Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have just adopted our first beagle in 6-7 years and this one came from a rescue. He was abused and left in the cold from his previous owner because his hunting drive was not good enough.

Yesterday was his first day here and although he has sniffed his way around for some time he still seems to pace and whimper every so often. He also is very afraid of our cats who seem to love him. He is so afraid that we will bark or snap at them.

Any suggestions to help him with the cats would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Welcome to BW!!!!
You could buy a small pen from your local pet store and place your cats in it and tie him out next to the pen. That's what we did to introduce Derby and Cowboy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He also seems to want to eat alll the time...

is this normal, should we keep him eating only certain times a day and a bowl at a time?

He is more of an english foxhound than beagle size so he's about 40 lbs now...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World! :wave: I've never had a problem with my dogs being afraid of our Miss Priss, so don't have advice there. As for feeding, if your beagle's not underweight, I'm of the feed twice a day school. That works well with my group

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Hi Eric,

Welcome to BW and many thanks for rescuing your poor little guy.

My Henry was a rescue and he was plucked from a shelter in Louisians, sent to a vet for some shots and nuetering, then to a foster mom then put on a transport truck full of labs for a two day ride to us in Virginia.

When he first arrived, he slept...being on his own and frightened, he probably had to always sleep with one eye opened to watch for danger.

Then he became frightened...cowered at everything. Sometimes we had to do some detective work to figure out what he was scared of. Almost two years later, he still see's "ghosts" from the past but his personality has emerged and he is funny and affectionate and just plain....Henry.

Your little guy has only been there for a day. I think he needs time to adjust and realize that nobody there, including the cats, are going to hurt him. His eating will probably slow down when he realizeds that there is no need to eat quickly because he will be fed again and nobody will take his food from him.

Give him time, let him see that he is loved (by the cats too) and be patient and consistent. That's my advice.

What is his name!

~Denise

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for the good advice. Like I said, it has been a good 7 years since my last beagle and that one was full grown.

I will give him some time. He had a couple of accidents today but I think he's still learning where the door is and that it is ok to go outside.

My last question was regarding breathing issues. I know some dogs have natural breathing problems and we noticed that our beagle was sleeping on the couch and seemed like he was gasping for breathe, even after he woke up. Does this sound odd to anyone?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to the BW pack! Another rescue joins the fray!

Give him some time. He has to transition from hunter to family member. As with all rescues, this takes time.

Feeding should occur once or twice (2 half portions) a day depending on how active he is. Beagles can be never-ending-eating-machines. Its up to you to control the portions. Check with your vet on how much.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Hi,

Whenever anybody mentions breathing issues in a new, rescued or older dogs, the first thing that comes to my mind are heartworms.

Heartworms almost killed Henry.

I don't know how prevalent they are in your area but has he been checked for them?

~Denise

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
His name is Scout.

The foster parent gave me heart worm medication and I figured it was just preventative but it could be because of a diagnoses.

Another question I have is, what is normal behavoir for an 11 month old beagle? Should he be energetic? he is extremely stubborn...I guess all beagles are.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
:wave: Hi Eric and welcome to BW. Bless you for rescuing Scout and giving him a warm loving home. Let's see now, he wants to eat all the time and he's stubborn...yep, sounds like you got yourself a beagle, alright!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif I bet that in time he will get used to the cats and not be afraid of them. If he was an outside hunting dog, he's probably not used to living with cats, and doesn't know quite what to expect. Plus, he's only been with you for a couple of days; everything is still new and different to him. If he doesn't seem very energetic to you it could be because of his past experiences. I'm sure he'll relax and his beagle-ness will come out more as he gets to know his new home. I don't know what to tell you about the concerns about his breathing. Have you had him checked by your vet? Good luck, and congratulations on your new family member. Sounds like a great start for the new year for you and Scout! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

1 - 14 of 14 Posts