Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you got any ideas on a dog friendly place to go for a few days? There are so many Florida people here, I'm hoping one of you knows a place where I'll be able to bring Jersey. I don't want to go for too long, just a long weekend. Mike is still in his first year at his job and won't have any vacation time until September, so we can't go too far. I would just like to be able to bring Jersey. I've heard about places in Sarasota and Cedar Key that are very pet friendly. Any ideas???

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
Last August we helped friends move from Virginia to Wyoming. We moved some of their 'house hold' goods and 3 of their miniture horses. We boarded our horses with a friend, and had neighbors look in on Sam and Bear. Murphy and Kip got stuck in the truck with us. :freak:

We camped on the way out and didn't have any problems with having the girls or the minis. (That's another story) Making a long story short, on the way back we decided we really needed to stay in a real bed in a hotel. Using the AAA book I called ahead and made reservations at La Quinta. I asked about the girls, they let us bring them in to the room with no extra charge. I was really surprised, I thought I'd probably have to put them in a kennel or something. But, they let us bring them right in thru the loby and into the room. In the morning, I took them back out thru the loby and breakfast and out to the truck.

So, if you're a AAA member you might look into that. There is a website that has pet friendly hotels. But, I don't have the site here on the home PC. Try a Google search. Smitty reminded me not all hotels in a chain will have the same rules. That is not all La Quinta's will allow pets. Good luck and have a good time.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I believe there are quite a few websites where you can search for pet-friendly accommodation in your area or wherever you specifically want to go. A couple we have found to be quite good are:

www.petswelcome.com
www.petfriendlytravel.com

Also, a fair number of hotel chains, including some quite upscale ones (such as Kimpton, W, Fairmont, Four Seasons) are actually pet-friendly - but I don't think they advertise it too much.

A couple of years ago we treated ourselves and the hounds (only Booker and Moose at that point) to a trip through the Canadian Rockies and we all stayed at three swanky Fairmont hotels - Jasper Park Lodge, Chateau Lake Louise and the Banff Springs Hotel. At each hotel, other guests were simply blown away that dogs were allowed and many of them said they would have brought their dogs too, had they only known.

At Chateau Lake Louise (the most expensive of the three so we only stayed for one night) they gave each of the hounds a tag for their collar to show they were guests - here is Moosie proudly displaying his:

The valet forgot to bring up Booker's bed from the car and she was quite unsure what to then do with herself:

until finally we added even more pillows to the (already quite puffy) couch and that finally seemed to meet the hounds' expectations for such accommodation!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jen: If you are near a AAA office, they actually have a publication about dog-friendly lodging/vacation spots. If you are a member, it might be free -- even better!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:Originally posted by judymaggie:
Jen: If you are near a AAA office, they actually have a publication about dog-friendly lodging/vacation spots. If you are a member, it might be free -- even better!
Oooh, I'll have to try that! Thanks Judy!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jen: I checked the AAA website and couldn't find it but did find it at Barnes & Noble's website. It is a paperback called "Traveling with Your Pet: The AAA Petbook". Good luck!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Judy, I never even thought about books. I've been looking online at hotel websites, but a book would probably be a lot more helpful. I need ideas about where to go anyway, and a book would definitely help. I'm leaning towards Cedar Key. They have one place with a doggy day care kind of thing so that we could go out and have somewhere safe to leave Jersey.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and ... if you win the lottery before you go away, you could stay at The Ritz in Sarasota -- they are trying out a new program. They even have doggie massages -- only a few hundred dollars!!

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
The pictures of Booker and Moose relaxing on their vacation made me smile. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

But who threw the beagle in the corner and left it there? :p

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Gingergoose:
But who threw the beagle in the corner and left it there? :p
Booker did that all by herself! Her bed is roughly that size and shape so I took it as her attempt to sending us the strong message that we needed to get her bed from the car...

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
Ah, if you had said 7 days instead of 3, I would have said EUROPE! France, Belgium Republic Tcheque.... In these countries, you can take your dog everywhere, museum and restaurant included.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:Originally posted by cheerio:
Ah, if you had said 7 days instead of 3, I would have said EUROPE! France, Belgium Republic Tcheque.... In these countries, you can take your dog everywhere, museum and restaurant included.
But wouldn't I have to quarantine her before she'd be allowed overseas?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by jen-n-jersey:
But wouldn't I have to quarantine her before she'd be allowed overseas?
I think that was just for going to England (something crazy like six months) and they have now removed the requirement - but someone may know for sure.

And I think the Queen Mary 2 allows dogs on board for transatlantic voyages!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Very interested to read the Queen mary 2 allows dogs on board. We would love to take our two to the USA.
Britian still has strict restrictions but one can take dogs and cats (and ferrets) in without quarantine. Trouble is the first trip requires 7 months preparation!!!! The dog (or cat) has to be micropchipped and then vacinated against rabies, has to be done in that order or is not valid. A month later the vet has to take a blood sample and send it to a laboratory recognised by the EU. Once that comes back positive one has to wait six months before entering GB. A minimum of 24 hours before entering the country and a maximum of 48 hours, the dog has to be treated against tics and
worms, this is entered into the animals passport. From there on it is only necessary to keep the vacinations up to date, apart from the tic and worm business which has to be done every time.

Europe is quite easy re taking dogs into hotels and restaurants, the exception being Britain, Italy and Spain.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I had to take Emma to Brooksville to be fixed. I got a room in the hotel right across from Weeki Wachee (Best Western I think). There was no pet charge. I don't think you can take her to Weeki Wachee, but there might be other things around there that do. (I walked around historic Brooksville & I could have taken Emma)

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:Originally posted by sherocks:
I walked around historic Brooksville & I could have taken Emma)
Hey, Jen -- there is an AKC all-breed dog show going on in Brooksville through next weekend. Too bad you can't get away this weekend -- you could go there and take Jersey to the dog show!

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
BMoose, you are right, there are no quarantine to go over sees. All you need is a rabies certificate showing that your dog has been vaccinated at least 30 days prior departure and no more than 12 months before, and a Health certificate signed by a Vet no more than 10 days prior to departure. Holland and Belgian also want a certificate of Flea and Tick treatment, and England now does a titter at the custom to verify the level of anti-rabic protection. That's all. Well, England still does not accept dog under 6 months, otherwise, no problem really, except for dogs coming from developping countries.
So let's go travelling! SAhow your Beags the world!...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cheerio, thanks for that info. When I dream of winning the lottery and of what I'd do, I sometimes think that I couldn't go to Europe since I couldn't bring Jersey. Now I can keep dreaming of fun Beagle filled world tours! :biglaugh:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts