Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like i said before i have a 9week old beagle puppy. She is the cutest thing ever. During the day both my wife and I work. we are gone from 8-5 during the day. I know this is not good for puppy but its something i cannot control. We put her in the kitchen with her bed a couple of our shirts and plenty of toys, as well as puting on the radio. When we come home she will have pooped 2 times and went pee 2 times. Is this normal at this age. Will she grow out of this and be able to hold it longer. I dont want to crate her for that long during the day so i figured give her some room in the kitchen and her bed. We do NOT crate her at night she sleeps with us and sleeps well from about 11pm - 6am, but when she gets up shes gotta go!!! Are we doing anything wrong. I really do not want to crate her for that long. I love her being in my bed so thats not a problem, as well as my wife too.

Eric

·
Registered
519 Posts
its normal, they can't hold it that long at that age. It'll take time for her to wait to go till you get home, but she'll eventually get the hang of it.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
How is she at weekends? Does she go outside then to pee etc? It is not surprising that she cant hold out for so long during the day, but I agree it should get better with time. Could you find someone to go in and let her out at lunchtime?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She does very good on the weekends. She is starting to go to the door to go out and peepee. She also is starting to get the hint of "no Bites" I thinks she is coming along well for being 9 weeks old TODAY!!!

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Welcome Eric! You are off to a great start with your beag! :thumbup: Pop & I have rescued a few adult beags in our time...but I am the only one with actual "puppy experience". Goober & Homer were tiny puppies when I took them in,(well Goober was purchased from a breeder but Homer was adopted as a small puppy). Both were housebroken with very little effort as your pup, beagles are very smart to the point that when they are older they will teach the younger one how to behave. Goober gets most of the credit for housebreaking Homer as he taught him how to use the dog door & led/coaxed him outside to "potty"! If you missed my "fishing post", neither of them peed in the boat after several hours of fishing until they made landfall! Btw, Goober is over 15 yrs old & has been a "mentor" to Pop's younger beags... Rufus & Nibbler as well! (Raise one right,& that beag will do most of the "work" for you!) :thumbup: Erik/ Erik the red or "red for short"! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:Originally posted by NORTHWEST *******:
Welcome Eric! You are off to a great start with your beag! :thumbup: Pop & I have rescued a few adult beags in our time...but I am the only one with actual "puppy experience". Goober & Homer were tiny puppies when I took them in,(well Goober was purchased from a breeder but Homer was adopted as a small puppy). Both were housebroken with very little effort as your pup, beagles are very smart to the point that when they are older they will teach the younger one how to behave. Goober gets most of the credit for housebreaking Homer as he taught him how to use the dog door & led/coaxed him outside to "potty"! If you missed my "fishing post", neither of them peed in the boat after several hours of fishing until they made landfall! Btw, Goober is over 15 yrs old & has been a "mentor" to Pop's younger beags... Rufus & Nibbler as well! (Raise one right,& that beag will do most of the "work" for you!) :thumbup: Erik/ Erik the red or "red for short"! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif
Thanks for your words. I really thing she is starting to learn a little. Its nice knowing that others are in your "situation" as well. I really dont think everyone is ready for a puppy until they get one. She has been a TON of work but its worth it in the end hopefully. Shes a great dog and you cant beat how cute they are and affectionate they are. Now she has to start working on "holding" it.

Eric

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Welcome Eric!! I understand not wanting to crate your babe--when I got Shiloh I resisted crating her for a long time because I had 2 other dogs at the time and it didn't seem fair to pen her up while the other 2 had the run of the house. Finally I broke down and got a crate, and potty training went lots quicker. But it's an individual decision--you can confine her to the kitchen (which was not something I could do) so that's probably fine. A 9 week old puppy is not gonna be able to hold it all day. Your little girl sounds normal. Is there any way you or your wife could some home during the day and let her run around outside for a few minutes? Or a neighbor? That would give her a chance to do some of her pottying outside. She will get better as she matures and her bladder gets bigger. Have fun with your baby!

·
Registered
308 Posts
A new puppy! Crating does work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We can not go home during lunch its too far. I just cant bring myself to crate her. She loves sleeping with us and Im not going to keep her kept in a cage all day.

Eric

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Eric,

I understand your hesitation at crating your baby but giving her the ability to eliminate in the house is teaching her that it is ok to do so and this can come back to haunt you. I tried it with Sammy as a baby and it took longer that it should have until she was completely housebroken.

Have you ever considered a pet sitter or dog walker to stop by and let her out during the day when you are gone? Check with your vet ... they usually have people the recommend and sometimes the vet techs do this for extra money.....

just a thought

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:Originally posted by Sammy's Mom:
Eric,

I understand your hesitation at crating your baby but giving her the ability to eliminate in the house is teaching her that it is ok to do so and this can come back to haunt you. I tried it with Sammy as a baby and it took longer that it should have until she was completely housebroken.

Have you ever considered a pet sitter or dog walker to stop by and let her out during the day when you are gone? Check with your vet ... they usually have people the recommend and sometimes the vet techs do this for extra money.....

just a thought
There is a guy in our development that will do this. Hes retired. Is this a good solution other than crating her?

Eric

·
Registered
291 Posts
You should definitely have the guy take her out, and spend a little time with her during the day. It's not going to eliminate your problem of her going in the house if you don't crate her, but very young puppies get lonely very quickly. It would be great if she could get some attention during the day.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I think its a great solution. My dad came twice a day to let Maggie out until she was about 6 months and then he came once a day until my husband retired. It was great for Maggie and for my dad and I didn't feel so guilty about leaving her all day.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Eric:
Quote:Originally posted by Sammy's Mom:
Eric,

just a thought
There is a guy in our development that will do this. Hes retired. Is this a good solution other than crating her?

Eric
That would be a great alternative ... my vet gives a general rule of thumb for how long puppies should be able to hold their bladder... the number of months old they are plus one so right now at just over 2 months 3 hours is a reasonable expectation. You might want to have him stop by 2 times a day for the first month or so ..... if you decide not to crate it is especially important to make sure that there is nothing dangerous the your baby can get into where you have her during the day.....

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Eric,

I have nothing to add to the advice above...mine were all adult rescues.

But...I just wanted to commend you for loving your little puppy as much as you do and for being such a concerned and caring parent. It's such a pleasure to read about caring people when the news is covered with sad stories.

"Thank you, Daddy" from Your Little Beagle Girl. :angel:

·
Registered
146 Posts
It would be extremely cruel to crate a puppy at this age for that long. Crate training is supposed to teach a dog to hold it longer, but if the puppy is physically incapable of holding it that long they have no choice but to go in the crate. Instead, put a pee pad at one end of the play area and her crate at the other end. Start teaching her to pee and poo on the pee pads and then she can use her crate for sleeping and it will give her a den so she can feel safe. The general rule of how long a dog can hold it is 1 hour +1 for how many months old a puppy is. So a 1 month old puppy can hold it for 2 hours.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:Originally posted by we3beagles:
It would be extremely cruel to crate a puppy at this age for that long. Crate training is supposed to teach a dog to hold it longer, but if the puppy is physically incapable of holding it that long they have no choice but to go in the crate. Instead, put a pee pad at one end of the play area and her crate at the other end. Start teaching her to pee and poo on the pee pads and then she can use her crate for sleeping and it will give her a den so she can feel safe. The general rule of how long a dog can hold it is 1 hour +1 for how many months old a puppy is. So a 1 month old puppy can hold it for 2 hours.
Awesome advice from everyone. Im going to contact the retired guy and see if he can let her out during the day at least once.

Eric

·
Registered
519 Posts
regarding the pee pee pads, I've never used them but my parents used them to train their puppy. They worked very well for them. They loved the pee pee pads :thumbup:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Wee Wee pads are awsome!!! They work like a charm, and it's easier to clean. Chloe is still not completely housebroken yet, the vet instructed not to let her out until she finishes her vaccinations. But instinctively when she needs to go, she goes directly to the pad, ever since I got her.... so that was cool. The only thing is that if there are more than 2-3 spots of pee on it, she won't go on it and poo or pee right next to it.... the princess... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

1 - 19 of 19 Posts