Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I was just going to ask about some of the weird stuff that my beagles does and see if any of yours does the same.
1. She gets car sick.
2. She HATES when someone blows on her (or puffs air in her direction) like w/ a blow dryer etc.
3. She wants to be outside 24/7 no matter how hot, cold or rainy it is.
4. She LOVES TO BAY! She'll bay at anything!
5. She loves to snuggle (with her daddy of course!)
6. She sniffs so hard/fast that she starts this gagging/coughing/sneezing thing??!?

I'll add to the list later and please share your weirdo beagle traits too!
Thanks!
Christal

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
1. The Bagel (my rescue beagle) loves car rides and never gets car sick.

2. He tolerates when I blow on him but it is clear he doesn't like it!

3. He wants to be outside during the day but with me in the house when the sun goes down.

4. He only tongues (Bays) when he has a scent or sees another dog.

5. His prefered sleeping position is his back to my back and he likes pets and getting his ears scratched, but while he allows me to hold him but isn't in love with concept of cuddling.

6. I think sniffing, sniffing and more sniffing complete with the reverse sneezing (The ng/coughing/sneezing thing) is very typical beagle behavior.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I don't think your dog is a wierdo...just unique, the only thing that Suzy has in common is that she likes to cuddle. She is very tolerant if we start messing with her and only goes outside about 4 times a day, she's more of an indoor dog. Suzy howls when someone gets home or if she is excited (seeing another dog or wants to play) but other than that very calm. She's more of a couch guard dog, that is her lookout tower /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Your beetle sounds pretty normal to me.

Henry hasn't gotten carsick yet, but an "urp" would not surprise me.

I've never blown on him. The sound of a hairdryer would make him run for cover.

He likes to go outside to get a suntan then comes in to cool off.

He aroos at things like his reflection in the side of a shiny car...or the shiney car...or something imaginary that he sees through the trees.

He loves to cuddle and sleeps like a rock in the bed.

~Denise

·
Registered
124 Posts
I completely forgot! Suzy loves to sleep underneath the blankets! Of the 9 dogs my family has had over the years her and Pluto (my 1st beag) were the only ones to do this.

·
Registered
333 Posts
All those sound like my beagles...but shhhh don't tell anyone, but Badger actually likes the hairdryer and sits on my lap after a bath so I can dry him off! hee hee hee :biglaugh:

He doesn't like it though when I blow on his nose to either get a toy or something naughty out of his mouth.

Oh and Bella does not get car sick, but good old Badge does!! Gotta love em!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Christal,

Please describe the "odd" behavior you say your Beag is exibiting. :rotatesmiley2:

Odd behavior is giving your Beagle a treat and then watching him dig an imaginary hole in the carpet or couch, then watch him cover up the hole with imaginary dirt with his nose. Oh, and all the time he is crying like a little baby. Not really odd, but nearly every Beag on this board has some or all of the behaviors described.

The oddity is the Beagle itself. They march to the tune of a different drummer. Thats waht makes them so dang adorable. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I prefer the more delicate term, "unique"! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Here are a couple of Maggie's more unique habits:

She gets Innova Evo treats. They are the same food formula as her food. If she walks away from the food, she will still eat one of the treats. Okay, let's take this a step further ... she will eat the treat if I break it in half first!!! I'm thinking it is the smell that might be stronger when it is opened? But let's get even more "unique" ... the treats come in different shapes: round, triangles, little dog bones. Most days Maggie will only eat the round ones. Given a round one and another shape, she will pick the round ones out! :conf12:

You gotta love 'em! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Christal, so far none of those behaviors sound odd to me. Jersey spends a lot of time in the car and thankfully she doesn't get car sick. She does love to be outside as much as possible. Oh, and Joe, I love it when Jersey does that with her bones. It's so funny to watch her. Does Vinny go and hide the bone somewhere else if he thinks that you've seen his "hiding" spot?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Oh my god, Jen and Joe, I'm not the only one with a high imaginative beagle.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif .
This is exactly what Chloe is doing.... and it's one of the funniest things I've ever seen... so adorable :rotflmao:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by BoulderBeagles:
They march to the tune of a different drummer.

I think mine have skipped the drummer entirely and are union card carrying Kazoo band members.

Isn't that the truth! But, they do make life much more fun and interesting. Is there a spot in the Kazoo band for Jersey? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Jen,
Vinny will bury the treat, then immediately eat it.

However, Bama, our sons Beag, is the true "wierdo". He is the whinner and Vinny knows it. Vince lets Bama do his thing with the treat. Then Vinny will go get it and eat it. Bama usually is stunned this happens. Once he pops back to reality, he usually seeks revenge on my poor Vinny. :biglaugh:

I swear, it is the funniest thing to watch because they are so predictable. I guess instinct trumps common sense.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't think any of these are weird!!

1. Car Sick - Ginger (every single time!!!)

2. Blow dryer - Bailey is scared to death of it but will hang head out window of car if you let her!

3. Ginger - outside whenever possible. Bailey - inside whenever possible.

4. Bailey will bay at everything .... Ginger will only bay if it's really exciting, like a squirrel, cat or deer!

5. Ginger - snuggle. Bailey - not so much.

6. Ginger - HUGE sniffer! Starts sneezing and coughing. (actually took her to vet because she even sounded congested .... think she had allergies).

So, no, none of these are weird at all ..... typical beagle traits! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
134 Posts
Oh I love this group!!! My Beagle is NORMAL !!! HOOORAY!!!

1. Car sick- no, but he hasn't been in the car too much, only when he went to puppy preschool/vaccs. He'd have a good howl though!!
For carsickness you can put a few drops of peppermint oil in the car or give him a ginger tablet before you go. That can help.

2. blow dryer- haven't tried that....

3. Snoopy loves outside!! but he runs in and out the doggy door all day.

4. bay- yep he bays at his own reflection in the window...

5. snuggle- he loves a cuddle but is Oh so enthusiastic about it that it's not a relaxed snuggle and we usually end up headbutting each other by accident.

6. Definitely sniffs...especially the 2 year olds stinky nappy bottom /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Olfactory delight for a beagle I'm sure!!

As well as that he does the Peanuts Snoopy's dinner dance.
He manipulates the high chair so he can climb up it and get onto the kitchen counter to steal the chickens vegie scraps.
and he like to sit on our dining room and outdoor table acting like he owns the place....which he probalbly does!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts