Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beagle paws-need help please

So my 3 yr old Harley has been limping here off/on the last week or so. Could never find any reason for it, figured maybe they twist their ankles too like we humans do, kept an eye on it. Well, yesterday apparently at some point in time part of his paw pad came off--the part that touches the ground. A chunk of it is missing and it is pink flesh type underneath. It isnt the whole pad (its the main middle one) so I can see why he is limping, but I wanted to know what I should do about it? I doubt the vet could do anything about it, I am guessing it is mainly a
treat the symptoms kind of deal.. but I am just curious if anyone has ever had this happen or heard of it... I am going to do some google searches too.

PS I am a nurse too-so stuff like this doesnt freak me out too much, I know what types of things docs/vets can treat.
THANKS A MILLION
Judi and Harley (who is REALLY limping now)

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Re: Beagle paws-need help please

Poor Harley -- that sounds painful! I'm so used to calling my vet and leaving questions (he calls me back in the evening if not an emergency) that I think I would do the same in this instance. I would expect concern would be if there was any possibility of infection but also it may need to be wrapped to allow for healing.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts

I would take Harley to the vet. It sounds like he would need it bandaged and treated with anti-inflamatory cream or something. The paw is very prone to bacteria as it touches the ground, and you owuldn't want any going into the bloodstream.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts

I think I would probably take Daisy to the vet too if the same thing happened to her just to be safe. Like Eleanor and Judy said, it might need to be wrapped and treated.

·
Registered
120 Posts

I agree with previous posters, I would at least call the vet and ask if he needs to be seen.
Poor little guy
**Hugs & belly Rub Harley**

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts

I would definitely not wait taking Harley to the vet. This same thing happened to one of my previous dogs, a shepherd mix. It was very painful, and also caused her to limp when she walked. We took her to the vet, and it was treated with antibiotic solution and her entire paw was padded and wrapped. We had to take her every few days for antibiotic treatment and dressing change until it healed. The padding and wrapping took some of the direct pressure off of her paw, which allowed her to walk with minimal pain while it healed.

·
Registered
223 Posts

Take a picture of his poor paw! I'm very worried and curious to see exactly what happened. Had he cut his paw? Maybe it was too hot outside and his paw was burnt on the cement/pavement?

Oh my gosh I hope he feels better soon!!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts

Please go to the vet. Our last beagle, Spotty, had a sore paw and at first the vet treated it and bandaged it etc. Alas it didnt heal up and to our horror turned out to be cancer. Spotty already had cancer elsewhere but we never dreamt a sore paw could be cancer as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Well, fleas and ticks live outside, and will want some of that blood, and you'll find giardia and parvo laying about in the grass if I'm not mistaken. At the very least I would get that paw wrapped up so it doesn't step in anything outside (pee, poop, etc) or pick up a nasty infection and see the vet at your earliest convenience.

·
Registered
276 Posts

wanted to see how Harley was doing? Hope he has a speedy recovery

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

I haven't had a problem with Caesar's paws but a few weeks ago our German ShepherdX cut one of her pads at the dog park. Since it was a Saturday we had to go to the Emergency Vet. She doesn't like anyone but me and my husband touching her. They quoted me $400 to sedate her then clean the wound. I said forget it. I took her home cleaned her the wound then wrapped it in the gauze. We kept it wrapped for a few days then let her clean it herself (Caesar helped too). She didn't go on walks either, too many dirty things out there. We check it all the time for signs of infection but it's healing nicely.

How is Harley doing now? I hope he's doing better.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Well it appears it is just part of his paw sloughing off, apparently this is normal. It is already halfway re-grown!! He is having no more pain or limping.... still doesnt want me messing with it too much..
thanks for all your help beagle world!
Judi, Harley, and Betty Boop

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts

Judy!

We just went through this with Yodel. He somehow tore a chunk of the main paw pad off of one of his front paws.

The vet said no surgery to clean and explore because you can not suture a paw pad.

Treatment:

Rimadyl BID for pain and to decrease inflamation
Warm water/Betadyne (color of weak tea) foot soaks BID AT LEAST.
A course of antibiotics...just in case and to prevent onset of bacterial infection.
Keep him off of the foot as often as possible.

After about a week of treatment like this, the wound healed and began to mend. The problem is that he keeps chewing at it and reopening it and that is where we stand. But the paw is much better and the soaks, although tricky, did alot to help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.