Our Beagle World Forums banner

Beagle in a cemetery,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

3K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  Beagle RC Air 
#1 ·
We do volunteer work once a year at a local endowment care cemetery. When we went to remove Legion crosses after Memorial Day we took 'Trix' along on a leash (it is permitted).
Her reaction to being there was quite alarming. Never seen the hair go up on her back like that. Swath of hair 3 inches wide down her back and intense pulling on the leash. No barking or baying just confusion on her part. Next time she stays home. So what do you think was going on?

#2 ·
no idea, but i walk teddy at the cementary , its like 4 blocks down and very pet friendly the owner puts out poo bags and sets up doggy drinking lines for them to grab water etc. and never had a weird experience but maybe your beagle was alittle weirded out? u never know, dogs can sense the darndest things and are more hyper aware then ppl so who knows.

#10 ·
i really believe dogs can pick up on things that we can't
including energy, scents, emotions....etc.
especially for a beagle!
who knows what she sensed..but that's pretty interesting!!!!
maybe she saw a ghost

#11 ·
I walk Snoopy in the local cemetary where my grandmother is buried. Snoopy doesn't react to anything at the cemetary EXCEPT--there is a separate section for small children. She always pulls to go in that direction. I don't try to explain it. I just take her there. Once we are there, she is content. It is a very sad area but I have always just attributed her behavior to her love for kids. I know that sounds wierd, but I have no other explanation.

#12 ·
You know, I was going to suggest the same thing, maybe she did indeed sense a presence, I'm not going to say no to the idea, or yes, but a BIG maybe. It could be that she senses things around her aren't the way they are in any other place and it spooked her. I hate to subject her to another trip, but it would be interesting to see if her reaction was the same.

#13 ·
Do you believe?

I know I've sensed things at times.
When my grandmother died, I sensed Grandpa when I walked into their house. (but he had died years before.)
I found out later, that my cousin actually SAW him in the house when she went to pick up the dress that Grandma was to be burried in!
I also get a certain sense or feeling when I go to places like the New Orleans, French Quarter.

I'm going to have to visit a cemetary with my girls, and see how they act.

#17 ·
Originally Posted By: A doghouseSome dogs are very sensitive to strange smells. A cemetery is full of such smells. Maybe the smell of death.
This was my first thought, but I wanted others who may have experienced this to give their experiences. Trix's hair on her back came half way up over a wide area of her back like I have never seen before. She has engaged cats, possums and raccoons and her hair stands straight up like a narrow ridge down her back. Not so on this outing, like she was scared and excited at the same time. Thanks again for all the posts.
When I get pc tower out of the shop I will post a picture of what I call our 40 mph beagle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.