Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I chatted with hubby last night and to my surprise he is very happy about getting another dog and agrees that getting a rescue is a good idea. He agrees also that Rosa would benefit from having a canine buddy and that she has changed since Lilly died and isn't as settled as she was.

But, he doesn't think a Basset is a good idea. He wants to get another Beagle. He said that all the Bassets he's ever seen just plod along really slooooowly zzzzzzzzz /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif and he's never seen one run haha so he doesn't think that they are a good match for a Beagle.

I'm not sure that I really want another Beagle though. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the breed but they are as you all know very lively and excitable dogs with bags and bags of energy and Rosa is no exception.

I just feel that the time has come for me to take life a little more calmly and I am more suited to the placid and laid back nature of the Basset. I have thought of other breeds but my mind keeps on wandering back to hounds. I so love their independent and affectionate nature and can't imagine myself with a dog from a different group.

What do you all think? The last thing I want to do is make a mistake. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Registered
193 Posts
My husband thought the same until we got Rupert.
Little legs would not be able to run,he now knows different.
Both the Bassets can run really fast.They climb 20 foot high sanddunes the run all the time,Precious goes charging across the estury after birds and will hunt anything given the chance.
Only this morning she went out of sight after a bird and came back covered in water and sand.
They both play really hard and do wall of death round the house.
They are as bad as Beagles if not worse.
Yvonne

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmmm so if I got say for arguments sake a 6 year old Basset it wouldn't be any calmer or more laid back than a 6 year old Beagle??

All the websites and literature I've read would suggest that Bassets do take life far more calmly and at a slower pace than Beagles. Although I wasn't ever under the impression like my hubby that they don't run about :rotflmao: I did think that they wouldn't perhaps be so hyper, at least not a slightly older one anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Jennifer,

I was surprised to read about all of the high-energy beagles on this forum.

Henry is my only beag and he is very layed back...lazy, if you will...with spurts of playfulness intespersed between his endless naps.

That is the good thing about adopting from a rescue...their behavior is already known and the foster parents can give you a report on what they are like.

I have to admit...bassets are pretty sweet, too. But I'll bet there is a lazy Henry-type of beetle out there looking for love, too.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Well, my two beagles are pretty high strung but they are still very young. My trainer has a basset and he is as hyper as my dogs are. I was surprised actually at how fast he can run. I think that I am now a lifer to a beagle breed. If I ever get to the point where I want a calmer dog, I think I would just search for an older one, well older than 2 years old anyway. Good luck and congrats on choosing to adopt from a shelter!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Perhaps my two are the exceptions :bounce2:
I really do not know about slightly older ones as Rupert is 2 and Precious coming on for 4.
I would not call either hyper but they are lively.
But they also sleep a lot.They have a 1 hour walk in the morning,run off lead and generally do houndy things then relax until about three.Their second walk is about 30 mins on lead then they have a mad half hour later on.
The Beagles I have had in the past were much the same with the exception of one who was extremely lively.
Griff the Beagle is 11 and he still enjoys his walks runs when out but is generally quiet at home.
Both my Bassets were rescues and are not the huge show type but lighter built,so perhaps this enables them to be more active.
Hope this helps a bit
Yvonne.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
We lived across the street from a basset for years. When he was a youngster, he'd come over and play chase with Misty for long periods of time. Watching a basset trying to catch a whippet was quite a sight! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Fred did have the advantage of being able to corner quickly. He did all the things a mischievious pup does, but I wouldn't say he was any more or less active than a beagle.

Li'l Girl was around a year old when we adopted her, and she's never been hyper. She and Traveler used to play until they practically dropped, but as they got older that stopped.

My experience would indicate that it's more a dog's age than breed that determines how active it's likely to be.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Suzi is about 10 now and loves to run around outside but in the house she's quite mellow, usually content to curl up in her chair and watch what everyone else is up to, until someone walks into the kitchen, then somehow she materializes right next to them, sort of like the transporter in Star Trek.

She's pretty much been this way since we got her when she was about seven months old. Fun time outside, chill time inside.

·
Registered
193 Posts
just an excuse to show them off :wave:

Top one is Rupert bottom one is Precious

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Just my opinion: I think either one is great!

I know, I'm no help....... :hi:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Marc grew up with bassets and loves them both, but in his experience they can be just as hyper (or mellow) as any beagle - and I really think it comes down to the specific dog, whether beagle or basset.

He does say that, whereas with the beagles it takes them about 30 seconds to do a complete "urinalisis" of each and every blade of grass/post/tree we pass on our walks, with the bassets the same examination could take up to 3 minutes! And I think you need to like saliva if you live with bassets - or at least get used to having it around a lot... In contrast, the beagles only seem to get drooling when there is food around - not constantly!

All three of our beagles are laid back - I would describe their lives as relatively short bursts of energy in between extended naps! All of ours (and Booker in particular) would happily sleep about 23 hours out of every 24 if they could... and they have all been that way since they were quite young. But at the same time they are always up for a walk - they just don't NEED a long walk every day just so they are not hyper and climbing off the walls (but they, of course, should have a long walk every day for other reasons!).

I think probably one of the best things about getting an adult rescue dog - whether basset or beagle - is that you can see what the dog's personality and energy level really is and whether it is going to fit into the specific dynamics of your household.

Good luck - I really don't think you can go wrong either way...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Here's my two cents...I would definitely recommend an adult rescue, but it seems that is what you've already decided. :thumbup: Beagles slow down eventually. My Amber tetered out at about 4-5 years old. She was perfectly content to just lay around all day at that point. Bassetts can be energetic but slow down earlier in life than a Beagle does (so it seems from the exposure I've had to both breeds). I prefer Beagles, but Bassetts are a good second. I've actually considered getting one in the past. Really, any hound dog (and by hound dog I mean a typical hound like beagles, bassetts, foxhounds, bloodhounds, etc...not those fru-fru things they include at the dog shows!) works for me. Both are great breeds. I'm sure you'll love whatever you choose to go with. I don't think you can go wrong either way. OK, I was really no help.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You have all been fantastic help, thank you so much.

The more I read about Bassets the more I've come to realise that it is indeed the age and/or the dogs individual character and not the breed that determines just how hyperactive they will be. Rosa is 6 and has always been a very excitable dog compared to Lilly who was very laid back. I was just worried that I would end up with two dogs like Rosa and not be able to cope. That sounds awful but I have to be honest with myself.

Vonny your dogs are beautiful, thanks for sharing.

I've been looking at the dogs on the Many Tears website http://www.freewebs.com/manytearsrescue/dogslookingforhomes.htm and there is a lovely Beagle Bitch called Sherry who is 9 years old. There is also a Basset called Rosie but someone is already interested in her plus it says she would be better suited with a male dog. I will show my hubby Sherry's details later today.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a beag and a basset and the only thing I would suggest is to get a basset about the same age as your beag. Mine play together great, BUT the beag is not a year old yet and Daisy is 11 and not in the best of health. That being said, she tries her darndest to keep up with Sadie. Bassets can be even more stubborn than beags, so patience really is a virtue!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Quote: I was just worried that I would end up with two dogs like Rosa and not be able to cope. That sounds awful but I have to be honest with myself.
I think that's a very realistic idea. Monty (our younger beagle) is also very energetic and quite a handful at times. I too was a little bit worried about being able to handle two beagles. Luckily Spencer (our second rescue beagle) is a very calm dog from nature. The two really go well together. I think I would have been pretty overwhealmed with two Monty type beagles, but a calm beagle as a second dog was the best choice we could have made. I would pick the second dog out based on his personality, rather than his breed.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jennifer -- Sherry is beautiful and sounds like she would be a perfect playmate for Rosa. Here's hoping your hubby goes for it - I vote "yes"!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hubby is worried that Sherry is too old and that I won't have many years with her. I say that doesn't matter because she needs a loving home for the rest of her life no matter how long or short that may be.

We are still discussing things and I have e-mailed the rescue centre expressing an interest.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I hope that you convince your Hubby :heart:
I would have them all if I could but have to be realistic and know my limits.
Yvonne

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Sandy,
I would love to watch a bassett trying to catch a whippet! How funny that must have been. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Rosa,
I can understand your husband's concern but a shorter time with a beagle who needs a loving home in her twilight years are all the more precious. I hope it works out. (I'm trying to pull up her pic but my computer is feeing a bit stubborn today.)

~Denise

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Sherry is a lovely lady. :heart: I can understand your husband's concern, but being a real sucker for the more senior dogs, I'd take her in a heartbeat. Strangely enough, just today, Dusty and I said that any dogs we have in the future will be adopted seniors. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

1 - 20 of 23 Posts