Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got a 9 week old beagle puppy. She is the most adorable thing ever. We got her when she was 7 weeks old. We have a routine, puppy gets up at 6:15 every morning and wants to be fed and potty after going to bed at 11:00pm. Is this normal, and or will puppy sleep longer when she gets older. She is wearing us both down. She has to be watched 24/7. We love her so much and she is doing okay going potty. She will pee outside but then she will come inside and pee two dribbles. Like she gets excited. My parents had 2 beagles before but never knew how much work they really are. How many weeks or months before puppy calms down? She bites a lot and we tell her no bites and if she really hurts us we grab her muzzle and she lets go. Is this all normal and will it get better?

Eric

·
Registered
519 Posts
I love puppies! puppy work on the other hand, I'm not so sure /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I know what you mean by keeping an eye on them 24/7. As your pup gets older she will behave a little better, all depends on your training her and disciplining her. You're her pack leader, make sure she knows this.
Start training early. It might seem like she's learning slow but she'll soak it all in.
Its kind of like having a baby.

After a few months she'll start settling down a little bit. Then after maybe 18 months, she'll start maturing.

Just be sure to be patient, enjoy, and have fun!

keep us updated :thumbup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:Originally posted by rjdmtb:
I love puppies! puppy work on the other hand, I'm not so sure /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I know what you mean by keeping an eye on them 24/7. As your pup gets older she will behave a little better, all depends on your training her and disciplining her. You're her pack leader, make sure she knows this.
Start training early. It might seem like she's learning slow but she'll soak it all in.
Its kind of like having a baby.

After a few months she'll start settling down a little bit. Then after maybe 18 months, she'll start maturing.

Just be sure to be patient, enjoy, and have fun!

keep us updated :thumbup:
Oh i will keep you updated. Its so hard to keep patience too. Shes so freakin cute but she needs to be watched 24/7 and i feel bad if i have to leave her alone at all. Shes my baby and i love her more than anything. We both really love her but it seems like she just isnt learning anything. I guess it is a slow process. My wife and I are so tired though :smack: HOPEFULLY she gets better. We got her when she was 7 weeks old and now she is 9 weeks old. I think she is getting better but not sure...

·
Registered
519 Posts
yeah, be patient and consistent . She's still really young so expect a lot of errors and her just being a stubborn puppy.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Hang in there Eric, it does get better. Beagles are smart. It is good that you are trying to get her into a routine. They are also hard work. Our second Beagle pup and current resident, Vinny, cried the first three days we had him and would only be quiet when my wife was holding him.

I would strongly encourage you to crate train your Beagle, while she is still adjusting. It will save you much grieve in the future. If your pup is sleeping from 11p-6am, be thankful. Neither of ours ever did that.

A good resource I have used, is a book by Diane Morgan, called "the Beagle". It has many puppy training tips in it.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie is just over a year and still gets up at 6 every day no matter how late I keep her up, however I have found that on the weekends if I let her run outside for a while, bring her in and give her some attention and maybe play with her toys and give her breakfast, she will get up on the couch with me and go back to sleep. The signal for going back to sleep is to get her bone and a blanket. She jumps right up and settles in. I get a cup of coffee and a book and have a few quiet hours. If I am too busy to sit she will go back to sleep in her crate but I enjoy the cuddles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:Originally posted by Joe and Vinny:
Hang in there Eric, it does get better. Beagles are smart. It is good that you are trying to get her into a routine. They are also hard work. Our second Beagle pup and current resident, Vinny, cried the first three days we had him and would only be quiet when my wife was holding him.

I would strongly encourage you to crate train your Beagle, while she is still adjusting. It will save you much grieve in the future. If your pup is sleeping from 11p-6am, be thankful. Neither of ours ever did that.

A good resource I have used, is a book by Diane Morgan, called "the Beagle". It has many puppy training tips in it.
I cant crate my puppy. I am to much of a softy. I know it sounds bad, but my parents never crated there puppies and they turned out to be 2 of the best dogs i known. We put her in the kitched during the day with a gate blocking other parts of the house. We have the radio on and open the blinds of the sliding glass door. At night she sleeps with us in the bed. Shes so comfy to sleep with :angel: Shes just a ton of work and i hope she gets better.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
519 Posts
I too encourage crate training.
It might seem "bad" at first, but they actually learn to love it. Like there own little room. Oliver sometimes will go in his and lay down and take a nap.

I too have "The Beagle" book, its a good book. I also like Ceasar Milans book, not much on puppy training but overall how to act around your pet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:Originally posted by rjdmtb:
I too encourage crate training.
It might seem "bad" at first, but they actually learn to love it. Like there own little room. Oliver sometimes will go in his and lay down and take a nap.

I too have "The Beagle" book, its a good book. I also like Ceasar Milans book, not much on puppy training but overall how to act around your pet.
I know its a good thing the crate and all but I wouldnt be able to do it. I guess we will have to let her grow up some ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts