Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I know we all love love love our beagles, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to get Badger out of my bed. I love him to pieces, but I am tired of doing laundry constantly so my bed is clean and fresh!

PLUS...the little bugger HOGS all the time!

By the way he has a nice plush doggie bed with a bazillion blankets to sleep in and his sister stays in a crate!

Any advice would be super helpful! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Crate training worked best for me. Harley was in his crate all night long for about a month. He learned two things.

#1 - Not to mess his sleeping area.
#2 - His pillow in the crate was his bed.

After he stopped having accidents I moved him out of the crate next to my bed and thats where he sleeps. Mind you he still tries to jump on but I just put him back on his pillow and he will go to sleep.

Might be a good idea to crate him at night so he starts learning where his sleeping spot is.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Andy

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I sure wish that I had some sage advice here because that would mean that I had gotten the beagle out of my bed also.

I tried everything I could think of including putting Sammy back in her crate. I finally decided to invest in a few more sheet sets so that I can change them out without having to wash them right away.....

I will be checking back for any help others might have.....

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Strange as it sounds, this isn't a problem I've had. Years ago, we once had 3 dogs sleeping in bed with us. :eyes: That was too many and too much. We bought beds for them, and after a few nights of our making them sleep there they were fine with it. The dogs we have now all have their own beds, and are content with them. I actually tried getting Li'l Girl to sleep in the bed when it was so cold recently, but she'd get in her own bed after a little while. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I also don't know what to suggest other than crate training. Luckily we don't have the problem of all three of ours wanting to sleep with us - since Booker much prefers her own bed to ours. But Moose and Popcorn both want to sleep with us most of the time - although we recently bought the dogs a second bed (rather than just a bigger one) and that seems to be working with one of Moose or Popcorn sleeping in it most nights so we only have one left with us. But if they want to come up in the middle of the night I simply don't know how to stop them, since I'm ASLEEP at the time...

Good luck with your query!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Several years ago we decided to kick Buckley out of the bed and went and bought him a nice bed to put next to ours (he freaks if we put him in a crate - that never worked). Well, we stuck to it for a while, then I weakened and let him back in.

Well, having just adopted beagle #2 who is crate trained and sleeps in her crate at night, it was time. After all, it's only fair.

Initially, when we first bought the bed, we taught Buckley the command "go to your bed", using treats. Now he obeys, but occasionally in the night, a little beagle will try to sneak under the covers with me. I just send him back to his bed and there he stays. Since we've had the two dogs, I find it easier to stick to it this time. His attempts to get in with me have tapered off to almost none.

I hope that helps. You have to be strong and stick with it!! Good luck...remember how nice it is to put your feet wherever you want and turn over without contorting yourself into weird positions!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have no advice either here as I currently have 3 beagles in the bed with me most nights, though usually 1 or 2 will end up on the floor next to the bed.
I havent really tried doggy beds, as they are all pretty big chewers and whatever I have gotten them they have chewed.
I did see however they are starting to make some doggy beds made out of denim (like blue jeans) so they are tougher so dogs cant chew thru them as easily. perhaps I will get one or two or THREE of those!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Judi

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey sleeps with us but sometimes goes to sleep in her crate on her own. Amber always slept with us but when her arthritis got too bad to keep going up and down off the bed we got her own bed for her and within about a week she was sleeping on the floor. It wasn't easy to convince her that was the best option, but eventually she got the idea.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Lucky isn't allowed to sleep in the bed with us. He takes up too much room and he steals my pillow. Hehe. Sometimes when I am just relaxing and watching TV in the bed, I will let him cuddle. But as soon as it is bedtime, he knows the command "night night", and he goes to his big bed with lots of blankets and pillows. He loves to sneak on the bed from time to time during the day when we're home. I simply just pick up and put him on his bed. He gets stubborn when he doesn't want to get off, but I just put him in his bed anyhow. I never started with him sleeping in the bed so I'm not sure how to make a beagle get off when it has slept in the bed. Sorry!

·
Registered
131 Posts
My babies don't sleep with us, but they are free to jump on the bed in the morning, when wake-up-time arrives. Milla prefers sleeping in her crate, she suffers heat too much when she sleeps in our bed /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif And Luce would love to sleep with us, but she's ms evil and when she stays on the bed she tries to occupy as much space as she can :freak: So we bought an armchair just for her. She doesn't like much dog's beds, so we thought she would have appreciated it. And it happened indeed /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif It's her safe place, and she loves sleeping there /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
66 Posts
Weird thing for me is night time is no problem. He has his bed and thats where he sleeps.

Everything is a problem, if I am relaxing watching a little tv on the couch he can't seem to find a comfortable spot. He will interupt me so many times until I let him jump on me and sleep on my chest.

Ever have a dog breathing and snoring 2 inches from your face...Not always pleasant.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Our two have their beds on the floor at the end of our bed. They sleep there all night but at about 7am they jump on our bed for a cuddle. If you dont want the beagle in bed then you'll have to be firm. Have a comfy bed on the floor in your room, and if that doesnt work ten a crate in the room.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I wouldn't be able to sleep with out Lazy up against my side. Not to mention all the other dogs in my bed, but my Lazy sleeps right up against my side and I wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Our girls have a large bed in our bedroom which they share. Just lately though we've woken up to find both dogs sleeping IN our bed! :rolleyes: Neither of us hears or feels them get in but they both carefully sneak up in the night.

They both end up getting turfed off because they take up too much room and theres sometimes far too much snoring, strange smells, dreaming & galloping going on to have a restful night /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
I can definately see the benefit of crates.

Angela

·
Registered
59 Posts
I love having Ralph in my bed although I really wish he wouldn't move around so much. He's in the bed , he's n the bed he's on the floor he's in the bed again. He paws me to lift up the blanket so he can get in he must do it bout 3 times a night!!! Little monster. But I do love it. I love cuddles. my boyfriend, I and Ralph all cuddle up it's so sweet. x

·
Registered
786 Posts
Well we always have a beagle in bed with us... Every night we switch with my son. Last night we had both in bed and they were both under the covers. Well the cat(who also sleeps on the bed)didn't realize he was standing on one of them. My husband and I were laughing. I can just picture Jasmine holding her breath with the cat standing on top of her... :rotatesmiley2:

·
Registered
794 Posts
We have to do something about having both dogs in bed with us!
Georgia and Polly rarely snuggle with each other--in fact, Georgia will "warn" Polly if she gets too close. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif
There's really not enough room in our bedroom for the 2 crates...
I'm going to see if they will each sleep with one of our sons tonight...the entire night.
wish me luck.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
308 Posts
I usually come to bed to 2 Girls nose to nose on my side of the bed.

Add to that the snoring contests that Chloe and Hubby have and I usually sleep VERY well every night :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Henry always falls asleep next to me with his head next to my pillow.

This morning I woke and turned and gave Henry a quick little kiss on his head.

But it wasn't his head! :freak:

·
Registered
439 Posts
goose

:rotflmao:
thats funny......when it happens to someone else.
been there done it too. :rolleyes:

man, i cant sleep at night w/o bernie in the bed.
hes the same about his dad. its killing me now sleeping on the floor and him in his cage.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts