Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all looking for some advice,

I went to view a begale puppy yesterday and was curious about it's size and weight.

The documents from the health check showed it weighed 1.6kg at 8 weeks old. This seems quite a bit lower than the average reported online for a beagle

My question: does anyone feel this is still in normal range or is there a chance the seller is lying and she could be crossbreed?

For context the site is from what appears to be a travelling community and I have heard mixed views buying from these places.

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Comfort Toy

Any advice would be great!

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
The puppy is adorable. 1.6kg (3.5lbs) for an 8 week old is low weight. My dog was 5lbs at 8wks.
Does the community offer any paperwork on the dog?..health exam record?
Does the dog have a white tipped tail? Sign of a true beagle. I wouldnt be convinced its a pure beagle unless you get it from a breeder. If that doesn't matter to you then ok. Take the dog to a vet for an exam right away..and see if you can return the dog if something is wrong.
Let us know what you decide

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Cassie for a response.

They did offer paperwork which was the record of the health check and Vaccination stickers. Along with microchip number.

I also rang the vet to confirm it was genuine certificate which they said it was.

The tail is tipped as shown in this photo, however I'm worried also it may be younger than they declare to try turn around profits quicker.

I guess if it is crossbreed i would want to know what it's bred with so I could make a decision.
Dog Window Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog

·
Super Moderator
5,364 Posts
The pup does look a bit young. I brought my first beagle home when he was 9 weeks old and he was larger. Are the parents on-site for you to see? Both of the pup's parents might be small size beagles. Super cute pup!

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
If you're not hung up on getting a purebred then the dog certainly looks mostly beagle. And for sure cute. Like Molly said probably younger than 8 weeks or it could be a smaller dog. Puppy food and get NutriCal gel in a tube to add electrolytes..scrape a tiny amount behind the lower teeth and the dog will swallow it..do it for 6-8 weeks.
Ahhhhh..what the heck..go for it...lol
Are you up for mischief and an abundance of cuteness?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Agree it's low for 8 weeks, UK standards of The Kennel Club (British kennel club) are bit different from US. I hate being pessimistic, but certifications are easy to fake. Vets recommend a pup not be separated from the mom until 8-12 weeks. I'm researching US breeders for my next beagle, I'm appalled at the standards of "backyard" and some hobby breeders. If it is purebred (and you are paying the cost of purebred), your pup should come with a breed certificate and 4 generation pedigree (but records are easy to fake). Even a hobby breeder should keep good parentage and health records.

I have a passion for people not getting "scammed" by breeders who are not reputable because the cost of puppies since the pandemic has sky-rocketed and the cost of treating a sick puppy is huge (from experience).

Your puppy is adorable and as Cassie said, you're not concerned if she isn't full-bred, then just love her to pieces, make sure vet indicates she is healthy and keep a watch on her weight gain and signs for any ill health.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Ooooh how adorable!!
Ever have a puppy before?
Here's some advice:
Crate train..my dog is now 10yrs old and luuvs her crate.
Keep in a restricted area until fully potty trained..about 10 months.
Feed puppy-variety food.
Secure a yard..they are not off-leash dogs..they will escape given the chance.
Start giving commands...Sit, Stay..etc.talk to your dog with his name so he starts listening.
Read up on puppy biting/nipping..it starts at about 3 months and lasts for several more.
Stay on the forum for advice. What is your dog's name?

Here is cassie in her appartment..aka crate..
Dog Comfort Dog supply Pet supply Carnivore

·
Registered
157 Posts
Awe, who can't resist those puppy eyes!! Cassie gives great advice! My Ally loved her crate, too. Looked just like Cassie's. Ally was a slow trainer on the typical puppy commands. Is this your first beagle? I've had a lot of dogs, but Ally convinced me beagles are the best!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry eveyone been a busy few days with the pup, thanks for all the advice and nice comments 😊

Cassie looks adorable, how old is she now?

Yes this is my first puppy, absolutely in love with her

Unbelievablely she goes straight into her create or my lap when she's tired and also sleept through the first 2 full nights in her create!

She seems to be such a quick learner, it has taken me 5 attempts and she has already learnt the 'sit command' 🙌. (Be continuing this to make sure it engrains in her memory)

Potty training is proving more difficult but its only 2 days so I'm not expecting this for at least 6months if not more!

As for off lead, I only take her out on to the grass as shes too small to walk but soon as I shout her name she comes running back to me. Hopefully she will continue this is I'd like to have her off lead when visiting beaches.

Here ls another photo to update you all with
Dog Furniture Comfort Dog breed Couch

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Hi again
I recommend reading all you can on puppy behavior so you're ready. At about 3 months your cute-face puppy will start biting and nipping you..they all do and it lasts about 4 months. Its not aggression..its what they do.
Biting advice:
Dont play tug of war games..it makes them more bitey. Give periodic naps in the crate. Wear shoes or your toes make a good chew toy..heehee. say NO BITING and give a chew toy.

As for off-leash..beagles are scent dogs so they will run after anything they think they can hunt..so they run...run..run.. and they act deaf when you call. Its a risk to let them off leash unless you have a secure yard. Labradors are great for being off leash..beagles not so much.
Get a CLICKER..its a cheap great training tool in a petstore or on line. Watch YouTube videos on how to use one.
Keep your dog in a restricted area in your house to avoid potty everywhere and mischief..like chewing.
Talk to your dog alot so it starts listening to you. My dog can respond to my hand signals now.
Ive had Cassie since 8wks..she's now 10yrs old..
Here's a couple pictures . Then and now..
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Snout

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Comfort
io

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yes, be careful off leash! Ally was deaf to all sounds once the nose was to the ground. I never let her off leash in the backyard (no fence) and especially in unfamiliar places. We had a county farm/park across from where we lived, with lots of animals, horses, walking trails and a dog park, very convenient. We didn't have a good experience at the dog park (big dogs, oblivious owners) but no one was there around 5 pm, so that's when we went. Still, she didn't care for running if there was a scent to sniff. We tried fetch, I was the one always fetching, lol, at least it was good exercise.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
The saying in our house is 'nose on, ears off'. They often are better about following you/coming back as puppies when they're less independent.

But learning sit after 5 tries! What a smart girl!

And man but she's cute!

Reactions: allymcbeagle

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry eveyone been a busy few days with the pup, thanks for all the advice and nice comments 😊

Cassie looks adorable, how old is she now?

Yes this is my first puppy, absolutely in love with her

Unbelievablely she goes straight into her create or my lap when she's tired and also sleept through the first 2 full nights in her create!

She seems to be such a quick learner, it has taken me 5 attempts and she has already learnt the 'sit command' 🙌. (Be continuing this to make sure it engrains in her memory)

Potty training is proving more difficult but its only 2 days so I'm not expecting this for at least 6months if not more!

As for off lead, I only take her out on to the grass as shes too small to walk but soon as I shout her name she comes running back to me. Hopefully she will continue this is I'd like to have her off lead when visiting beaches.

Here ls another photo to update you all with
View attachment 42607
Wicked cute beagle!
They’re little buggers to train, but once you break through it’s just awesome, you’ll have a little shadow for life!
My boy loves going off lead and we do it at the local oval and beach, so definitely something to look forward to!😀
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Beach Fawn

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Amazing, your beagle looks amazing!

I think I've got fairly lucky with training as she managed to learn new tricks after a couple of sessions.
Recently taught her to Heel and it took her 20mins to get it nailed down.

Additionally after being warned about letting begales off lead we practised her recall every day in a field and now she comes every time no questions (probably because i always carry treats), so I now only walk her on a lead when near roads or when approaching unfamiliar dogs.
Dog Water Sky Beach Carnivore

1 - 19 of 19 Posts