Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a little problem with my fur baby that I thoughts maybe you could help me with.

We got out little baby girl beagle Gerri a month ago, she is now 4 months old, she has a nice cozy crate and a playpen, we stick (or try to) a schedule so that she has the same nap times every day, and we walk her for about 10-15min three times a day (thats total time, she doesn't always walk, but sniffs a lot). The problem we are facing is she never calms down by herself, when nap time is coming up and I can tell she's tired, she just does not go to sleep by herself. It always involves first cuddling her, or holding her for her to calm down - during which she tries go nip and bite pretty hard, whines, wriggles, etc. If put in a crate right away she just barks and howls. It gets worse later in the day, as she grows more tired. She naps about 1,5-2 hrs 3-4 times a day, sleeps well through the night except one potty break, but even after the potty break I have to calm her down again or else she just digs at her bed and whines. All in total she sleeps about 15-16hrs a day. She refuses to sleep more, she barks and whines if she wakes up earlier than she's supposed to...

Is this normal? Is she maybe overstimulated? Does she maybe not sleep enough?
I am really at a loss, it's been a month and it's not getting any better. My arms and hands are all scratched and bitten from trying to cuddle her to calm down. Any advice is appreciated.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Sasha & Gerri

· Super Moderator
5,400 Posts
She could be like a human baby, knowing that if she cries/barks you will come to her. Younger dogs usually play hard and nap hard. I even have a 14 year old beagle that knows if he keeps going to cookie jar instead of going to bed, that he will get another cookie.

· Registered
6,535 Posts
I would recommend reading about puppies to find out about behavior. Your do is young and dont be shocked when the biting and nipping starts soon..its not aggression but passes with properly dealing w it. Beagles dont calm down until about 3 years old.
Do a word search on this site for words like..
Biting
Nipping
Potty training
Clicker training
Food
Leash
Etc.
I have prevoously posted lots on these topics so do a search

· Registered
Dodger
54 Posts
Well I would recommend longer walks then 10-15 minutes, I walk Dodge miles, in a daily routine, he and I have had sense he was 10 weeks old, beagles require a lot of exercise, SOME want the exercise so your little one might not want naps she might want playtime, Dodger has toys just for outside playtime, 15 minutes of rough tough playtime. He never every had “naps” honestly the only time I ever held down Dodger was when, and still gets them zoomies, when they run run run all over the house non stop, vroom vroom those are the zoomies beagles and some other breeds get them zoomies I have to grab Dodger and hug him till he calms down, but that’s it, today we sit on benches and people watch..lol. I would skip naps, she needs to have a reason to be tIred. I have lots of different kids of walk ideas for ya if you’re interested. Good luck.

· Registered
2 Posts
My beagle also had this kind of issue. We always cuddle her before sleeping and she got used to it that if we don't do it she will have tantrums and barks. One time she was very active and overexerted herself and had torn ACL and I had to do my research and found this site. You can also try reading about dog behaviors just to be sure and you can learn more about what's happening.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts