Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When ever I try to dry off my Beagle Lucy after her bath she always starts snapping at me. We had a battle on Saturday and she got so worked up I had to just leave her alone to dry naturally. Is there anything I can give her so she'll stay calm when I try to dry her? She also will not let us trim her claws.

·
Registered
320 Posts
When we try to dry off Zelda, it is seriously a two person job. It cannot be done at once though because she does escape us and run around in circles like a bullet. One way to make a beagle super hyper.... GIVE IT A BATH!! But seriously, a beagle doesn't need to be bathed that often at all. Only if she is really stinky or rolled into some mud or something. Their skin will dry out fast. From what I've heard/read, they only need a bath about once a month and no more than that.

Zelda doesn't like her nails clipped, but its getting much better. We touch her feet EVERY day. They do not know that tickling is fun and does not hurt. So let her know that touching feet is okay and fun! turn it into a game or something...
When we do clip her nails, we only do one foot at a time and give her a niiice treat afterwards.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Funny that this post should appear today. We took care of the nails on the 4 adult dogs and 5 puppies, in addition to bathing all 5 pups.

Okay...nail time. Mine hate to have their nails clipped. We started (2 trims ago) to use a Dremel tool and we just sand them down now. It is still a 2 person job and a couple of the dogs still flinch a little, but they certainly accept this more easily than the clippers. They sell a device called the Pet-icure that is similar to the Dremel that we use, but I don't know how loud or quiet it is since I have not invested in one. I saw that they sell them at Bed Bath and Beyond for $20. They also sell them off the TV infomercials, but I don't know how the price compares.

As for drying off the dogs...They jump out of the tub onto a towel. I throw another one over them and rub as quickly as possible for as long as I possibly can before they maneuver out from under the towel at which point they shake it all off. By the looks of the bathroom every possible loose hair goes flying. lol Then I let them run around like crazy rubbing themselves all over the carpet, which I am quite certain isn't too good for the carpet, but oh well. The dog door is locked shut and/or they are put in a kennel until they are dry. We do have a heater that we use in our camper that I have been known to put in front of the kennel door and let it blow directly in to help them dry a little faster. One of the dogs is afraid of the wind or blowers so I just have to let him dry completely natural.

When I bath the puppies I dry them off as much as I possibly can and then put them in a kennel that has a towel laying over a heating pad that helps to keep them a little warmer as they dry. I usually do 2 at a time so that they have each other to snuggle with also.

The only reason I bathe the pups is because they walk in their food bowl since they only started the weaning process a week ago. Although momma dog and I try to keep the whelping box as clean as possible, they also manage to walk right where another one just eliminated or defecated also. So gross! Since I have the new owners visiting their pups as often as possible, I like to try to keep them as clean as I can.

I only bathe our adult dogs when one or another really starts to look more brown than they are supposed to. I love the white on a Beagle to look white, not brown. lol I would guess that we bathe them about every two months.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I don't know how to keep your dog from snapping at you, other than using a muzzle during drying off times.

As for bathing frequency, I've been told 3-4 times a year is more than enough for most dogs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally Posted By: TwoBeagleDawgsI don't know how to keep your dog from snapping at you, other than using a muzzle during drying off times.
Yeah, I'm thinking that's what I might have to do. I'd hate doing it because she is so sweet otherwise.

·
Registered
400 Posts
For the clipping issue, I was taught to slowly warm up the beagle to the idea of having his/her paw handled. I'm not entirely sure this will work with an older dog, but with puppies, you can try rubbing and massaging the beagle's paw gently when you're cuddling or sitting with him/her. The idea is that your beagle will be comfortable with you handling the paw when it's time to clip--however, be cautious that one incident of clipping too deep may make future clippings very difficult. Good luck!

·
Registered
229 Posts
We were lucky to get Squeegee when he was only about 7 weeks old and started playing with his paws right away. He doesn't love having his nails clipped but will put up with it. The best thing that we've used during nail trimming, ear cleaning out and ear drops (since he's had 2 ear infections in both ears since we've had him) is to get a piece of american cheese and hold it between your thumb and forefinger so he can lick it and try to get it. I usually do one piece per paw, he'll lick it and try to get it for long enough to clip the nails on a paw and then I reward him with it. Same thing for ears, one piece per ear. That might also work after a bath if one person could hold the cheese while the other towels him off. If he doesn't like cheese, maybe you could try peanut butter or something else that takes longer to eat and maybe put it in a kong and hold it so he can lick it out while you dry him?

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
unfortunately my Teddy does the same thing, and he gets frequent baths because he gets into so much mischief! last night he got into my little sisters markers.......his normally white chest is currently a wonderful shade of purple and green... What we do is since its already winter, we just put his bed in front of the faux wood stove thats actually a heater and he gets dry quickly since he goes out like a light after every bath

·
Registered
87 Posts
Charlee thinks it's a game when I dry him off after a bath. I have to use old towels because he plays tug of war with the towel. As I'm drying off his back and legs, he's biting on teh front of the towel. I definitely get a good workout every bath!

·
Registered
35 Posts
bath time and nail trimming is an issue here.if the Beagles hear the bath running they run under the bed. Morrg seems to know more than Ike. if it time for flea treatment or pills she seems to know when i walk in the door. she is out of there. lol

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Bathing issue may be caused by some discomfort the dog has and is aggrevated by the drying action. A suggestion is to do the drying action at a time when the dog is not expecting it, like after play time. If no biting occurs then the issue is behavior and can be dealt with. If biting occurs now, there may be a physical discomfort.

As for nails, I got nothing for ya. First nail trimming at the vet for Vinny at 9 months could not be done. 3 adults could not control a 9 month Beagle. They suggested sedation the next time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She started doing it after we took her to PetSmart for a 40% off coupon. My wife and I think someone may have mistreated her. I started trying a little bribery with a half of a treat last night and trying to use the towel as a plaything. Work a little. She only snarled once.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Re: Beagle fighting with me when I try to dry her

Well, the PetSmart visit seems to be the answer. She may have been handled roughly, or simply been scared badly by something, and is fear biting/snapping. Hopefully, giving her treats during the drying process will cause her to associate drying with good things again.

I would NOT recommend using a muzzle of any kind. This will make her REALLY hate bath time/drying time. I had a terrier mix that snapped at my ex-vet ONE TIME when he accidentally hurt her with the needle while trying to take blood. She didn't bite, it was just a startled snap. So he put AGGRESSIVE DOG on her file, and they would muzzle her every time she came for anything. She was the SWEETEST dog ever, and had never growled, snarled, snapped or bitten anyone in her life. Her snap at the vet was a simple reaction to pain. I ended up switching vets, because they refused to not muzzle her, even for a simple exam. I'd been going there for many years - why they couldn't admit that she was NOT an aggressive dog is beyond me. When they put that muzzle on, and it was a nice cloth one, she would get SO upset and start this panicky breathing thing. She went from tolerating a vet visit quite well to having a traumatic visit every time. It was just awful for both of us.

I couldn't end my post without:

(from Sephly)
Quote:last night he got into my little sisters markers.......his normally white chest is currently a wonderful shade of purple and green...

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Re: Beagle fighting with me when I try to dry her

Originally Posted By: HeyWifeCharlee thinks it's a game when I dry him off after a bath. I have to use old towels because he plays tug of war with the towel. As I'm drying off his back and legs, he's biting on teh front of the towel. I definitely get a good workout every bath!
This is exactly what ours do when we try to dry them. They think it's playtime! Cassie loves to be dried off after a bath, it's like a massage for her.

I find that if the dogs get a little stinky between baths, baby wipes work wonders. I just rub them down with the wipes and fresh again.

Nail trimming is a disaster with us. I kept trying and trying with Duke, determined to save the $12 to take him to the groomers for a trim. Finally, after watching the wrestling struggle for 10 minutes, Dave looked at me and said, You're going to end up having him break his leg and spend a lot more than the $12 you're trying to save. He was right and we've been letting the groomers handle it ever since.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Originally Posted By: TwoBeagleDawgsAs for bathing frequency, I've been told 3-4 times a year is more than enough for most dogs.
Oh ok well i guess i had better stop bathing ace every weekend then

·
Registered
27 Posts
Gentle desensitization should help. With these kinds of things, you have to go wayyyyyyy back, sometimes to the teeniest tiniest baby starting point and work from there. It's worth it to go slow, because rushing the process will end you up at the beginning again. I had to do a lot of gentle desensitization with my rescue girl and learned this all the hard way!
Start with a towel, tossed somewhere in an area that your girl is comfortable in and see how she responds. It's possible that the towel itself triggers the association with the bad experience. The idea is to treat the towel as no big deal, it's just there, as you do something GREAT like handfeed kibble or give a great buttscratch. Gradually, as the dog gets more comfortable with one thing, progress forward. As you feed great high-value treats, place a corner of the towel over one of her front paws, then take it away. Eventually progress to petting parts of her body with the dry towel, very gently, etc. The idea is to go slowly enough that the dog doesn't even realize that more is happening with the towel while great things (treats) are happening.
This can take a painstakingly long time if the dog is really terrified of the memory association. It could also take a short time, depends on the dog! I would not muzzle - I worked at a vet hospital and know first-hand that stressed dogs becomes full-fledged panic attacks when a muzzle goes on. This happens for a number of reasons, the biggest of which is that you place the dog in a situation where they feel threatened and then you take away their best defense. Many owners of big breeds muzzle-train their dogs in a desensitization way, so that muzzles do not signify bad situations, but really signify nothing at all. But that's double the work!
Best of luck in helping Lucy with her towelphobia and I'm sorry to hear it developed... once bitten, twice shy.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's the time-honoured battle ... I'm in charge, you're not. Easier said than done! LOL. As much as I talk about taking control of the dog and being the leader of the pack, there are times when it's more difficult than others.

I don't know about Lucy's background but that could be a factor in her inability to accept bathing as a regular part of life. My Peanut (RIP) was so horribly unsocialized and afraid of humans (adopted him at age 8, he was an outside hunting dog) that it took me six months to be able to touch his paws without him baring his teeth and growling at me. A little bit at a time, every day, finally he was accepting of my touch. Bathing was done during that time and every time it was a battle. But I refused to be fearful of him and stared him down every time until his eyes averted me and I knew he had surrendered. It was hard but I knew he had to know who was the boss of the relationship.

It's hard to be harsh (if that's even the right word) but the dog world does operate differently than we do - dogs are looking for direction and we are responsible to give them that direction, that's how they will thrive. Muzzling is a good idea but it doesn't teach the dog, long-term, to submit to your control. Which is what they ultimately need and want.

If you are fearful of a bite, wear heavy gloves. A couple of times of working through this and showing Lucy who's boss should clear up the problem - these dogs are smart and learn fast.

Let us know how it all goes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Took her to the vet last night and he put a muzzle on her. She was pretty calm until he got to the last leg and then she started fighting. Afterwards though, I kept telling her how good she was and everything seemed to be OK. She hates the vet anyway. She starts the shivvering thing as soon as she gets inside the door. I'm going to try a muzzle and see how it works out.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Beagles are like our kids, the fear of the unknown is much worse than reality. If there are no physical problems aggrevated by the bathing, I think she will be fine after a while. Hang in there.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I lay dixie in between the coshing of the couch and and hold her down to her nails. She just lays there and try not to leave cause she knows she can't go anywhere in that position.

As for baths, I don't have much trouble with her, but I usually play with her after bath time with the towel and she don't mind.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts