Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there is an article on the web about how out of 80 or so breeds beagles are close to last in intelligence, but my experience has been different. yes they can be stubborn and difficult to train sometimes but i think that is only because their interests lie in other areas. we used to camp with a group of friends in the ocala national forest and there were pitbulls golden retrievers dobermans mutts schnauzers and of course beagles. the beagles didnt do the best tricks, they werent always the best behaved, but who do you think learned on hot days how to open the cooler and lie down in the ice? and not just one. two coolers, each with a beagle in it.and they figured it out on their own.

·
Registered
959 Posts
There are days I think that mine are just dumber than door nails, adn they they show me a new side of themselves and their superior intelligence. And like you said, they did it all on their own. Their brains are far too filled with the important things of life to be bothered with dumb human tricks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've had the opposite experience with my Beagle. I think he is super smart. Any trick/command I've taught him he has picked up within minutes and it took him less than a week to learn to ring the bells if he has to go outside. Is he stubborn sometimes? Sure, but that doesn't mean he doesn't know exactly what I want.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I wonder what they are basing that on. Is an animal conforming to human whimsy considered intelligence? We (as humans) tend to want our pets to fit into a pretty little box and act the way we WANT them to act.
I believe beagles are highly intelligent problem solvers. They do what makes sense to them, not us.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Stupid; No. Willful, Stubborn, disobedient; definitely.

They certainly understand what you want of them but they choose to do it when it suits them and not you. Left to their own devices they seem to get themselves into a lot of trouble usually by working out how to open things or get into or out of places they shouldn't all of this without being shown or taught.

These intelligence tests usually look at how quickly and frequently a dog responds to a given command; the correct response first time every time usually gets a higher score. From what I have seen Beagles just aren't wired that way; give them an instruction if they want to do it they will if not they just give you that look; the one that says I know what you want but why would I want to do it; what's in it for me

·
Registered
890 Posts
Beagles have their own priorities, and they don't always agree with the humans. Notice that the Smart dogs are all bred to work on humans commands, hunt on human commands, etc. Beagles (hounds in general) are bred to do their hunting on their own without the aid of humans to tell them what to do. Once they find the prey, they then inform the humans that the job is done, come and do your part. Humans can pull a cart, herd sheep, chase a criminal, etc, but try to find a human that can find a rabbit that passed by 6 hours ago. Beagles are smart.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think that's probably the same article I saw on the web as well, awhile back.

My guys are very intelligent. They can be stubborn at times, of course, but I've always found them to be very smart dogs.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Most of those articles are based on the dog's bidability.

Beagles can be exceptionally easy to train if you motivate them the right way.

Daisy learns things so quickly, and is always so keen and happy to work - training is about the handler's ability not the dog's.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I am a first time Beagle parent who hasn't had a dog since I was a kid. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing! When we got Penny, my friends rolled their eyes and said we were in for problems with a Beagle because they thought Beagles to be unintelligent and single minded. Our Penny proved them wrong!

Penny Beagle has been so easy to train, within a week or two of bringing her home she was fully house trained, she only chews her toys not the furniture, rarely barks (although she does Whine when she wants something). Most of the time she does what we ask of her. She becomes extremely regretful if we scold her - which is rare these days and she is only 9 months old! All this with what I consider to be very little effort on our part. I think Penny makes good choices and has worked out what works best for all of us to get along in harmony - which is more than a lot of so called intelligent humans can do!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Very interesting....a few friends watched Quinn for New Years. They were quite impressed with how smart she is, and they train and own golden labs. One of the first things they said to me was, she is a very smart dog!

·
Registered
326 Posts
problem solvers this is what Beags are, this is smart in My books.
They remind me of scientists haaaaaaaaaaha

·
Registered
79 Posts
Starla has been rather easy to train contrary to what a lot of people warned us about beagles before we got her. She's picked up most if not all of her commands/tricks within minutes and has learned so many keywords that we've had to take to spelling things out. She even retrieves specific toys that we ask for. The only time I question her intelligence is when she does something really stupid such as eating things that obviously aren't edible, like a bottle cap (which she did last week and we had to have an endoscopy done to get it out.) But other than that I think that she's a very intelligent dog.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts