Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I take Piper for a walk, she always picks up on a scent, and then makes this weird, shrilly sound. It's not a bark, not is it a cry, it's just, weird. Does anybody else experience this? I have video of her doing it if my explanation was not good enough. I just don't know how to describe it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I'm going to get on my computer and upload the video. I just transferred all of my files from phone to computer. One minute.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
LOL, I think that sound is practice for a healthy bark...get ready...:D

I also noticed that great whipping motion from side to side...how's your shoulder? :walk:heehee

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol, she definitely leads the way on walks. What I think is funny is that even though we walk the same path, she probably walks twice as much as me because not only does she do the side to side thing, she also runs as far as the leash will let her go, only to turn around and run the other way until the harness tightens.
Totally weird, but an absolute blast.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OMG, that is NOT my normal voice. That's my "baby/doggie" voice. I should have watched the entire video before posting it- I sound like a total dork.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Totally typical behavior

I can't walk Rascal now because she would pull me off my feet!
techie
I have trouble walking Cassie. It's discouraging especially since I recovered recently from a fractured shoulder. I'm afraid of falling again.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Wow, crazy walk. She is way hyped up and out of control. Have you tried keeping her by your side and not using that retractable leash? I think she's super excited. Goodness I got tired just watching that. I personally would not put up with that. lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I let her off of her leash... once. Granted, that was last year, but I really thought she would go straight to the car. I was wrong. She did go to the car and stopped, then she decided to run into the neighbors back yard, around our house a couple of times, before finally trapping herself in between two neighbors fences. Once she realized she had nowhere to go, she just walked right up to me as if I hadn't been chasing her for five minutes. Worst part is, I had just had 3 of those stupid steroid injections in my back, and couldn't hardly run after her.

I love her to death, and once she gets inside she calms down and either wants to sleep, or play with her tug toys. I think part of the reason she gets so excited when we go on walks is the fact that there are tons of dogs in our neighborhood, and we all walk our dogs along the exact same route. She picks up scents the entire walk, and has to run back and forth, and back and forth. I put up with it because I remember how much I wished I had taken my now deceased dog for more walks, and when he got old, and to the point he no longer wanted to do anything except be by my feet, I felt so much remorse and felt guilty for not having him be more active. I remember just wishing he would want to go for a walk, and I know when Piper gets old, I will wish she were younger and long for the days of these crazy walks.
As long as she is well-behaved, as she is now, she can go as crazy as she wants to on walks. I don't mind it, and know I'll miss it when these days are gone.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Don't feel bad. Boh got away from us once. He ran up the street, turned the corner and stopped on someones' front porch - where he proceeded to eat their Halloween pumpkin.

I use a prong on Boh. Have for years. I know some people hate the idea of them. His is lightweight. He doesn't mind it and never pulls. The thing is, I'm getting older, have had some broken bones and just can't tolerate being yanked around. It's what works for me.

If you are satisfied, that is fine. Just be careful with retractable leashes. It is important to maintain control and avoid injuries.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes I'd agree the dog is just super excited. Going for a walk is very exciting business. I found a retractable leash to be too dangerous with my beagle, she just weaved around with it too much to the point where I felt like sooner or later she would take my feet out from under me. Now I use a normal leash, but slightly longer than normal. But I also developed a command "this way" when I want her to change directions. She obeys it.... most of the time. When something is *especially* interesting smelling, I have to wait for her to finish her sniffing, even food won't move her then.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I am 3 years late to this post, haha... But, I have a Beaglier (a Beagle x Cavalier) called Senna and he is CRAZY on walks! He does exactly what Piper does in her video every time I take him out. I take him for a walk before work and after work, and I also pay for a dog walker to take him out in the middle of the day. So in total, he is out walking and playing for approximately 4 hours a day. No matter how much exercise he gets, he just doesn't calm down! :(
I wanted to check in and see whether Piper's behaviour improved over time?
Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Claire

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
This is exactly why beagles are not off leash dogs. I highly recommend the Perfect Pace halter. I beliwve you can either get it on their website or on Amazon. It has the strip of cord that goes over the nose. The design is different from similar types in stores. Check it out.thats Cassie on the left with it on

1 - 17 of 17 Posts