Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are lots of people on BW who have other breeds of dogs, but what about Beagle mixes?
Is a Beagle Mix still a Beagle? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
My Lucky is a Beagle mix. I'm not sure what else he is mixed with. But of course a Beagle mix is still a Beagle! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Li'l Girl is a purebred beagle as far as I can tell, but in my beagle experience I've had two beagle mixes who I certainly considered beagles. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Well the 12 beagle mixes we put in the world certainly acted like beagles.
Our first beagle's brood

Spotties gang (our second beagle, four of the pups are now 13 years old)

this one is still alive

This pup is surely more beagle than anything? It was so full it could only sleep on its back!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
One never really knows with rescues whether they are "purebred" or not - but I agree with Murphy's Dad's question of whether it really matters...

That being said, though, I do sometimes wonder what "mix" might be in Popcorn, if only because I am intrigued by what on earth it might be! Her body is a little longer in proportion to her legs than either Booker and Moose - enough that I would almost think Basset Hound but for the fact that otherwise she is leaner overall than they are, rather than being more stocky (which I would think if she was part Basset). And her butt and rear legs are a bit more athletic and muscular than the others. Sometimes I wonder if it might be some sort of smaller spaniel, since she has a bit more interest in birds than the others (although that might just be not-so-good eyesight as she almost seems to expect them to be squirrels and then gets confused when they run away). But we love her to death whatever on earth she has mixed in there!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
My Amber was a Beagle/Cavalier King Charles mix and I still considered her a Beagle. Jersey is most likely not a pure bred Beagle (Mommy is a Beagle found as a pregnant stray). She's tall and lean in comparison to other Beagles, but her face and markings are all Beagle. Is she still a Beagle? Her attitude and personality sure say so! LOL! We think she may have Basenji in her. She's got a tall lean body like they do and her tail curls. It's like a teapot handle over her back. Do I care? NOPE! She's still my girl and I couldn't love her more, regardless of what Daddy may have been! Like Maria, I would love to know, just out of curiousity what else in in there.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
My little Jake (died of cancer 7 years ago) was beagle size, beagle tri-color and beagle hunting instinct.

But he had crooked, smaller, pointy ears, a pointer nose than a beagle, and little bitty feet.

Like Henry, he was a fat lazy little slug of a momma's boy but unlike Henry, he was a little bad-ass.

I miss him so much.

Anyway...because of him being part beagle, is why I became a beetle fan. He was so cute!

·
Registered
39 Posts
We think Oscar is a Beagle mix but we're not sure with what. He acts completely Beagle, but is very fine boned and has a very thin and somewhat long face. The vet said maybe he has some Jack Russell in him, but it's hard to tell.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I've never known what my Shadow was mixed with, but it didn't matter. He went to the Bridge in 2000, and I still miss him! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif Here's one of the last pictures taken of the little guy. Misty loved him so! :heart:

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Miss Shiloh is a beagle/basset mix. I don't think it's 50/50, but there's definately a bassett hound somewhere in her ancestry. But I still call her a beagle. I've had a few people who have questioned whether or not she is all beagle, and then I explain that she's part bassett. And I'm sure if she was standing next to a purebred, you would easily be able to tell the difference. I just figure she's part bassett, mostly beagle, and all love! :heart:

·
Registered
157 Posts
:computer: Our Tippi is a beagle/cocker spaniel mix and although she looks more like a cocker, she is all beagle!! Her dad and grandad were both beagles according to the man who gave her to us. Truthfully, I was glad to read this post, because I was afraid that if I told you all that she wasn't full beagle, you would run me off the site. This happened to me on a cocker spaniel site. They told me that I couldn't register with them so when I landed on BW, it took me two weeks to get up the nerve to register. Anyway, if it weren't for BW, we would probably still be struggling to find out what is wrong with Tippi. BW gave me the courage to push forward with our vet and now we seem to be on the right road to helping her get better and live happier!! Anyway I would like to apologize to everyone at BW for not telling the "whole story" about Tippi. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Lora&Tippi

"My little dog. A heartbeat at my feet."
Edith Wharton

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
No problem, I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we're just happy to help. That's what we're here for. We adore all Beagles. Plus we love to ooh and aww over pictures of everyones beagle babies. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Lora&Tippi:
Truthfully, I was glad to read this post, because I was afraid that if I told you all that she wasn't full beagle, you would run me off the site.
Anyway I would like to apologize to everyone at BW for not telling the "whole story" about Tippi.
Oh my goodness - that would be the furthest thing from my mind... I'm just hopeful that with a diagnosis now Tippi can start to get better!

I can understand your concern, though, given your previous experience on the cocker spaniel site. I did have an experience sort of like that way back, when I had the distinct feeling that we were close to being asked to leave a beagle event due to the fact that Booker has quite a wavy coat for a beagle - eyebrows were definitely raised about her "pureness". I have to laugh now because she is the only one of ours with "papers" - for what they are really worth...

I do think that the number of people here who have rescues is proof that overall we are not overly concerned about whether a beagle is "purebred" - since you are unlikely to go the rescue route if that is your ultimate requirement.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
This happened to me on a cocker spaniel site. They told me that I couldn't register with them ...
That cocker spaniel site should have been glad that they had a potential member who was part beagle -- it would have upgraded their site immensely! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif We are glad you found us!

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Truthfully, I was glad to read this post, because I was afraid that if I told you all that she wasn't full beagle, you would run me off the site.
By the way....the term "honorary beagle" is used often by members to describe their non-beagle fur kids :biglaugh: This friendly forum accepts all race, colors and creeds as family! So, welcome home! :wave:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts