Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
The puppy is adorable. 1.6kg (3.5lbs) for an 8 week old is low weight. My dog was 5lbs at 8wks.
Does the community offer any paperwork on the dog?..health exam record?
Does the dog have a white tipped tail? Sign of a true beagle. I wouldnt be convinced its a pure beagle unless you get it from a breeder. If that doesn't matter to you then ok. Take the dog to a vet for an exam right away..and see if you can return the dog if something is wrong.
Let us know what you decide

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
If you're not hung up on getting a purebred then the dog certainly looks mostly beagle. And for sure cute. Like Molly said probably younger than 8 weeks or it could be a smaller dog. Puppy food and get NutriCal gel in a tube to add electrolytes..scrape a tiny amount behind the lower teeth and the dog will swallow it..do it for 6-8 weeks.
Ahhhhh..what the heck..go for it...lol
Are you up for mischief and an abundance of cuteness?

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Ooooh how adorable!!
Ever have a puppy before?
Here's some advice:
Crate train..my dog is now 10yrs old and luuvs her crate.
Keep in a restricted area until fully potty trained..about 10 months.
Feed puppy-variety food.
Secure a yard..they are not off-leash dogs..they will escape given the chance.
Start giving commands...Sit, Stay..etc.talk to your dog with his name so he starts listening.
Read up on puppy biting/nipping..it starts at about 3 months and lasts for several more.
Stay on the forum for advice. What is your dog's name?

Here is cassie in her appartment..aka crate..
Dog Comfort Dog supply Pet supply Carnivore

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Hi again
I recommend reading all you can on puppy behavior so you're ready. At about 3 months your cute-face puppy will start biting and nipping you..they all do and it lasts about 4 months. Its not aggression..its what they do.
Biting advice:
Dont play tug of war games..it makes them more bitey. Give periodic naps in the crate. Wear shoes or your toes make a good chew toy..heehee. say NO BITING and give a chew toy.

As for off-leash..beagles are scent dogs so they will run after anything they think they can hunt..so they run...run..run.. and they act deaf when you call. Its a risk to let them off leash unless you have a secure yard. Labradors are great for being off leash..beagles not so much.
Get a CLICKER..its a cheap great training tool in a petstore or on line. Watch YouTube videos on how to use one.
Keep your dog in a restricted area in your house to avoid potty everywhere and mischief..like chewing.
Talk to your dog alot so it starts listening to you. My dog can respond to my hand signals now.
Ive had Cassie since 8wks..she's now 10yrs old..
Here's a couple pictures . Then and now..
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Snout

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Comfort
io

1 - 7 of 7 Posts