Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am getting my first pup soon, and have done a LOT of research. I have gone through many articles and realized what i wanted in a dog and what i could get. I will be living in an apartment part of the time, so that narrows many dogs out of the picture, anyway. I am in college, but i'm not a big party guy and i am always in my apartment, so i plan to spend a lot of time with him. Daily walks would be very easy for us.

But anyway, i have it down to the Beagle or Boston Terrier. From what i have read, they are both very smart dogs, good around people, and about equal on maintenance. I have read that Beagle can be a little hard to train, but that does not intimidate me at all. So please, give me some honest opinions on what you all think. I have played with both many, many times and still can't decide. I realize this is a Beagle forum, but this will also be posted on a BT forum. I hope for honest opinions of good/bad things in each dog, and which would truly be better. Thank you, and have a good day with your Beagles!

BUD

·
Registered
837 Posts
I would personally say Bostons may be a little more laid back when it comes to apartment life.

Beagles being 'a little hard to train' can sometimes be an understatement. Being a hound, they are stubborn, strong willed and need a lot of exercise. They do not like being on their own all day and if bored will become destructive and may develop separation anxiety - which is fine for when you are in college, but if you do start working full time a beagle may find it hard to adjust. Whilst I'm not too familiar with Bostons, those I know have been a little more laid back than beagles.

I think beagles make great pets for the right people, but I personally would never have one in an apartment. I know some people do, but if it was me I would go a smaller breed like a Boston.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you i appreciate that...I remember reading somewhere that Beagles make a good apartment dog when i googled best apartment dog, but as i do more research, and ask real beagle owners, it seems they may not be the best apt dog.

Let me know what you others think!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I raise Beagles here and my sister raises Bostons. I will have to ask her some info about how her Bostons are.

As for training I have had numerous Beagles and have yet to find one that is difficult to housebreak. I'm sure the day will come, but for the most part I have found them as easy or difficult as any other dog I've owned.

We are very permissive with our beagles in terms of allowing them to sleep with us and allowing them to get on furniture. We do train them not to put paws on tables, counters, etc.. We train them not to beg for food. They can sit patiently and look at us while we eat, but they cannot be a pest while we eat. We train them not to lick (this is a no doggy kisses household). Our dogs are trained (not allowed) to howl. They are brought in if they start barking. We train them to use a crate when we they are young and not yet housebroke. We still use the crates occasionally when we go out and don't want them to have the run of the house and they do fine. I can't really say anything about separation anxiety because I do work from home so I am rarely gone. We have went on weekend getaways and they seem to be fine when we get back.

I love my beagles because they expend their energy in bursts. The rest of the time they come in and lay around in the sun and sleep. Our beagles are just a part of our family.

I'll tell you about Bostons when I get a chance to ask my sister.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I always had a thing for Bostons, but I can't say it even comes close to me adoring the Beagle breed. I know a few people with Bostons and they are playful (so are Beagles), smart (so are Beagles) and love to be with their family (so are Beagles).... I guess I'm no help there.

Ooooh, maybe I am - How can you resist those fluffy ears, and soft look that they have. And Beagle puppies are probably the cutest thing on 4 legs!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I live in an apartment with Chuck, and he is perfect. We also got him at 9 weeks, and he was potty trained to go to oure back door to the patio within 3 weeks. He is amazing and I love him!!
My hubby adores him also.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Re: Beagle vs Boston Terrier..just can't decide, H

Originally Posted By: beagletailsI love my beagles because they expend their energy in bursts. The rest of the time they come in and lay around in the sun and sleep. Our beagles are just a part of our family.
That expresses what I wanted to say perfectly - we have four rescue beagles (in an apartment...) and we don't find it to be a problem with them having too much energy. Their energy comes out as short bursts in between extended naps! Ours range from 2 years to 12 years and all are similar in that they settle down well when we are also settled down/watching tv/sleeping/working on the computer - then when the leashes come out and they know they are going for a walk they go into high gear. So I certainly don't think beagles cannot be apartment dogs - it may be different with some beagles but after four I am definitely seeing a pattern... also puppies may well be different as we have adopted all of ours as adults.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

I should add that we just came back from a rainy walk and now I am sitting on the bed with my laptop and three of our four just pleaded to be let under the covers and are curled up in a big beagle ball at my feet (the fourth is a bit more of a loner and so she has crawled under the blanket in one of the dog beds in another room)!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I've had both a Boston Terrier, and beagles. The Boston Terrier, Duke, traveled with us for many years when my husband was a career marine. He traveled well, adapted well, was good with the kids, and did okay the time we did live in an apartment. In respect to intelligence, he may not have been the norm, because he wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

For the past 35 years, we've had a beagle or beagle mix in residence. We've never had a bigger problem house training them than we had with any other dog. They do want to be with their people, which is natural with most dogs. We've never lived in an apartment with one, so can't help you there. When they get on a scent they are subject to selective hearing, but that's not a big deal if you keep them leashed or in a secure area.

After saying all that, all I can add is that it's a matter of personal preference.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

Originally Posted By: BookerMoose also puppies may well be different as we have adopted all of ours as adults.
We've had two of ours since they were 5 weeks (Tate) and 8 weeks (Maya). Even as puppies they act the same. Energy...long nap....energy....long nap. They seem to have a lot of energy in the early morning right after sleeping all night, then they sleep all day until early evening. Then we have NASdog racing in the back yard for about 1/2 hour every evening where they run around a lot (usually about 5-6 p.m. in winter 7-8 p.m. in the summer) and then they come in and sleep all night. Our dogs are used to bed time being 7-7:30 p.m. every night.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
As for living in an apartment...Some Beagles do great, others not so great. Jersey has separation anxiety. She is very vocal when left alone and half my building can hear her howls. Because of this, we don't leave her home alone. She's not destructive though, thank God. Other than that, living in an apartment is no problem with a Beagle. She's very quiet when we're home with her and rarely barks. We take Jersey for walks and to the dog park (things I would do even if I lived in a house) to get exercise. If we could conquer Jersey's separation anxiety, we wouldn't have any problems with life in an apartment.

I have a close friend with a Boston Terrier. He is a great little dog. He's a happy dog, well behaved with a great disposition. He's such a big baby too. He's go this huge stuffed animal (bigger than him) that he carries around with him. He even sleeps with it. He'll fall asleep holding it in his mouth. So cute. I seriously considered getting one. She has a two year old daughter now and he is great with her. He's calmed down a lot now that he is older, but as a puppy and for the first few years he was nuts. If I had to say who was smarter, of course, I would say Jersey. But Mike and I have invested a lot more time in training with Jersey than my friends did with Tux. He's a good dog, but I don't see him as exceptionally smart.

I must say that I'm glad I chose a Beagle. They are so kind and loving and Jersey is just the sweetest dog. Plus the ears...the soft velveteen rabbit ears...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wow i really appreciate all the responses...it seems as though both dogs would be great in an apartment, with the proper training. That just makes it even harder! I really want an exciting dog, and one that knows how to push the limits in a situation. I don't like dogs that just walk around all day and do nothing, like a cat. I know that beagles are like that, but i'm almost unsure if a boston would be like that. I am still researching and trying to figure out which will be better.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
I couldnt imagine living with any dog in an apartment, but many people do and manage well. The main thing is giving them plenty of excercise.Beagles are favourites with us, but we do believe in keeping them in pairs. Good luck whatever you decide.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Our Duke pushed the limit too much at times. He didn't accept that other dogs were bigger than him, and would go after them. We had a neighbor whose dog Duke disliked for some unknown reason. One night when the neighbor kids went home from our house, Duke snuck out behind them and actually followed them into their house to go after their dog.

As I said before, he was good with our kids, adapted well to traveling, moving, etc., but he wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer about some things. He did make our life interesting at times.
We had a friend whose shoe Duke would pee on every time he got a chance. At one point when we got to a new duty station, we met up with this fellow after not having seen him for several years. He came to visit and, sure enough, Duke peed on his shoe.
Lucky for us, the guy had a strange sense of humor and thought these incidents were funny.

That's not to say that all Bostons would do these things, but Duke was a character.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: BuddyI really want an exciting dog, and one that knows how to push the limits in a situation. I don't like dogs that just walk around all day and do nothing, like a cat.
You just described a Beagle. I never know what Jersey is going to do next. Some days she's a little quieter than others, but most days she keeps me on my toes. I can promise you that life with a Beagle is never boring.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Beagles are THIEVES! I actually think this little trait of beagles is hilarious, although finding things in the backyard that should have never been taken out (bras, underwear, baby toys) there isn't always fun. What makes it funny to watch though is the way they do it. They KNOW they are not supposed to take something so they sneakily grab with their mouths, walk past you slowly like nothing is up and when they are out of your reach they take off running. If you get up and chase after they think it is even more fun.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Donna, that sounds just like Jersey. She has a different little prance when she's got something she shouldn't. She's a little kleptomaniac and I think she's part billy goat as well...she just loves to chew paper.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Okay...I just called my sister. She has had both Bostons and Beagles and she says she much prefers her Boston Terriers. She says they are very sweet and loving dogs and they are quieter than beagles. She HAS had some major issues with house breaking though. She describes their energy as similar (in spurts then sleep). Bostons evidently don't get as large as beagles. Hers are 14-15 inches tall and weigh less than 20 lbs. Even my most petite beagle weighs 25 lbs. She hasn't had any major health issues with hers, but then they are all under 2 years of age. She does have one Boston that is having issues with a cherry eye and she has one that gets car sick, but the car sickness has nothing to do with the breed as far as I am concerned. Hope that this information helps you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wow i really cannot thank you enough for all the help you have provided! You went out of your way just to help a newb on the forums! I really appreciate that. Unfortunately, the only thing this thread has done is make my decision even harder...Before i made this thread, i was leaning towards the BT, then this thread made me lean towards the Beagle, and after Donna's replies, I am back to square one in the decision process.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts