Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do Beagles have a peculiar odor? Do some Beagles have it and others don't? Maggie has a odor I've never smelled on a dog before. It isn't a bad odor, just distinctive.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
My previous beagle Molly never had a preculiar odor, and Maggie doesn't either. However, it's been discussed here before, that beagle feet smell like popcorn...and Maggie's do!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
My dogs smell a little like popcorn, a little like Fritos, when they haven't had a bath in a while. I think they're due again. Bathing makes them sharing the bed a bit more tolerable...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I've never noticed a doggy smell too much on Jersey. Sometimes if she's been outside for a while she comes back in a little smelly but it seems to dissipate quickly. Her feet however, do smell like Fritos.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The only smell I have noticed from our dogs comes from their ears, and its not even a potent smell. Even when they haven't had a bath in a while, they don't seem to smell (unless they have found something especially smelly to roll on... then they know a bath is coming. Start the bath tub and you find Floppy under the desk every time.)
But when we do look in their ears and notice a smell, we usually just clean them out.
I never thought to smell their feet though...

·
Registered
287 Posts
I HAVE read that Beagles have a distinctive hound smell, and when Evan and I first got the puppies, they had a very distinctive smell, but it seems to have gone away...or maybe we're just used to it. It wasn't anything bad at all. It was just.....distinctive...lol

·
Registered
472 Posts
Our males feet smell like tortilla chips and I love the smell of beagle ears!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I don't think Maggie has an odor. The only time I notice any smell is when she insists on prowling the backyard in the pouring rain because she got the scent of some animal that was in the yard the night before.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Some hounds do have a distinctive odour that is not found on other breeds. My first dog Lilly had a very houndy smell but Rosa doesn't. Sherry just smells like an old dog bless her.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Caesar has a smell but it isn't bad, I actually like it. I find that after a long day at work I want to go home, give him a big hug and sniff. And yes, his feet smell like Fritos.

·
Registered
205 Posts
ACK. JoJo has a smell. Two days after being groomed and getting pretty (she LOVES her baths), she's back to smelling like a hound. It can be rough sometimes!

And we actually just confiscated her bed for Mission: Wash the Stinky Dog Bed. That was a hoot! She tried to come grab it and drag it back to the living room....
She does smell like a hound...I haven't smelled her feet to see if she smells like snack food, though.
I'll have to try later...if she'll let me get close enough without instigating a zoomie.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Originally Posted By: Caesar's MomCaesar has a smell but it isn't bad, I actually like it. I find that after a long day at work I want to go home, give him a big hug and sniff. And yes, his feet smell like Fritos.
I love the smell of Quinn and Grayson....we're weird. HAHA!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Originally Posted By: Quinn&GraysonI HAVE read that Beagles have a distinctive hound smell, and when Evan and I first got the puppies, they had a very distinctive smell, but it seems to have gone away...or maybe we're just used to it. It wasn't anything bad at all. It was just.....distinctive...lol
I've noticed that hound smell on Murphy. Not a bad smell, just distinctive.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Originally Posted By: jen-n-jerseyI've never noticed a doggy smell too much on Jersey. Sometimes if she's been outside for a while she comes back in a little smelly but it seems to dissipate quickly. Her feet however, do smell like Fritos.

How surprised to you think my wife would be if I arrived home, grabbed Murphy and started sniffing his feet and started mumbling Mmmm...Fritos. ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.