Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beagle's favorite toys are the stuffed animals. However, he chews every stuffed animal to shreds! I went to PetSmart today and the manager suggested I buy the brand "Toy Shoppe Durables." He told me that not even a pit bull and rottweiler can tear them up. Well, I bought it and within 5 minutes of giving it to my dog, he tore it all up. I've also tried the non-stuffed animals and he tears them up too. I want to give him other play toys besides his bones, but I cannot find anything that he doesn't rip to shreds!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Charlee's mom

·
Registered
148 Posts
Austin also has a tendency to destroy stuffies, and they are the only toys he likes to play with. We have found that a combination of some strict training (You chew the toy, we take it away, reapeatedly over months) and Kong brand's stuffies seems to have worked for him.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Lucy has destroyed more toys than I am willing to admit to buying. She seems to think that as soon as she has a toy she has to remove and eat the squeeker. I learned to buy her cheap toys and to watch her. As soon as she has a hole in the toy (doesn't take long), I take the squeeker out. She will pull out the stuffing (doesn't eat that thankfully!) but then loses interest in the toy. We have tried all kinds of toys but she won't touch them unless they are stuffed. She is older now and not quite as bad.

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
My pup managed to destroy 2 beds, one within hours of purchase which looked very durable when I picked it out. One of the best toys I use is an empty plastic Pelligrino bottle-be sure to remove the loose ring around the neck-she chews it like heck, it makes a lot of crunching noise but doesn't shred-she crushes the plastic bottle and carries it around-I put kibble in in it-I imagine you can substitue any other plastic beverage bottle... just a suggestion.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all of the advice. Charlee is determined to get the squeeker out too. Thankfully, he too, does not eat the stuffing or squeeker. He just wants to get it out of there! It's like a game for him. Beagles are such funny characters.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My Jack is the same way; destroy the toy and get to the squeaker. Then squeak it in his mouth non stop for 15 -20 minutes. Then he chews it up where it won't squeak anymore, and we're on to the next one. I've thought about going to the thrift store and buying cheap stuffed animals and letting him rip and shred on them. I hate to buy something expensive just to see it destroyed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Luke will chase an empty plastic bottle all over the house. It is loud, but it occupies him for awhile. Also, we have a kids bowling ball he chases around. He will growl and bark at it, as he gets frustrated because it is too big to get in his mouth.

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
My dog liked the plastic bottle too just make sure to cut off the plastic ring around the neck if it has one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My pup managed to destroy 2 beds, one within hours of purchase which looked very durable when I picked it out. One of the best toys I use is an empty plastic Pelligrino bottle-be sure to remove the loose ring around the neck-she chews it like heck, it makes a lot of crunching noise but doesn't shred-she crushes the plastic bottle and carries it around-I put kibble in in it-I imagine you can substitue any other plastic beverage bottle... just a suggestion.
My beagle lives plastic bottles. Now becaise of him i buy more sparkling water. He destryed his bed, 3 towels, ripped my cloths and chew evry single fliplop or sock.. at least bottles are free lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts