Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm a first time beagle owner of a 5 1/2 month old puppy. I have had her since she was 12 weeks old. I haven't had a dog, or a puppy, for over 20 years so my memory of puppy training is rusty. But from what I remember it wasn't this hard. (Then again I was 20 years younger!) I've read through many of these posts and have tried some tips, but they don't fully fix the main issues I'm having with my puppy.

One of the most frustrating issues is she had severe separation anxiety when I leave the house. She has a very high-pitched bark, which I understand is normal for beagles. But she can bark and whine for over an hour nonstop. I met with a dog trainer who also noted that her bark was more intense than other beagles she's trained. I was told to remove the water. Try a spray bottle when puppy gets stuck on a barking loop. But to never acknowledge her because she'll think that barking gets results. I did those things. But after the trainer experienced the puppy's barking firsthand, she told me to try putting her in a different space.Right now I have her in a hallway with a puppy pad, food and water, her crate, and most of her toys. She can see me most of the time. I thought it's better if she can avoid seeing me so often. I'll soon have to go back to work and will be out of the house more often. FYI--I put her in doggie daycare at least a couple times a week. She sleeps in the day mostly but gets rowdier at night.

My second most frustrating issue is her potty habits. She seems to know "go potty" means go poop and pee. But she gets forgetful, distracted, or stubborn from time to time. I have only had 1 day in the past 2 months where she went to the bathroom outside only. This seems to be an extraordinarily long time. I feel like I get up and take her out every 2 hours when she ends up doing nothing most of those times. I have a pretty stressful job with a lot of deadlines and since having the puppy, I feel like I'm more swamped and behind than ever. She has peed in the crate many times. She can have just been taken outside and gone potty to come back in, run 1 lap in the house and go to pee on a puppy pad. Go figure. Because of this, I get up to take her out every time she wakes up, she eats or drinks, or plays. AND she often will do one and not the other, especially at night. This means I go out every 10-20 minutes to make sure she has gone to the bathroom. This is too excessive for my lifestyle, especially long-term.

I don't want her to sense my frustration, though I'm sure she does. There are some sweet moments. She gets along well with other people and dogs. I can see her being a great dog in a year or two. But right now, I'm more frustrated than I am excited to see her. Everything feels like a chore.

I'm sure some will say, "then why get a dog?" I've always been a great dog auntie and loved dogs. I've mostly been around slightly less active dogs. I had an opportunity to get a puppy, but always thought I'd get an older mutt from the pound. The puppy does usual puppy things--not fully potty trained, ignore commands, jump on things, bite a lot, etc. While I'm not crazy about those things, I can deal with them. But the barking and seeming to not learn to poop and pee outside are really hard to handle. I want to love her, but haven't formed a strong attachment yet.

My questions to the forum:

*Is this excessive barking the norm for most beagle puppy owners? Will this go away over time or will she always likely bark and whine like she's doing?

*Am I being unrealistic to think she should be potty trained by now? What are ways to get her to recognize the potty is outside only?

*Would you rehome her to a more active family or are these two concerns likely going to pass soon? I want her to have a happy life and if I stand in that way, I'd feel awful.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Hi
I got my dog at 8 weeks. My dog is now 8 1/2 years old now. I experienced the potty, barking, anxiety separation issues same as you. The difference is that I didnt commit to a puppy while I was working, I waited until I retired to give my full attention otherwise I dont know how I would have managed.
My dog was NOT fully potty trained until 10 months despite my full attention to the matter.
Barking yes...it got really bad. My dog trainer was an owner of several beagles. The advice was to use a bark collar.. now most people are opposed to that but only once did my dog get the result of barking and that was it. When outside she wears the bark collar NEVER turned on and just wearing it is all thats needed to keep her quiet.
As for the separation anxiety it's helpful to spend a lot of your attention to continue the dog training, teaching recall, fetch etc. And talk to your dog a lot so your dog knows what you want since they act deaf at times. Doggie day care is great but that doesnt train your dog anything..especially to stop barking since the dogs run around barking all day and the dogs pee and poop wherever and will do the same at home

All that said given the frustrations and lack of bonding you have expressed and the fact that you are going to work I would agree rehoming is probably your best option. Post the area where you live and perhaps someone here would like to step in. Please though dont take to a pound. Ask your vet or trainer if they know someone who would gladly give your dog a loving home.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cute dog! Thank you for response. I don't know if I'll grow to love her to the moon and back, but am just frustrated now. Or if those feelings will never come. I love the dogs in my family. It is helpful to know that your dog wasn't fully house trained until she was 10 months old.I'll look into the bark collar. I definitely won't take my puppy to the pound if I do rehome her. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
One thing you need to know is that a bark collar should NOT be used on a dog BEFORE 6 months old and not inside.
If you still feel frustrated your feeling will probably play into your interactions with the your dog. It is a huge commitment. Beagle Puppyhood takes loads of your patience and consistency. Believe me i shed plenty of tears thinking I made a mistake too but the difference is I wasn't working. A Puppy alone at home that hasnt been trained is a recipe for more issues. Training is not just for the dog its also for you...to learn to repeat the training. Keep the dog in a restricted area so no pee/poop issues in the house or chewing on furniture.
Anyway sounds like youre still not sure so keep us posted on your progress and what you decide . It does take anout 3 years for a beagle puppy beagle to settle down.
My beagle is a real sweetie now and a good girl.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Oh boy! The good thing, there is always a good thing. The good thing is you are asking for help. Here are my thoughts. I too shed tears when mine was a pup. She is my first Beagle and I have never had a dog so, so, so much work. lol It truly was like having a baby in the house. She didn't bark but she did whine when I went out and put her in her kennel at times when I needed to. I had to go out so I just turned on the radio and closed the windows and left. Thankfully I'm in a single family home and she didn't bother the neighbors. Are you putting your dog away while you are home? She will whine if she senses you there. Are you just wanting her safe while you work? Maybe a kitchen area with a baby gate would be better. Or have her on a leash in the house and next to you when you are working. Give her things to chew on. Are you properly exercising her? A tired dog is a good dog. Walks, sniffing and playing in a yard will do wonders for nice house behavior. Are you on a good schedule? Dogs do well with routine. Oh and the puppy pads, ditch them. You are teaching her to go potty in the house with them. Are you taking out potty on a leash?

*Is this excessive barking the norm for most beagle puppy owners? Will this go away over time or will she always likely bark and whine like she's doing? She's learning what's ok and what's not. It will get better.

*Am I being unrealistic to think she should be potty trained by now? What are ways to get her to recognize the potty is outside only? Yes. Take out on a leash and say go potty.

*Would you rehome her to a more active family or are these two concerns likely going to pass soon? I want her to have a happy life and if I stand in that way, I'd feel awful.

That is only a question you can answer. She has learned what you have allowed her to do sending her to a new home she will still have the same issues. I hope you don't give up on her but a person can only make decisions for themselves. To me it sounds like you do have a bond with her and are just discouraged this little animal can cause so much turmoil. I hope you hang in there. Are you working on obedience training with her as well? I hope you hang in there. Here is a picture of my two. Yes I was crazy enough to go get another puppy. My Golden puppy was way easier though than the Beagle ;) Keep us posted!

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
As far as barking
, beagles are pack dogs...does it mean you need another dog, no. My beagle lost her companion lab and we could no longer leave her alone. So I got her another beagle, problem solved. But that is alot of extra work I was willing to do by having 2 dogs. My one beagle potty trained in 5 months, the other 8 months. As long as you see progress. I never do pee pads and outside training, you are sending her a message its OK to do it in house. Our potty training goes before and after: sleep, eating, playing, excitement, and every X amount of hours. They are never allowed free time outside, only on a chain until they get it. Once potty trained they can go out freely. Oh and of course we say "go potty" and if they do they get a cookie. If they don't, back in the house, and we try again in 15 min to half hour. Again on chain, no free time at all until potty trained. They can play in the house of course. All my dogs pee on command. Of course I have to pay them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I decided to keep her...at least for now. The puppy phase is extremely exhausting and frustrating. But I am hoping the rewarding time will soon come. I have put her in doggie daycare, but it is a big expense. I hope I won't have to take her so regularly after the first year. She has seemed to be learning some things. She is also a sweet dog, just a little stubborn and high energy. I never planned to get a puppy and never ever considered a beagle. This has been a learning experience for me. Thanks for the tips and feedback.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
So cute! Im a puppy survivor so I completely understand the frustration but it does get better. You will notice that certain mischief suddenly stops and better behavior replaces it. I thought many times ..what did I do getting this dog! But in time it does get better. Talk to your dog.. use a clicker for training. Its a great cheap training tool. Watch YouTube videos on how to use one.
Here's a picture of the former mischief maker..now a good girl.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts