Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5-6 year old male beagle has always had mild trembles usually when he is resting. But the past two nights he has woken me up on purpose and is tembling beyond control. He also pants a little intermitantly. I took him to the Vet and he took blood and a stool sample but I am worried. Anyone else go through this?
He is also extremely clingying the next morning after this occurs. Typically when I start my morning shower he takes off like a shot downsatairs but on both days he has wanted to be right there.

He is eating and drinking alright and per the Vet he has no temp.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Could this be some sort of a seizure? I hope not and I hope whatever is causing this issue gets resolved soon. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He doesn't exhibit any other signs (I had a dog who had them bad) he is alert and oriented, he can see, no foaming at the mouth and he seems to have complete motor function.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Molly is my frist beagle and she doesn't seem to have this problem, but I did have a pointer who trembled and reversed coughed when I first got her and for the next few months. She was a rescue and I got her when she was about nine months old. She was also very underweight and acted like she had been ignored by her previous owners, and so she had some additional problems as well. When I told the vet the problem he said that it wasn't normal per se but not unheard of in young dogs and that she would grow out of it, and she did.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I did give Dino a half of the pill the Vet reccomended and he slept thru the night beautifully. He is eating and drinking so I am hoping when I get the results from the vet on Friday that all will be okay.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Is anything scaring him? Maggie will shake and pant if we turn on the fan above the stove or when the Blue Angels are practicing for Seafair in Seattle and they fly so low over my house it rattles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey I am in Seattle too! West Seattle, over on Beach Drive. Yes he does startle at thunder and we had some a few days back as you know. I just heard frtom the Vet that everything in his tests came back completely within normal limits so that is a relief!.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Oreo occasionally trembles while sleeping. Sometimes, he's made louder noises but he doesn't tremble once he's woken up so I just attribute it to the occasional nightmare. Plus I'll usually give him a treat to take his mind off any bad dreams.

So glad that nothing worse was wrong with him!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Dino's mom, I am actually in Bremerton but when the Blue Angels practice they come this way. The first year I lived in this house, I thought a plane was crashing in my back yard. Its nice to know there is another member so close. I don't think there are very many of us in Washington. Glenda is in Eastern Wa.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Originally Posted By: jassyDino's mom, I am actually in Bremerton but when the Blue Angels practice they come this way. The first year I lived in this house, I thought a plane was crashing in my back yard. Its nice to know there is another member so close. I don't think there are very many of us in Washington. Glenda is in Eastern Wa.
We're not too far away either - in Vancouver, BC!

·
Registered
890 Posts
I'm down a little south in Vancouver, Wa. My work is practically at the end of the runway at the Portland airport. They have a National Guard airbase there that fly's F-15's. When they take off it rattles the building. If you are outside you have to cover your ears. The regular jets we barely hear anymore. The turbo props that Horizon flys are barely noticeable. But those F-15's are loud.

·
Registered
56 Posts
DinosMom, what you are describing is a medical condition called epilepsy. My Dillon has epilepsy but his seizures are controlled by his Phenobarbitol medicine. He has not had any seizures since Dr. Randall upped his Pheno dosage to 100 mg.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Glad there is nothing wrong with him - sometimes Chloe trembles a little in her sleep - but it's not seizure like - I think she's just chasing those short earred wabbits next door in her sleep (some people call them CATS
). And yes, I'm in eastern WA - about 60 miles from Spokane in a VERY small town. Glad we don't have any airports near us - I lived in Sacramento for over 30 years and we had two air bases, plus the airport - it got a little crazy at times.
We lived just a few miles from McClellan AFB (which has since closed) - and I always felt they told the pilots to land in our yard they sounded so close.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 18 month old Marley started the same thing in August. It's like she's shivering in the heat of the summer and when it's over she's clingy and anxious. She also stays lying down for the rest of the day. (Not normal for a beagle puppy) The vet told me her diagnosis of seizures is based on her behaviour before and after the shivering. My husband has similar mild seizures controlled by meds, but he actually said the dog looks like he feels when he's having a seizure. The doc won't medicate until the seizures become more frequent or larger. Right now we're down to 1-2 a month and all petit mal. They usually come on after she's rolled in something stinky and then ran like a demon to play keep away. It seems the overstimulation triggers the seizures.

What other triggers has anyone experienced? I'm curious to learn more.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Vinny is an Epi-Beagle and has been on Phenobarb since 6 months old. Make sure you have your dogs liver tested at least once a year if on Phenobarb as it can cause damage over time. I am taking Vinny next week to have him checked and to persuade the vet to switch him to Potassium Bromide, a nonnarcatic treatment for epilepsy.

I am pasting the address for a site called The Epi-Guardian Angels, that has been an big help to me in dealing with Vinny. It was sent to me by Judy of judymaggie one of the moderators here about 3 years ago.

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/

·
Registered
847 Posts
When we got Bodie the breeder did say Beagles are susceptible to seizures. We have noticed when Bodie sleeps his little body does twitch too. But nothing drastic or to the extend of waking him. It almost looks like he's shivering. I'll ask the vet about it the next time we're in.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Charlie Trembles in My huns car/not mine though.

Were guessing it's because Huns car is the car We picked Charlie up in when we adopted him close to a Year ago.

None the less it's sad to see as He trembles shakes so much, all I can do is confort and reassure him all will be ok:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts