. He is 18kgs, does this seem overweight?? alot of sites say he should be about 14kgs, which way do i turn. The vet said that he is a little overweight but 4 kgs difference seems alot to me...any advice many thanks

·
Registered
890 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World. I had to do a little metric conversion to find out he is about 40lbs for us Americans. The answer is It Depends. How tall is he. For a standard 13 beagle, that would be overweight. For a 15, not so much. Tucker is about 17 and weighs 45 lbs or 20.4kgs. He could stand to lose a few, but he is not bad because of his size. If the vet thinks he is overweight, he probably is. The best thing to do is cut back on food a little, make sure he has high quality food, watch the snacks, especially bad ones, and exercise. Exercise is good for you and the dog.

again, welcome to Beagle World

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Welcome!
We have Roscoe who is steady at 22 lbs (very lean and kinda tall)
Cole is shorter than Roscoe but already at 26 lbs (stockier build)
Gino is a beagle bassett mix at 38 lbs

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Welcome from London. Glad to have you part of the group. Current Beagle Bama, weighs 24 pounds.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My boys are about 17 tall and way anywhere from 32 to 45 pounds. A little chunky, but the vet is not concerned about their weight. I did foster a beagle for BONES that came to us weighing 82 lbs (down from 120) and we were able to get her down to just over 50lbs before she was adopted. I saw her a couple of weeks ago and she is still losing weight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts