Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over a year ago, I adopted a beagle who had been abandoned on our [dirt] road. I'd never had a beagle before--only german shepherds--and turns out I'm really not a beagle person. He's a sweet and loving and gentle, but it just wasn't working out for us. About a month ago I rehomed him with my uncle, who has one beagle and was wanting another. He loves beagles. Problem solved.

Except that the beagle keeps returning to us. Our land and my uncle's land joins through about 200 acres of woods. He likes to let his dogs run free on the land, which has never been a problem for anyone. Until now.

So far, we've been trying to keep it low-key and just taking the beagle back to his new home. He does seem very pleased when we arrive there--jumps out of the car, greets my uncle joyfully and runs around happily. But a day or two later he's over here again.

Will he get the message if we just continue to take him back to his new home? Is there something we can do to teach him that this is not his home-away-from-home? Does my uncle need to tether him for a while--put him on a run line? Do we need to run him off when he comes back here? I gave my uncle lots of treats and recommended he give his new beagle a treat every time he walked outside... but he promptly lost the treats.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
In my opinion the beagle will keep going where it wants...obviously it was loose when you found him. I dont recommend a run lead. It would be better in some good sized fenced in area..i created a large penned in area in my yard by purchasing folding fencing from Petco. I ordered them on line for delivery..i bought enough to make a large area. I attached several 4 foot fencing together and my dog serms satisfied with the amount of area. I think the dog is going to keep running away unless penned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
... It would be better in some good sized fenced in area..I think the dog is going to keep running away unless penned.
Hmm. I tend to agree with you; I have a fenced area for my dogs. But my uncle, though active and healthy, is 82 and fairly set in his ways. He’s not about to make a fenced area for his dogs. We may have to rehome yet again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I haven't. That's a good idea. We asked around and advertised on facebook, but no one seemed to know anything. I've had him to the vet to get shots, of course, and told them he was a stray; they didn't suggest looking for a microchip either.There were 3 or 4 beagles dropped off on our dirt road about the time he was found; the others were hit by cars. I just assumed some local rabbit hunter had gotten rid of the ones that were good pets but were poor hunters. (It's happened before and we happened to know that owner and returned the beagle to them--they were annoyed that it was returned. :rolleyes: )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts