Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Sandy Beagle
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to this site, I'm in desperate need of some advice/help my 6 month old beagle has started pooing in her crate, we take her out around 10 at night so she can do her business and up with her around 6 to half 6 in morning and she's been pooing when we go to let her out. We've stopped her eating after certain time at night but it keeps happening. Does anyone know why this is happening? Thanks

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Hi
Is this something new or going on for a long time? Do you clean the crate with an enzymatic like a product called Miracle? My dog will occasionally wake up in the middle of the night to peep/poop even though going before bed. Believe me I hate the 2am potty call. If you can for awhile, wake your dog to go out instead of waiting for your dog.. so to get ahead of the mess. Tell the dog where to go.. my dog understands the word "outside". When i say it she heads for the door. For some darn reason it takes some beagles awhile to get the potty thing right.
Hope you post a picture of your pooper..
Cassie says Hi

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I couldn't have said it better than @Cassie

I would start back up with mid-overnight potty breaks. And make sure you're cleaning with a good enzyme cleaner.

Reactions: Cassie

·
Registered
Sandy Beagle
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello, thanks for your replies. Yes its recent thing she started doing it this weekend, do you mean wake her up in middle of the night?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Yes, I would set an alarm for the middle of your sleep period and take her out to have her poop then - hopefully that means she won't have the accident first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
And very cute!

Reactions: Lol Jaye

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Oh so adorable! If you think about it..you said your dog goes out at 10pm then there is a mess at 6am...thats 8 hours.. i think a 6 month old puppy cant hold it that long.

·
Registered
Sandy Beagle
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh so adorable! If you think about it..you said your dog goes out at 10pm then there is a mess at 6am...thats 8 hours.. i think a 6 month old puppy cant hold it that long.
Yes its long time its just strange how shes been sleeping through for while and only just started doing this past few nights. I will try the getting up in middle of the night- going to be hard i love my sleep haha!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Our most recent dog (18 months now) went through a regression around that age if I'm remembering. He wasn't pooping, but he was peeing in dribbles when he'd been past that for ages. I think taking out more often is worth a try.

What time(s) do you feed her at? We started feeding earlier in the evening when we got the young 'un. More time to process the food prior to the bedtime potty.

·
Registered
Sandy Beagle
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Our most recent dog (18 months now) went through a regression around that age if I'm remembering. He wasn't pooping, but he was peeing in dribbles when he'd been past that for ages. I think taking out more often is worth a try.

What time(s) do you feed her at? We started feeding earlier in the evening when we got the young 'un. More time to process the food prior to the bedtime potty.
We feed her about 4pm. i don't want her getting used to being woken up at 2am if it start doing this will I be making a rod for my own back ?

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Try a little earlier than 6am like perhaps 5am.. my dog wakes up exactly at 6am every morning even if its still dark outside. Its a matter of trial and error.. I agree with Neb.. it seems at that age they seem to forget everything
But you will notice a growth spurt all of a sudden. Keep the cute pictures coming.
Im a puppy survivor ...lol

·
Registered
Sandy Beagle
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Try a little earlier than 6am like perhaps 5am.. my dog wakes up exactly at 6am every morning even if its still dark outside. Its a matter of trial and error.. I agree with Neb.. it seems at that age they seem to forget everything
But you will notice a growth spurt all of a sudden. Keep the cute pictures coming.
Im a puppy survivor ...lol
Will get up early in morning with her and see how we get on. Thanks for all your advice :)
This is sandy peeping over to our next door neighbours haha!

Attachments

·
Registered
Sandy Beagle
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh my gosh..you win today's cute face prize!!
:giggle:
Got up at 5am with sandy today only tiny tiny poo in her bed took her straight outside and she did her thing. So I think getting up earlier is the answer....nothing a costa coffee won't fix haha!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
That's progress! If she's still pooping, I'd try for a bit earlier (then go back to bed) but this sounds great.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Cassie got up at 5:32 am this morning... she lets me know
She's at the point she sleeps in her crate with the door open. She goes to the back door and lets out a yelp
I say ok "go peepee" ( what I say for both). Then... when she's back in I give her a tiny treat as a reward... try the treat idea for going outside and praise too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts