Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
just wanted some opinions!
so my boyfriends family have a beagle, who is mostly a lovely dog but has bitten 2 members off the family, has went for a few more, growls at some of the family and doesn’t listen to commands. Therefore he is unpredictable, my daughter is now 7 months, when we go around we are worried about him being close to her, there has been a few occasions where we didn’t like how he was with her a few being -
Barking while her nan was holding her
Trying to jump at her (this only happened once)
Barking in her face while she’s playing on the floor
Getting really close to her face while she’s playing on the floor and not moving when told
We have spoken to my boyfriends family about our fears and have been told to maybe give him a chance but myself personally does not want to risk him being too close. Especially as he doesn’t listen, they also have no doors and no stair gate in place and even if they did, he would start barking and wouldn’t go into another room if told too.
just wanted to know what you would do?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Welcome
I think you are correct to be concerned given the dogs behavior. The dog may not like the attention being given to the child. Definitely dont put the child on the floor with the dog so he thinks he's dominant. I do find it a little odd since ive seen dogs like small children..I'll post those pictures. Put a leash on the dog while around the child so you can grab it. Perhaps leave some child clothing with the dog so he gets accustomed to the scent. Bottom line given what you've described be extremely careful. My beagle was curious but always gentle including the rottweiler.
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Mammal Companion dog
99p9
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Hand Comfort Happy Gesture Finger

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Welcome
I think you are correct to be concerned given the dogs behavior. The dog may not like the attention being given to the child. Definitely dont put the child on the floor with the dog so he thinks he's dominant. I do find it a little odd since ive seen dogs like small children..I'll post those pictures. Put a leash on the dog while around the child so you can grab it. Perhaps leave some child clothing with the dog so he gets accustomed to the scent. Bottom line given what you've described be extremely careful. My beagle was curious but always gentle including the rottweiler. Mop View attachment 42641
View attachment 42640

·
Super Moderator
5,373 Posts
Your child's safety is always the most important thing. It's so hard when the dog owner doesn't consider that the child can get hurt. My "grandog" is good with the grandkids but we can also see when his patience is running out. Be sure to teach your daughter to be safe by the dog too, especially when she is crawling and walking. No tail grabbing/holding, trying to kiss him etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome
I think you are correct to be concerned given the dogs behavior. The dog may not like the attention being given to the child. Definitely dont put the child on the floor with the dog so he thinks he's dominant. I do find it a little odd since ive seen dogs like small children..I'll post those pictures. Put a leash on the dog while around the child so you can grab it. Perhaps leave some child clothing with the dog so he gets accustomed to the scent. Bottom line given what you've described be extremely careful. My beagle was curious but always gentle including the rottweiler. View attachment 42641 99p9
View attachment 42640
Thank you for your reply, your baby is gorgeous. I would love them to be that close as I want her to love dogs but in the back of my mind I know he has been aggressive randomly towards people and he doesn’t listen, glad to know I’m not being too mean, I’ll definitely keep them separate while they are on the floor from now on

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your child's safety is always the most important thing. It's so hard when the dog owner doesn't consider that the child can get hurt. My "grandog" is good with the grandkids but we can also see when his patience is running out. Be sure to teach your daughter to be safe by the dog too, especially when she is crawling and walking. No tail grabbing/holding, trying to kiss him etc.
Thank you for your reply, it is definitely hard as the owner does not see an issue and is now extremely unhappy with us for even mentioning that we want to talk about putting things in place to protect my daughter, I will do thank you

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Perhaps when visiting bring one of those pop up playpens to put your child in to be separated from the dog..
I have considered this and think it’s a good idea but I’m due to go back to work soon and my partners mom is having my daughter for 1 day a week and she doesn’t see my reasoning for not wanting him too close to her as when I brought my fears up she stated that she was unhappy and haven’t spoken to us since unfortunately. so I’m concerned that she will continue to let him go up to her and having them on the floor together

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow thats unfortunate they dont understand your concerns. What will you do?
I’m not sure, she also doesn’t want to look after Amelia at our home because she wants to be able to do her washing she says. It’s a hard one because she’s clearly got an issue so I’m not sure I would trust Amelia there even if she says she will do what we suggest. Unfortunately they have argued with my partner and now ignoring him and not willing to talk. So it may just mean we put our daughter in nursery instead

·
Registered
170 Posts
I’m not sure, she also doesn’t want to look after Amelia at our home because she wants to be able to do her washing she says. It’s a hard one because she’s clearly got an issue so I’m not sure I would trust Amelia there even if she says she will do what we suggest. Unfortunately they have argued with my partner and now ignoring him and not willing to talk. So it may just mean we put our daughter in nursery instead
I'll chime in and comment too - I would definitely not leave my child with a dog that has a history of being aggressive or even ill-mannered around others. I would be stressed out as a Mom knowing the child was with your boyfriend's mother who doesn't seem to understand that all animals can be unpredictable. Even though beagles are typically fine with small ones, the individual dog's temperament has to be considered. Just an example, my son has a small Yorkie. He has never so much as given a snarl toward anyone; is well trained, good house manners. My cousin was visiting (from out of town) and he was fine, she even played with him. She stood up to go to the restroom and out of nowhere he ran toward her and bit her ankle (didn't draw blood, thank goodness), she is an adult, but still it is unacceptable behavior. He was crated for the rest of her visit upstairs in my son's room. When guests come over now, we do not give him an opportunity to greet off leash and it is always from afar. You are not wrong in being concerned about your child's welfare!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts