Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Super Moderator
I have never had a picky eater but I do know that they are out there because people have posted about it. Are you feeding canned or dry kibble?

Registered
Benji
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feed him canned food in the mornings and home cooked food in the evenings. He never seems to be looking out for his meal times - needs to be coaxed mostly. Am I doing it right? Worried 馃槯

Registered
My dog was very picky for a long time.. cooking food might make him more picky when it comes to eating dog food. I tried many brands. I eventually bought a food that comes in a roll that is refrigerated and that did the trick. Of course i dont know what brands are available where you are..

Registered
Benji
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dear Cassie - kind of relieved to hear that some beagles are picky eaters indeed. Most commercial dog foods are available here in India. My pup just does not eat kibble. He does eat wet food only when really hungry. Keeps sniffing first and only then does he taste it. Surprised to see such a behaviour in a doggie 馃ぉ. I just hope things turn around soon.

Registered
This is the food i buy..its called Freshpet and comes in a roll in the refrigerated section of the pet store. I slice off the amount needed for a feeding then refrigerate the roll.
My dog doesnt like kibble either. I gave many bags away at the animal shelter because my dog wouldn't eat it. Perhaps you can find a similar food. You would think a beagle would eat anything..
The problem with cooking food is that it takes your time to keep a supply and inevitably run out at the most inconvenient time..
Hope you post a picture..
Cassie says hi
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Snout

Material property Ingredient Tints and shades Font Drink

Registered
I don't have any suggestions re: food, but wanted to say hello and welcome :)

Reactions: allymcbeagle

Super Moderator
Kibble is actually good to feed a beagle because it helps to keep the anal glands cleared out so they don't get impacted Oliver has kibble mixed with canned food and we add some warm water and plain yogurt or canned plain pumpkin.

Registered
Benji
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the amazing feedback. I too give him chicken (similar to freshpet) at times. My worry is that his appetite is kind of always less. He never ever jumps up to be fed.
I am glad to hear such positive responses. Sharing our fur buddy problems does help a lot. Thanks

Registered
Oh my he's so good looking! Thank you for the pictures.
By the way..my picky eater got better over time..now she's very interested in food...lol

Registered
He is soooo handsome! Thanks for sharing him :)

Registered
So handsome, my Ally was picky and it turned out she had a sensitive tummy. After just about every kibble out there, we landed on one that went out of business and we switched to Freshpet, that Cassie鈥檚 mom uses. One caution about home-cooked, make sure the food has the right protein content and vitamins necessary for growth.

Registered
Just thought of something else - has your beagle had the vet recommended wormings. Ally one day threw up after eating and what came our looked like very thin spaghetti pasta -worms! Because she had pneumonia, some of her vaccines and workings had to be delayed. Since she hadn鈥檛 been out of the yard in a public place (we had to keep her in our yard only for 9 months), it was the last thing I expected!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts